Dodge?

For everyone saying how much they would love more manufacturers involved in NASCAR, would you be saying the same thing if Nissan, for example, was the headline rather than Dodge? Just curious.

Nissan would be great. Other than Dodge they are the only ones that could run in the truck series. I'd be fine with any new manufacture though.

Nissan or Dodge would be the only additional manufacturers I would want. They both produce a V8 engine and a full-size truck, so they could enter all three series (Cup/Xfin/Trucks).

I would love to see Dodge return. Four manufacturers is the perfect number. I really wouldn't mind Nissan as the fifth though.

I'm surprised to hear any positive remarks about "foreign" manufacturers outside of ToyYoda. Just figured everyone but him would respond with "THOSE FOREIGNERS TOOK OUR JOBS. BAHHHHHH. 'MERICA!!!!!!!!"

P.S.....I'll save the debate about how Toyota is more American than most "American" auto manufacturers for another topic. ;)

Nissan or Dodge would be the only additional manufacturers I would want. They both produce a V8 engine and a full-size truck, so they could enter all three series (Cup/Xfin/Trucks).

I would love to see Dodge return. Four manufacturers is the perfect number. I really wouldn't mind Nissan as the fifth though.

Centoventisei.jpg

It took a stiff tailwind while driving downhill to get this Fiat anywhere near 70 MPH. 652 cc of air-cooled Italian engineering. Great memories!

Hi, new guy. Mind if I ask what gives you access to all this info? Nothing proprietary or confidential, mind you, just some generalizations so we'll know where you're coming from.

Thanks, and welcome!

Thanks and not exactly new, just couldn't remember my credentials. I have changed computers since I posted here. Now, to your questions. First, Penske, that is speculation on part back in 2013 I was a member of allpar and I was told by a well-known poster there that in his opinion Dodge would only come back when a super team could lead the charge. Basically when they could have a repeat of the Penske situation a self-contained operation.This is a poster that had been in and out of NASCAR since the '60s and currently has family at the very top of a pit box at the cup level. Sadly he passed not to long ago.

Second point why on earth would SHR even consider leaving GM? The 4 car is the best car on the circuit week in and week out. The obvious answer is money. But the correct question is why would Ford even bring in another super team unless they are concerned about losing an awfully big fish. Penske has supplied engines to those Xfinity teams that have run those Challengers in NW/X over the last five years. The official line was they "were just using the old stuff up," but five yrs worth? Hard to believe.

On to Petty, I have been a member of the oldest and tightest Petty fan group on the 'net. Occasionally, we do get hints of things that happen. Earlier this year it was hinted at that RPM and Ford went to SHR looking for an alliance next year and got turned down flat. They see the handwriting on the wall and know that all ford has for them is scraps. They have been trying to get loose from Ford ever since thus far with no luck. Plus the King has his grandson that is supposed to be making his truck debut in 2017. It is a swing for the fence to keep the family business alive.

[QUOTE="Robert J Sublett, post: 1045227, member: 9110] Plus the King has his grandson that is supposed to be making his truck debut in 2017".[/QUOTE]
:eek::bounce:

Who's the grandson, Thad? Because The King hasn't really done a lot to help out Bret any. Think Thad is only 16 so probably won't be a full season. Would be nice if Petty could put together a Truck team for the two of them.

For everyone saying how much they would love more manufacturers involved in NASCAR, would you be saying the same thing if Nissan, for example, was the headline rather than Dodge? Just curious.

No problem at all. Bring em on, the more the merrier.

Who's the grandson, Thad? Because The King hasn't really done a lot to help out Bret any. Think Thad is only 16 so probably won't be a full season. Would be nice if Petty could put together a Truck team for the two of them.
That's because Brett and Thad are not brothers. Not related to my knowledge.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so, Brian (Thad's dad) has been Richard's CEO and right-hand man for a long time. He and Rebecca live in Richmond I think, On Brett's bio it lists his home as Iowa and father's name as Dick.

No your right, I'd never heard of Thad til I google Richard Pettys granson but could have sworn I heard somthing about Petty being related to Brett in a truck race this year. Not sure but yeah they are not related any.

Did you read the quotes from Marchionne? Sounds like they are ready to commit.
Commit to what? On who's dollar?
Penske went to Ford because that SOB couldn't agree to a 5 year extension of their agreement.
At the time he had a top caliber team, who will they get now? RPM?

I'm surprised to hear any positive remarks about "foreign" manufacturers outside of ToyYoda. Just figured everyone but him would respond with "THOSE FOREIGNERS TOOK OUR JOBS. BAHHHHHH. 'MERICA!!!!!!!!" ...
Another aspect of attracting a younger audience. They may not have the devotion to automobiles like those of us raised from the '50s through the '80s. The flip side of that is that they don't care about the 'domestic - foreign' argument either.

Thanks and not exactly new, just couldn't remember my credentials. I have changed computers since I posted here. Now, to your questions. First, Penske, that is speculation on part back in 2013 I was a member of allpar and I was told by a well-known poster there that in his opinion Dodge would only come back when a super team could lead the charge. Basically when they could have a repeat of the Penske situation a self-contained operation.This is a poster that had been in and out of NASCAR since the '60s and currently has family at the very top of a pit box at the cup level. Sadly he passed not to long ago.

Second point why on earth would SHR even consider leaving GM? The 4 car is the best car on the circuit week in and week out. The obvious answer is money. But the correct question is why would Ford even bring in another super team unless they are concerned about losing an awfully big fish. Penske has supplied engines to those Xfinity teams that have run those Challengers in NW/X over the last five years. The official line was they "were just using the old stuff up," but five yrs worth? Hard to believe.

On to Petty, I have been a member of the oldest and tightest Petty fan group on the 'net. Occasionally, we do get hints of things that happen. Earlier this year it was hinted at that RPM and Ford went to SHR looking for an alliance next year and got turned down flat. They see the handwriting on the wall and know that all ford has for them is scraps. They have been trying to get loose from Ford ever since thus far with no luck. Plus the King has his grandson that is supposed to be making his truck debut in 2017. It is a swing for the fence to keep the family business alive.
Thanks.

With Roush's decline, I'd say Ford has already lost a super team, or at least seen it degraded below 'super' status. I don't see Penske jumping ship while they're still successful with Ford, but then most of us didn't see SHR leaving Chevy either. Like you said, money talks.

Commit to what? On who's dollar?
Penske went to Ford because that SOB couldn't agree to a 5 year extension of their agreement.
At the time he had a top caliber team, who will they get now? RPM?

I think that "commitment" is key here. It's going to have to be different than it was with Penske where Penske did and paid for everything and Dodge reaped the PR benefits. IMO Roger left because he wanted more factory support than Dodge was willing to provide. If Marchionne is serious, teams have been contacted, and the wheels are turning. Going to be interesting.

I'd be fine with any new manufacture though.

I'm fine if a manufacturer is serious---yeah, Toyota serious. Who is willing to bring new teams, and suffer for 10 years before winning? Now don't get me wrong, Toyota reaped benefits prior to their Driver's and Manufacturer's Championships, but it has been a long 10 years of commitment. Manufacturers coming and going is not good for the series IMO.

I'm fine if a manufacturer is serious---yeah, Toyota serious. Who is willing to bring new teams, and suffer for 10 years before winning? Now don't get me wrong, Toyota reaped benefits prior to their Driver's and Manufacturer's Championships, but it has been a long 10 years of commitment. Manufacturers coming and going is not good for the series IMO.
agreed-but dodge could leverage their past success I feel and springboard ahead of a "1st time to NASCAR" competitor.

No surprise here but it doesn't matter to me if Nascar has 1 manufacturer or 15 as there is no differentiation from where I sit.
I think the Gen 6 bodies are pretty nice. But more important would be more teams getting manufacturer backing, young drivers getting support through the developmental system, marketing/activation, and so on.

agreed-but dodge could leverage their past success I feel and springboard ahead of a "1st time to NASCAR" competitor.

I agree 100%. Well said. I have always felt that NASCAR should be about the Big Three.....and Toyota gets to participate. IMO Toyota/TRD feel the same way. I want Dodge back.

If a company is willing to put the time, money and effort to be competitive for an extended period into this sport then I'd say let 'em join. In fact, if I'm Brian I'd even give them a few concessions on the rules package if it will help them differentiate their brand, similar to what Toyoda got. We've seen hints in other rumors/stories that those things are negotiable (VW).

Getting FCA would also mean NASCAR finally has a solid majority (59%) of US auto sales represented. There's a significant drop-off from these 4 and the next batch of Asian manufacturers (Nissan, Hyundai, Honda) http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/01/usa-auto-sales-brand-results-2015-calendar-year.html.

Nissan, Honda, VW, Kia, Tesla; don't care, the more the merrier.

Yes! The more the merrier, and if things start to pick up in NASCAR again, I could see more powerhouse type teams being created. Maybe Kyle Busch forms his own cup team, BKes, JJ, Evernham, JTGD, Furniture Row, could blow up too. Think of 50 cars trying to make a field of 43 again or maybe 2 divisions of 30 each.

Obviously these things don't happen over night, but Honda already has a great race program in Indycar, Audi (Same company as VW) is big in IMSA, Nissan would be a great fit across the board.
So many possibilities! A guy can dream! lol

Any additional brands would be a big boost for Nascar . It would focus new attention from the press and likely peak the interest their customers . Downside is their desire to win right away , and to my mind that can only involve Penske .

Any additional brands would be a big boost for Nascar . It would focus new attention from the press and likely peak the interest their customers . Downside is their desire to win right away , and to my mind that can only involve Penske .
How much will Penske or any other team trust Dodge? After all, if you've had the rug pulled out from under you once, will you stand on it again? Ford has seen Penske leave before; will it let them go again, considering their current success and future prospects?

How much will Penske or any other team trust Dodge? After all, if you've had the rug pulled out from under you once, will you stand on it again?
Yeah, it would be great if Dodge came back, but what teams would drive for them? Hendrick, Childress, and Roush are all too loyal to their respective manufacturers, I think Penske is under contract with Ford for several more years yet, SHR just switched to Ford, and although JGR has hopped brands in the past they've got too good a thing going with Toyota to jump ship. So Ganassi or RPM maybe?

Yeah, it would be great if Dodge came back, but what teams would drive for them? Hendrick, Childress, and Roush are all too loyal to their respective manufacturers, I think Penske is under contract with Ford for several more years yet, SHR just switched to Ford, and although JGR has hopped brands in the past they've got too good a thing going with Toyota to jump ship. So Ganassi or RPM maybe?
I think -IF- Ganassi went anywhere, it would be to Ford. They already have ties with their GT sports car program.

I think -IF- Ganassi went anywhere, it would be to Ford. They already have ties with their GT sports car program.

Ganassi just stated they reupped with Hendrick for multiple years so even they seem unlikely to change for a while. I think they would needbto have a team like RPM with an influx of money to create an engine program. I think it would harder to do then it was in 2001.

Back
Top Bottom