Dirt Late Models 2021

Great and wild WoO race last night ends with Kyle Strickler getting his second WoO victory in three races this year.

And with that, he's now going to run there full-time instead of Lucas. Seems like the smart decision, he'll run better on average there.

Great and wild WoO race last night ends with Kyle Strickler getting his second WoO victory in three races this year.

And with that, he's now going to run there full-time instead of Lucas. Seems like the smart decision, he'll run better on average there.

I read the team switched to Longhorn chassis as well. Sure seems to have made a difference, although Kyle is pretty familiar with Volusia.

Lucas Oil has rescheduled the race weekend that conflicted with the Bristol WoO show in April. I would expect a decent number of invites to go out to the Lucas regulars now that they are available. Whatever went on behind the scenes, as a fan, I am glad they got this worked out.

If you're not close enough to come to tomorrow night's World of Outlaws race at Smoky Mountain Speedway, then check it out on DirtVision. In addition to the WoO regulars and regional drivers, most of the Lucas Oil drivers are coming along with Bobby Pierce and Stewart Friesen is flying in from Vegas to race as well. Expecting over 50 cars tomorrow night.

If you're not close enough to come to tomorrow night's World of Outlaws race at Smoky Mountain Speedway, then check it out on DirtVision. In addition to the WoO regulars and regional drivers, most of the Lucas Oil drivers are coming along with Bobby Pierce and Stewart Friesen is flying in from Vegas to race as well. Expecting over 50 cars tomorrow night.
Go Ricky Weiss!!!

The Silver Dollar Nationals at I-80 in July, which I'll be able to attend for the first time, are now going to pay $53,000 to win and $5,300 to start. Cool to see that kind of payout for the whole field for a change, rather than front-loaded.

Went to a WoOLMS race, and a LOLMDS race broke out. Always interesting to see most of them together.

Unfortunately, the track conditions did not make for a good race. It will be better next time out.

Brownstown tonight was an embarrassment for the track and the series. Pulling the plug was the right thing to do to avoid further injury and calamity, but there is no other way to put it. The race was canceled / postponed mid program due to dangerous track conditions.

Brownstown tonight was an embarrassment for the track and the series. Pulling the plug was the right thing to do to avoid further injury and calamity, but there is no other way to put it. The race was canceled / postponed mid program due to dangerous track conditions.

Just got home from a cookout, what did I miss? Must have been pretty bad if they canceled mid show. Hopefully they put the replay on the app. Who got hurt?

Just got home from a cookout, what did I miss? Must have been pretty bad if they canceled mid show. Hopefully they put the replay on the app. Who got hurt?

Three cars flipped and junked in separate incidents. Brian Shirley was the first, don't recall the second, then Jason "Fast" Eddy was the third. They never restarted after his crash, and he was airlifted from the track, reportedly awake and alert.

Way too many cars up on two wheels through 1 and 2. They made the right but difficult decision to postpone the show until May, but it's a bad look that it got to that point.

Three cars flipped and junked in separate incidents. Brian Shirley was the first, don't recall the second, then Jason "Fast" Eddy was the third. They never restarted after his crash, and he was airlifted from the track, reportedly awake and alert.

Way too many cars up on two wheels through 1 and 2. They made the right but difficult decision to postpone the show until May, but it's a bad look that it got to that point.

Thanks for the rundown. I was browsing twitter and it sounds like it was pretty bad tonight. A shame as a few of these guys would've been at Bristol if they would've postponed in the first place.

Glad everyone is ok.

This is the biggest shakeup I've seen in the late model world since I've been following it more closely for the past few years. Owens and Sheppard are still winless on the season, right? Davenport has been really strong here and there, but is far from dominant. Meanwhile, Hudson O'Neal and Devin Moran have taken huge leaps forward.

For the technical geeks here's a great shot of Rocket XR1 fully rolled over on RR. Blow the picture up to see details. I'm a little puzzled about the 4 bar bracket on frame. Why does it have the elephant ears extending to the rear? Amazing these cars don't shed parts like mad on rough tracks. The J-Bar is now a huge aluminum billet part. The used to run a straight bar no bigger than your thumb. Now it's almost 4 fingers wide i mid section. I'll try to find a picture of modern J-Bar.

Attachments

• rocket chassis.jpg
    rocket chassis.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 107
The text of that article is a mess. If that's what he believes explains why he wasn't running very good back then. Has it all mixed up. But the icture is what I wanted. I'll find another from under the car to better reference how they work.

Under middle of car looking toward rear bumper. Driveshaft would be running thru your brainpan if it were there. Very nice pinion mount bracket! Hand is reaching in thru left wheel well.

Attachments

• ctrp-1109-27-racing-rearend-build.jpg
    ctrp-1109-27-racing-rearend-build.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 102
I can't help but feel like Grove needs a catch fence I remember years back Kasey flipped his sprint car out of there

Owens and Sheppard are still winless on the season, right?

Funnily enough, the two winners in tonight's twin preliminary features at Cherokee were...Owens and Sheppard. These races don't pay points though and were each against half the field. Still a big step in the right direction for those two.

Quite an opener for the weekend tonight at Farmer City with a first time series winner for WoO. A short 25 lap feature, but action packed. Tomorrow night is 75 laps and will be wild if they get some long runs through lapped traffic on this bull ring.

Davenport wins the $21,000 / 75 lap feature at Tazewell with Kyle Larson second and Tyler Erb third. Not the best track IMO.

About to start is the $20,000 / 75 lap WoOLMS feature at Farmer City. If it is anywhere near as good as last night, it'll be a treat.

The WoO race was indeed very good. Nearly went without a caution, which is remarkable. 70 green flag laps until RTJ broke with 5 to go while running second. Bobby Pierce led the entire race until Cade Dillard got around him on the restart. Pierce then got wound up on top and was able to slide back by Dillard with 2 to go and win. Dillard second, Brandon Sheppard third after starting 18th.

Pretty good WoO race tonight at Bristol. Jimmy Owens looked to be dominant but broke a wheel about halfway through the race. Josh Richards inherited the lead and held on for the victory. Nice to see that Bowyer #14 car running well. Chris Madden finishes second, and Brandon Sheppard third. They will be back at it tomorrow night.

Series points leader Kyle Strickler set the track record in qualifying and won his heat, but was light at the scales after the heat and got DQed (a page out of the Bloomquist playbook). He did not recover, as he took a provisional and then crashed in the feature when he ran over Owens' missing wheel while being lapped.

Last edited:
Whoa, the Strickler wreck, which the broadcast had no replay of, was worse than I thought.

Holy cow I was watching the Outlaws highlights and they never even said he went over.

They were flat flying around there

Not ideal to race in the afternoon, but glad they are going to make it up.

Back
Top Bottom