Daytona 500 RACE thread ! !

Racing is dangerous.
Posting facts about it isn't.
NASCAR likes to boast that they have not lost a driver since 2001, and that is a remarkable accomplishment. It deserves praise.

Although it often comes across as an excuse to allow the kind of driving seen at Daytona and Talladega in recent years. They have been proactive on the safety front for two decades, and again that deserves praise, but it’s no reason to get complacent. Sometimes it comes over as “we have not lost a driver since 2001, yet.”

If this type of driving continues, there will be a tragic consequence. It will be from an “unpredictable incident” but in reality it was foreseen for a number of years.

The sport lost several drivers to basil skull fractures before Dale died in 2001. Head and neck support devices were optional, even though it was proven that it saved lives.

Right now we are at the moment where it’s optional to make desperation moves in the final laps, including dumping someone at 200mph headfirst into the wall in front of the entire field.

NASCAR likes to boast that they have not lost a driver since 2001, and that is a remarkable accomplishment. It deserves praise.

Although it often comes across as an excuse to allow the kind of driving seen at Daytona and Talladega in recent years. They have been proactive on the safety front for two decades, and again that deserves praise, but it’s no reason to get complacent. Sometimes it comes over as “we have not lost a driver since 2001, yet.”

If this type of driving continues, there will be a tragic consequence. It will be from an “unpredictable incident” but in reality it was foreseen for a number of years.

The sport lost several drivers to basil skull fractures before Dale died in 2001. Head and neck support devices were optional, even though it was proven that it saved lives.

Right now we are at the moment where it’s optional to make desperation moves in the final laps, including dumping someone at 200mph headfirst into the wall in front of the entire field.
We've not lost a driver since 2001 yet, but we've certainly come close. Michael McDowell in 2008, it's a miracle he walked away from that crash. Austin Dillon in 2015 & Newman last year.

Judging by the amount of loose cars, like C. Bell saving it at 180 mph after getting some air taken off his spoiler. Bubba and Denny had their moments as well, along with others.

These cars are anything, but easy to drive. Not to mention, the holding it to the floor only lasts a few laps. You'll see a lot of brake dragging and throttle management... It was actually pretty significant last night, just imagine how it will be in the heat of August.
you left out the split second reflexes, terrible visibility, wicked aero affects and the constant mind game going on during the race from all involved that Super Speedway racing entails. . There are many reasons besides waiting for crashes that make the Super Speedways so popular. My point was that the ability to use rain tires would in most cases allow the show to start and finish on schedule which would not only help fan interest but also the media.

While I don't think ROVALS were created for straight up chaos there were definitely designed for more "beating and banging" and by default more wrecks WHILE providing a better tv/spectator setup (infrastructure in place) relative to a traditional road course. It has the feel of the old Mickey Thompson Stadium Series and I loved watching that.

I've watched the trucks at Eldora and it's like a Saturday night free for all at the local shorty; lots of cautions and craziness. I'm expecting Bristol to be even nuttier given the added variables Bristol and the randomness a "first off" event provides. I equate it to a science experiment, relatively speaking, come to life.

See I disagree. If anything these should be easier to drive than the trucks on dirt. Also more talent. The top dudes do pretty well, the cautions are sparked typically by RWR types who suck

yawn. This happens every plate race. Anybody that doesn't know that has been asleep the last 20 years. My advice would be wait until the second race of the season if you can't handle it for whatever reason.
By the way they haven't used plates for years.

I was surprised that the 2nd park was able to catch up to the first pack at the end. In the 2nd pack you had McMurray, Truex, Cindric, Kurt and Byron and they were a straightaway behind. All but Cindric had damage. Took about 15-20 laps but they were able to catch the main pack and pass a few cars.

OK, I just finished watching the last segment of the race. I loved that McDowell won the race. I am so happy for him.
Now with the help of the DVR I'm a little sceptical about when FOX says was the time of the yellow.
Ill post that pic first..... at the time of caution McDowell was almost a car length ahead. Then Elliott comes around the back of McDowell and passes him down low and stays low till the start /finish. However the next pic I'm posting clearly shows its still under green after Fox declares yellow. Would it change anything? Prolly not..... But something is weird here.
20210216_135750.jpg

20210216_135712.jpg

What say you? I'm sure someone can show me where I'm wrong. TIA

OK, I just finished watching the last segment of the race. I loved that McDowell won the race. I am so happy for him.
Now with the help of the DVR I'm a little sceptical about when FOX says was the time of the yellow.
Ill post that pic first..... at the time of caution McDowell was almost a car length ahead. Then Elliott comes around the back of McDowell and passes him down low and stays low till the start /finish. However the next pic I'm posting clearly shows its still under green after Fox declares yellow. Would it change anything? Prolly not..... But something is weird here.
View attachment 54098
View attachment 54099
What say you? I'm sure someone can show me where I'm wrong. TIA

Keselowski was way out of shape when he hit the 22

Yeah. Fox definitely has the timing of the yellow wrong.
yeah somebody was saying on another board that Nascar stops the timing when they push the caution button and they look at the tape instead of using the timing lines. IDK about all that.

I bet Austin was right, I bet it was a pretty quiet plane ride home. The whole Cindric family came and hung out in our pit when we were racing in Concord NC a few years ago and Austin seemed like he is a pretty nice kid and was really excited about racing. Damn, that had to be about 8 or 10 years ago.

Hambone outran his Yota interference and they cut him out of the herd. There is a reason nobody has won 3 in a row. The herd is ruthless

• Haha
Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom