DIY Projects

Finished with the Poly on the one side. Only this side to go. Funny how the light and gain direction changes the appearance of the same wood.
87b311d797698fce04058468f9258b5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Finished up a pair of double doors for the hall closet today. Hung and installed the hardware. Next up, the hall bathroom closet door. Already have it cut, put together and stained. Will finish up the poly tomorrow.
1763d295085e93ff1e085443eb027bf0.jpg

Here's the bathroom closet door in prep. Including the door jam that I'll have to install first. These should all be done and ready to hang tomorrow although it probably won't happen until later in the week.

After this install, I have two more single and one more double door to make for three other upstairs closets. They are all the same design. Kind of a barn door type theme.

c259ddae4c39074982af0339aa697e96.jpg

I've now completed four doors and I'm building my fifth. The one I'm working on now is the widest to date at 26 1/2". They've all turned out well so far. Next, I'm going to try my hand at a slightly wider door and added thickens for the bedrooms and bathrooms. Attached is the most recent door for the towel closet and the current build for a walk in closet.

8b2c6d7ec4ad48dc2e7369c1ca0ed4e7.jpg
301b3fcde1c0fa8a3d6493ff6849112e.jpg

I made some speakers for a 3.1 system for my secondary TV. My original design was to make some black boxes to fit in the TV console. But I decided to test my skills by finishing them with cherry veneer and a 5/4 (1-1/4") cherry face. I got the crossover design from a customer design at Parts Express (crossovers are a dark art), this design has an off the shelf crossover with a resisters, capacitors, and inductors added.

speakersA.jpg

I routed the edges of the face with a 3/4" bit but it still looked too square to me. So I used a plane and sander to shape the face.

speakersB.jpg

Then I finished them with tung oil. I try to do finishing in the spring or fall when the furnace isn't running but I missed the window this year. Finishing is a pain fighting dust in my house (maybe I should adjust my cleaning frequency).

speakersC.jpg

The current assignment for these speakers is as a fancy soundbar. They should out last the TV console and they will be good for a set up with a little more stereo seperation. I considered matching the cherry stain of the console but decided the natural look will be better for the speakers future use. I'll be building a subwoofer to replace the cheap one I'm using for this application sometime down the road.

speakersD.jpg

Ok, so the stinking wind is back. Currently 20 mph with occasional 35 mph gusts. I'm moving stuff out of my garage and into my new Tuff Shed. Glancing from the shed back to my house I quickly realize that one of my roof turbines is missing :mad: After a short search I locate it in the neighbor's backyard, reasonably mashed. WTH?
I get the ladder out, get up on the roof and measure the vent; 12". The garage turbine is making a little noise so I figure I'll replace it too while I'm up there. I head to Lowe's and get a couple of turbine hats. The missing one went smoothly and I even got some Henry's to re-caulk just in case. I get over to the (attached) garage turbine, remove it and attempt to install the new hat only to find out this one is 14" not 12". :dunce:
Back to Lowe's for a return but they don't have a 14" whirly bird. Off to Home Depot. They don't have a 14" hat but they have a complete 14" kit, for twice the money :mad:
It's always something.

I made some speakers for a 3.1 system for my secondary TV. My original design was to make some black boxes to fit in the TV console. But I decided to test my skills by finishing them with cherry veneer and a 5/4 (1-1/4") cherry face. I got the crossover design from a customer design at Parts Express (crossovers are a dark art), this design has an off the shelf crossover with a resisters, capacitors, and inductors added.

View attachment 31008

I routed the edges of the face with a 3/4" bit but it still looked too square to me. So I used a plane and sander to shape the face.

View attachment 31009

Then I finished them with tung oil. I try to do finishing in the spring or fall when the furnace isn't running but I missed the window this year. Finishing is a pain fighting dust in my house (maybe I should adjust my cleaning frequency).

View attachment 31010

The current assignment for these speakers is as a fancy soundbar. They should out last the TV console and they will be good for a set up with a little more stereo seperation. I considered matching the cherry stain of the console but decided the natural look will be better for the speakers future use. I'll be building a subwoofer to replace the cheap one I'm using for this application sometime down the road.

View attachment 31011
They look awesome! I'm sure the sound is the same.....

Ok, so the stinking wind is back. Currently 20 mph with occasional 35 mph gusts. I'm moving stuff out of my garage and into my new Tuff Shed. Glancing from the shed back to my house I quickly realize that one of my roof turbines is missing :mad: After a short search I locate it in the neighbor's backyard, reasonably mashed. WTH?
I get the ladder out, get up on the roof and measure the vent; 12". The garage turbine is making a little noise so I figure I'll replace it too while I'm up there. I head to Lowe's and get a couple of turbine hats. The missing one went smoothly and I even got some Henry's to re-caulk just in case. I get over to the (attached) garage turbine, remove it and attempt to install the new hat only to find out this one is 14" not 12". :dunce:
Back to Lowe's for a return but they don't have a 14" whirly bird. Off to Home Depot. They don't have a 14" hat but they have a complete 14" kit, for twice the money :mad:
It's always something.
It never ends.

I’ve spent a pile of dough on my house this year.
Still on the list: new windows, kitchen overhaul, left perimeter fence, new driveway.
I’m sure more will be added to the list before I get to it all.

I like'em. Also agree for not going full Cherry. I made a coffee table out of cherry that because of sun exposure is damn near black.
Damn I miss my ww'ing tools.

Hung the walk in closet door today. That's the last of the doors I'm working on for now. I've got another closet door that will need built after I remodel the master bath. I'm also going to build doors for two bathrooms and the bedrooms. They are all going to be similar style to what I've already done. I just need to come up with the funds, so they are on hold for now.

e67768917ee9754727b037aef8938296.jpg

I haven't really been paying any attention to those stickers that are on the wood that I've been purchasing at Lowe's and Home Depot..... Until today.....

@Clutch

I've just been peeling them off. Who would think I'd be purchasing wood from the other hemisphere here in Western Pennsylvania?
89eb72fdb2902c8165ae3e64682720b0.jpg
1f48d1ab7c0bf0b1b05bef80e4b8a694.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I haven't really been paying any attention to those stickers that are on the wood that I've been purchasing at Lowe's and Home Depot..... Until today.....

@Clutch

I've just been peeling them off. Who would think I'd be purchasing wood from the other hemisphere here in Western Pennsylvania?

You prolly could’ve got a bit of a break on the shipping. :D

@Clutch

That's funny. I'll bet you paid less than we would here.

This week, replacing the water pump in the front loading washer. YouTube proves one again to be the best tool that doesn't actually fit in the toolbox. Is there anything that isn't on YouTube when it comes to DIY projects?

Tearing apart the washing machine to the point of removing the pump took less than 10 minutes time. Once I was able to hold the part in my hand getting the actual part #, 15 minutes later I had the part ordered at a far better price than I could pick it up for locally. Turned what was destined to be a $300+
bill into just over $50. Sweet.
d861de17970f1a5b4c4a5a752b30fdad.jpg

This week, replacing the water pump in the front loading washer. YouTube proves one again to be the best tool that doesn't actually fit in the toolbox. Is there anything that isn't on YouTube when it comes to DIY projects?

Tearing apart the washing machine to the point of removing the pump took less than 10 minutes time. Once I was able to hold the part in my hand getting the actual part #, 15 minutes later I had the part ordered at a far better price than I could pick it up for locally. Turned what was destined to be a $300+
bill into just over $50. Sweet.
d861de17970f1a5b4c4a5a752b30fdad.jpg

You must love working from home. :D

Good, I don't know..... Productive..... You bet. We've been in this house for 25 years now. Finally getting around to getting some things done that should have been long ago. ;)

Know whatcha mean about living in a house and letting things go for twenty-five years. We lived in the same house in Hackettstown for 28 years and it wasn't until we decided to sell before we did some things that needed to be done to sell the house. Once they were completed we really enjoyed them and I walked around kicking myself for not doing them sooner. BUT, it was a lesson learned as when we relocated to North Carolina, the things we wanted done for our comfort and convenience got done. Works much better that way. ;)

Know whatcha mean about living in a house and letting things go for twenty-five years. We lived in the same house in Hackettstown for 28 years and it wasn't until we decided to sell before we did some things that needed to be done to sell the house. Once they were completed we really enjoyed them and I walked around kicking myself for not doing them sooner. BUT, it was a lesson learned as when we relocated to North Carolina, the things we wanted done for our comfort and convenience got done. Works much better that way. ;)
Feels good to get those things done.

Next project..... Partitioning off a small laundry room in the corner of the garage. It's only 7'6" x 7'. Not too big. I only have to build two walls as I'm going to be working off of the corner of the garage interior. The ceiling is 9'4" so I've got to go with 10' 2x4's. Cheaper to do that than to build 8' wall's having to construct another ceiling with a narrow gap above. Anyhow, picking up the lumber tomorrow. Project cost will total under $200 excluding cabinetry. That is for another day.

That is an interesting site - calculators for anything you want to build. I wish they had the internet when I was first working on my house. I had a few books plus trial and error.

Way back we had to write stick by stick the number of 2x to rebuild a house after a major fire.
Now there's a computer program, plug in the homes dimensions and hit enter. Does in minutes what took us a week, or more, to hand write.

Replaced the washer water pump today. Tested out just fine. Feels good to save a few $'s.

Picked up the lumber yesterday morning to start the new laundry area. Plan on having the studded walls built and up before kickoff Sunday evening. Then, I'll have a little wiring to do before closing the walls in.

Replaced the washer water pump today. Tested out just fine. Feels good to save a few $'s.

Picked up the lumber yesterday morning to start the new laundry area. Plan on having the studded walls built and up before kickoff Sunday evening. Then, I'll have a little wiring to do before closing the walls in.
Way to go you tube you da man. :D

When I had my Dakota, I had an issue with the heater. The dealer quoted me nearly four hundred dollars to do the repair. Said the unit had to be removed which involved removing the dash among other things.
So ...........went to www.youtube.com and found it was possibly a thermalswitch thatchiest less than twenty dollars and took me ten minutes to install. Good ole youtube!!!

Framed a couple walls this weekend. Finished the wiring. Going to hang osb board on the exterior. Not sure how I'm going to finish the inside yet.
856ab4a09f28df1178c50fb991f5858c.jpg

Sill, sole, or bottom plate, terminology varies by region isn't required to be PT where you are?
When we did our laundry room we laid out the footprint and snapped chalk lines. Ours had the rough-in for a toilet. Used construction adhesive and a Remington power shot to shoot nails into the concrete.
I left to run errands and my son shot the sill for the toilet wall on the wrong side of the chalk line. Did you know there's no rough 8.5'' dimension for toilet rough in?
You have no idea on how tenacious construction adhesive is, or nails shot into concrete.

Sill, sole, or bottom plate, terminology varies by region isn't required to be PT where you are?
When we did our laundry room we laid out the footprint and snapped chalk lines. Ours had the rough-in for a toilet. Used construction adhesive and a Remington power shot to shoot nails into the concrete.
I left to run errands and my son shot the sill for the toilet wall on the wrong side of the chalk line. Did you know there's no rough 8.5'' dimension for toilet rough in?
You have no idea on how tenacious construction adhesive is, or nails shot into concrete.
I am not familiar with your terminology. 'Sill', do mean like a window sill? If that's the case, there's no requirement that I ever knew of. That window in the pic is a 'stationary side' of a sliding glass patio door that I replaced a long long time ago. That is the east wall of the garage. There's another just like it on the south wall. Just there to let in the light.

'PT', another term IDK.

I only made this area as big as necessary. No need for a toilet in this location. Already have 2 1/2 baths in the house.

I put these walls up so they could easily be dismantled. I may want to reclaim this location of the garage at a future date. The walls are only attached to the floor using construction adhesive. It'll do the job required.

Sill, the bottom 2x that attaches to the floor and studs attach too.

Working on a new door today. When I built the laundry room, I used the door for it that was used in the basement that leads to an area under the steps. I'm going to replace that for with this one that I'm building. This one is ready to stain. Once that's done, I'll be adding some more wood to it to give it the rustic look that I'm looking for. Hope to have it ready to put up by Sunday/Monday.

This door consists of four 5 1/2" sections and three 3 1/2" sections making it 32 1/2" wide by 80" tall.

e9f820d7a46574c0db95b3d66f7c08c1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom