DIY Projects

That is most definitely RED, Bobby.
It’s called Safety Red. It definitely looks bright. I’d hate to have to scuff it and go with the darker Troy-Built red. Maybe the gray and white in the motor and handle will tone it down a bit.
It will really be noticeable when I attach the darker plastic grass bag chute. :(

I favor Safety Yellow in my garage. Open baffle speakers (speakers on a board) make the garage into a speaker box. I painted my workbench yellow when I kept loosing small screws, nuts, etc. in the wood grain. It tuned out to brighten the work area (I didn't have adequate lighting at the time). Oil based paint holds up, some of it was applied 25 years ago and some just 3 years ago.

open baffle speakers.jpg

Looks like the VS Jet lathe I had. Is that a Rikon bandsaw? Rikon is in Billerica Mass, maybe an hour or so drive from me. They would hold scratch and dent sales every so often. Buddy bought a 14'' bandsaw that the paint had been scuffed off in shipping by the packing material for $300.

Guess what I paid for this? No stand or miter gauge and a small chip on the table. Hint, under $100.

https://www.rikontools.com/product/50-120

Yep, the Jet 1221VS lathe (got into pen turning). I like Rikon products, I also have the 1" belt sander/5" disk. The drill press is a Menards Masterforce (a Jet with cheaper motor & bearings), it has a variable belt pulley (don't have to change pulleys to change speeds). Everything is on wheels so I can park the car when I'm done playing. I haven't worked out my cheap dust collection system yet, I'm building a base for old shop vac and a Dust Deputy that work together (with wheels of course).

Motor in my JET dust collector burned out. Bought the Harbor Freight one, 1550 cfm vs 1100, 2.5 hp vs 1.5. Put a 1 micron bag on it along with a home made Thien baffle. Worked great and saved a lot of money.

Well that sucked. I went to touch up a few spots on the mower today. Directions on the paint says, “fully dry in 24 hours.”
I didn’t continue to the part that says, “may recoat after 48 hours...” It wrinkled.
So I’m going to strip it and repaint it.
:(
Also, won’t be able to salvage the OEM decals.
Oh well.

Did you check ebay? I've bought some really old really rare decals from there.
I’ll try it. Thanks.
I stripped the deck with Jasco gel and then took it up to the sand blaster.
I’m going to use the Troy-built farm implement red. It’s a little less obnoxious. :D

I started to take the old motor apart today to clean up the old parts and swap them over to the new block. It appears the "expert" over on the Snapper Forum instructed be to get the wrong motor. My ignition, sheet metal, etc. is not compatible. Too late to return the new short block so it will go into my recycling bin.
I don't think anyone rebuilds lawnmower engines. Looks like I'll either be looking for a complete new replacement engine or if I can't make one work, I'll abandon this project.

Oh, Bobby. :(
Yeah it sucks. I like this mower. I called a few places and it looks like you can get pistons oversized in increments of .010", so maybe I can get this engine rebuilt. I contacted the mower shop where this mower was purchased in 1992. Family owned since 1968 so maybe they can help. I'll take the engine there on Monday and see. :)

Turns out nothing in this new block is compatible with my old motor. :(
I went to the only two hardcore mower shops in the area and nobody is interested in rebuilding my old 3.5 hp motor, but they did want to sell me a new mower. One guy tried to scare me off with the $85/hr labor rate. I told him money wasn't a problem. He didn't want to earn my money he just wanted to sell me a mower.
I took the old motor apart and the bore really doesn't look all that bad, the valves look ok, too. The head wasn't tight and that is where the oil was coming from. That and the lower crank seal. This isn't a steel bore, it's aluminum and nobody around here wants to bore an aluminum cylinder. I ordered some gaskets and seals and I'll split the crankcase and clean and reseal everything.
The carb and fuel tank assy. were dirty (and 26 yrs old) so I ordered some parts to rebuild the carb, too.
It's going to look awesome and it will be operational. Not exactly the way I wished it would turn out but I'm ok with it.
Blower housing, head and some other parts are up at the blaster. More pics when I get my goodies back. :)
I did strip the new paint off and repaint with a less excited red.

I made some sliding shelves for my pantry cabinet, actually they are trays. They extend 100%. When cleaning out the shelves I discovered many out of date and duplicate items since I needed to pull out about half the stuff on the shelf to access the stuff in the back. I lost a few inches on the sides but gained half a shelf. The top one binds a bit but the lower two work fine. I have room for another one which I'll make for canned goods. The project was something new for me. I'll be making a spice rack in the bottom one to keep them from moving around; I'm surprised at how many spices I have, I could probably get rid of a bunch (I don't use that many).

SlidingShelf1.jpg

SlidingShelf2.jpg

I made some sliding shelves for my pantry cabinet, actually they are trays. They extend 100%. When cleaning out the shelves I discovered many out of date and duplicate items since I needed to pull out about half the stuff on the shelf to access the stuff in the back. I lost a few inches on the sides but gained half a shelf. The top one binds a bit but the lower two work fine. I have room for another one which I'll make for canned goods. The project was something new for me. I'll be making a spice rack in the bottom one to keep them from moving around; I'm surprised at how many spices I have, I could probably get rid of a bunch (I don't use that many).

View attachment 34788

View attachment 34789
That's really sharp looking. Good job. :beerbang:

View attachment 34788

View attachment 34789
Nice. I love the pull-outs. Kitchen remodel is on my list. I have a guy at work that makes cabinets on the side. He dovetails drawers, etc.
At some point he’s going to get a bunch of my money.
I like to do cabinets but I don’t have the equipment or space anymore.

Mower works great! When I got the carb apart I realized that someone had a spring and seat in wrong which may explain why this thing was hard to start at times.
Pretty grungy...

This stuff is for real for degreasing---> http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/Industrial-Purple-Cleaner-Degreaser-Concentrate

This is after mowing the front and rear lawns :cool:

I still have to paint the Snapper letters on the front and I'm waiting on some decals that I ordered online.

The neighbors offered their self-propelled Toro because they knew my mower was apart. Even though I didn't use their mower I appreciate the offer and because of that they will get a full slab of baby back pork ribs and some grilled corn on the cob this afternoon. :)

The neighbors offered their self-propelled Toro because they knew my mower was apart. Even though I didn't use their mower I appreciate the offer and because of that they will get a full slab of baby back pork ribs and some grilled corn on the cob this afternoon. :)
Damn tootin. :beerbang:

While getting ready for the camping season I found that my toy hauler's fuel station pump locked up. My setup includes two thirty gallon fuel tanks. One for the onboard generator and the other to fuel the toys. Or at times an additional thirty gallons that can be pumped into the generator tank. The pump is a GPI EZ-8 RV model. They are known to go bad over time. Fortunately it's an easy fix. Simply taking out the four mounting screws and then four more for the gear cover. Pop out the old gears and slide in the new. Replace the gasket cleaning the corrosion beforehand and it's good as new. Thanks again to YouTube for letting me aquire the knowledge to do so. Project cost $20.

e3dae7f7e1d13001cbe27a5d5541f693.jpg
ef2b19c0b6bb26b5b9c52e9b8903c4f1.jpg
d008516e88ff881d683bc2deee9115ed.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ha. So I gave the neighbor kid and his mom a slab of pig ribs and some grilled corn because I appreciated them offering me their mower while mine was apart. Today the kid shows up with the clean empty container and a 12er of my favorite suds. Pretty good neighbors. :punkrocke

Back
Top Bottom