Dirt Late Models 2021

Wicked crash. Not sure why Strickler spun out like that, but Feger had no time to do anything other than plow right into him.

Main event coming up for $127,000 to win. Davenport has to come from mid-pack if he's going to win. Sheppard starting on the pole. This should be good.

Awesome racing so far, but too many cautions. Hopefully we get some longer runs.

Agreed this would be great without the yellows

Everytime someone makes a move on Shepherd...

Larson gets a little overzealous trying to take third and spins out. That's a shame, he was ready to make a charge. This is a crazy race, so many comers and goers. I wonder if Davenport hurt something when Bronson slid him and he got up over the berm. Hasn't seemed the same since.

Overton drove a good patient race and it paid off. McCreadie second, Bronson third, McDowell fourth, Sheppard fifth.

How about Nick Hoffman, who barely runs any late model stuff, finishing a quiet ninth?

Looking forward to them doing it all over again Friday and Saturday.

Tonight is the prelim night for tomorrow, so split field and two features again. Brandon Overton wins the first feature easily, looking smooth and unbeatable. Ryan Gustin, Darrell Lanigan, Scott Bloomquist, Kyle Larson, Devin Moran follow.

Second feature coming up.

Gregg Satterlee takes feature two over Shannon Babb, Kyle Bronson, and Jonathan Davenport. Good intense race between those top four.

Chris Madden made it interesting late in the race, but nobody beat Brandon Overton all weekend. He wins four features and $273,000 in prize money, and two straight Dreams. Madden finishes second, Chris Ferguson third, Jonathan Davenport fourth, Darrell Lanigan fifth, Kyle Larson sixth.

Brandon Overton continues his domination with a WoO win at Lernerville tonight. Tomorrow they are racing for $30,000 there.

Lucas is canceled for rain at Deer Creek, will hopefully get to race tomorrow.

Big Lucas show at Smoky Mountain completely washed out last night and tonight. Summer Nationals also rained out for tonight. Meanwhile, the WoO late models are racing for $20,000 to win in Jackson, MN, and only 16 cars showed up. Weird night.

Got to meet my driver today, sadly it rained before he even got to turn a lap. On to Atlanta in the morning

Attachments

• B4AF6421-E09C-421B-942D-C63E1A904CF8.jpeg
    B4AF6421-E09C-421B-942D-C63E1A904CF8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88
Big Lucas show at Smoky Mountain completely washed out last night and tonight. Summer Nationals also rained out for tonight. Meanwhile, the WoO late models are racing for $20,000 to win in Jackson, MN, and only 16 cars showed up. Weird night.
It was a bummer for us at SMS. We had a huge crowd and the storms rolled in as hot laps were starting. One storm cell after another kept popping up behind the others. It was still raining when I left around 9:30ish. I hope we can get a decent date and most of the fans can make it back. I don't know if I've ever been 0 for 2 on a race weekend.

We have a make up date. It's Friday, October 6. Hopefully Larson will still get to race.

Overton wins another. Short feature by late model standards, but you got to see a dandy with a lot of action. Track was as good as I've seen it. Hopefully they can maintain that throughout the week with hot weather rolling in.

A race like that really shows what the Lucas Oil series can be, and why it's the best of the best.

That was arguably even better tonight. Feel like this is stone of the best racing the series has gotten to do this year with all of the rainouts and sketchy track conditions.

I was pulling for Weiss and RTJ, but Erb did a good job holding them off. Funny how Terbo still has the #46 on the roof panel from the Days of Thunder scheme.

Interesting how Davenport doesn't look so strong suddenly, and McCreadie as well.

Really hoping I can attend Saturday at this point.

That was arguably even better tonight. Feel like this is stone of the best racing the series has gotten to do this year with all of the rainouts and sketchy track conditions.

I was pulling for Weiss and RTJ, but Erb did a good job holding them off. Funny how Terbo still has the #46 on the roof panel from the Days of Thunder scheme.

Interesting how Davenport doesn't look so strong suddenly, and McCreadie as well.

Really hoping I can attend Saturday at this point.

That was fun. I really thought RTJ had them until the caution with under 10 to go. Hated to see Hudson break as he was running good tonight, but he is still set up good for tomorrow.

The biggest surprise for me so far has to be BShepp. He looks like he's dragging a boat anchor out there the past 2 nights. I haven't seen them run this bad before.

There is a team near me that runs a Rocket and they have parked it in favor of last year's car because they have had no speed in the new one. Rocket is either out to lunch or they've inadvertently turned out some bad chassis.

There is a team near me that runs a Rocket and they have parked it in favor of last year's car because they have had no speed in the new one. Rocket is either out to lunch or they've inadvertently turned out some bad chassis.

Wow. They're definitely off in 2021. Sheppard took a long time to come around and it's still a struggle against the stiffer competition. Owens too. There are some wins, like Terbo last night, but seems like the success is sporadic.

I grew up watching Joe and Steve Kosiski race late models at Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, KS. They were my racing heroes when I was 6-10 years old. It's kinda surreal now that they own I-80 Speedway and Joe runs it, hosting some of the bigger Lucas races of the year, and his son Andrew is still driving a #53 late model.

It looks like I will be back in town to attend Saturday.

Terbo wins again and takes the $30k. Impressive to see them run 53 laps without caution. The track has been great every night.

Made it to I-80 tonight for the finale. 80 laps with one caution, went fast. Kyle Bronson breaks through and scores the big victory. He's been close several times, but usually uses his stuff up. I thought Tim McCreadie was sitting pretty in third most of the race behind early leader Chase Junghans and Bronson. He got to second, but Bronson ran away with it.

Really remarkable that this race doesn't just pay a big winner's purse, but also $5,300 to start, which is huge for the teams. This was my first Lucas Oil race in person, and it definitely did not disappoint.

Looks like it's basically official now. What a shame for late model racing and Midwest racing in general. One more season and one more big Silver Dollar Nationals with a big bonus structure in place to try to draw even more drivers.

I
Looks like it's basically official now. What a shame for late model racing and Midwest racing in general. One more season and one more big Silver Dollar Nationals with a big bonus structure in place to try to draw even more drivers.

I-80 says it's not true
Screenshot_20210726-102620_Facebook.jpg

Talked to someone who knows the owner and he will be selling after the 2022 season.

Talked to someone who knows the owner and he will be selling after the 2022 season.

Sounds like what the Lincoln newspaper got wrong was that the track is definitively closing down. Kosiski has now said in multiple interviews that there will be "one more year" of the Silver Dollar Nationals, that sale negotiations are ongoing, and that it's time for them to step away.

One can hope that the property will be purchased by an entity that wishes to continue operating the race track, but it is hope.

Back
Top Bottom