Determining a Champion

I don't think "better" was ever part of the thought process. It was all about getting multiple drivers into contention in the final few races, whether they deserved to be there or not. Even though that goal was generally met, it didn't guarantee a "Game 7 walk off moment", so they kept fiddling until they got the current hot mess. The funny part is, other than maybe 2016, the current format hasn't really generated any of those unforgettable moments in the final race either. Much like this year, they have all been pretty anticlimactic. Even in 2016, the more "exciting" finish probably would have been Edwards racing Logano, not wrecking them both and Johnson basically inheriting the lead.
Consistent performance is the enemy of the 'Game 7 moment'. That's why its importance was dumped.

That's what I meant when I said NASCAR's devalued consistency.
yeah I know. I didn't think I needed to use the "sarcastic" sign with you :idunno: When they came up with this latest football version there was outcry similar to what Harvick did this year. Now nobody gives to much of a hoot about it. From, resigned in Oklahoma

Wrong about what?
Wrong about a system that doesn't require constant changes. Nascar went for quite a few years with the same point system for a championship winner. Oh they made minor adjustment giving some point here and there and then modify that as well. Basic thing is the Champion was the team/driver who earned it over all others. Then Drunken Brian came along and it has been a colossal FU ever since.

Wrong about a system that doesn't require constant changes. Nascar went for quite a few years with the same point system for a championship winner. Oh they made minor adjustment giving some point here and there and then modify that as well. Basic thing is the Champion was the team/driver who earned it over all others. Then Drunken Brian came along and it has been a colossal FU ever since.
I'm trying to disagree with you.
Nope, I got nuthin'.

once Brian let the Media get their foot in the door with this latest change, it is going to be hard to get rid of them after the booming success with the gerbils and the cut off implications countdown show.

I don't mind the stages, I think it improves the on track action.
I just can't stand the last race of the season. Everyone thought Kenseth
screwed the pooch by winning 1 race and the championship. How about Kyle missing a ton of races and getting a championship?

I don't mind the stages, I think it improves the on track action.
I just can't stand the last race of the season. Everyone thought Kenseth
screwed the pooch by winning 1 race and the championship. How about Kyle missing a ton of races and getting a championship?
I like the stages except for road courses because the race for stage wins etc for add excitement at other tracks. However several great road races been pretty much ruined by the timing of the stages and forced points strategy resulting. I remember Byron being dominant once at Sonoma but had no choice but to give it up for stage points because of the stage timing. That race always sticks out in my mind.

I like the stages except for road courses because the race for stage wins etc for add excitement at other tracks. However several great road races been pretty much ruined by the timing of the stages and forced points strategy resulting. I remember Byron being dominant once at Sonoma but had no choice but to give it up for stage points because of the stage timing. That race always sticks out in my mind.
At least something sticks........... your lucky. :sarcasm:

Yeah that have been a number of fans saying the same thing about stages on road courses. I agree.

Back
Top Bottom