Dodge?

Ganassi just stated they reupped with Hendrick for multiple years so even they seem unlikely to change for a while. I think they would needbto have a team like RPM with an influx of money to create an engine program. I think it would harder to do then it was in 2001.
It would probably resemble when Toyota came to Cup in 2007. They didn't have anybody but start up teams MWR and Team Red Bull and a Bill Davis Racing team that was on its last leg, and they struggled to even qualify for races most weeks let alone run competitively in them. Fortunately for Toyota they were bailed out by JGR the next year, not sure that would happen for Dodge though.

Yeah, it would be great if Dodge came back, but what teams would drive for them? Hendrick, Childress, and Roush are all too loyal to their respective manufacturers, I think Penske is under contract with Ford for several more years yet, SHR just switched to Ford, and although JGR has hopped brands in the past they've got too good a thing going with Toyota to jump ship. So Ganassi or RPM maybe?

I think at this point 'ol Jack would jump to a Nissan if it mean't the kind of funding to bring him back to a 3-4 car team AND be the top dog of the brand. Loyalty in business ends when the checks stop coming.

How much will Penske or any other team trust Dodge? After all, if you've had the rug pulled out from under you once, will you stand on it again? Ford has seen Penske leave before; will it let them go again, considering their current success and future prospects?

Not sayin Penske would do it , but it's just business to Roger . Looking at what Dodge would need from a lead team , it's either Hendrick , Gibbs or Penske and the first two aren't takin the call .

Jack Roush would rather sell his team, or run it completely into the ground before he ever considers a manufacturer switch.

Hendrick and RCR won't leave Chevrolet.

Gibbs won't leave Toyota.

RPM would certainly go Dodge. Maybe Ganassi. Possibly another small team like JTG. Penske might be a less likely option. A new team might even be an option (remember Andretti rumors back in 2012-13?).

The Andretti rumors were more than rumors in 2013.Sergio literally pulled the plug at the last possible second. Kurt was already signed to drive an Andretti Dodge. Petty was knee deep in that too. Rumors were hot that Ralph Gilles was doing all he could to steal Kenseth from Gibbs for RPM. A couple things about now though, the only way this doesn't happen is if SM steps down FCA. These comments have taken things from an if to when in my book. The question is timetable. Can't see it happening any earlier than 2019 at best.

The Andretti rumors were more than rumors in 2013.Sergio literally pulled the plug at the last possible second. Kurt was already signed to drive an Andretti Dodge. Petty was knee deep in that too. Rumors were hot that Ralph Gilles was doing all he could to steal Kenseth from Gibbs for RPM. A couple things about now though, the only way this doesn't happen is if SM steps down FCA. These comments have taken things from an if to when in my book. The question is timetable. Can't see it happening any earlier than 2019 at best.
I think Toyota has shown it's smart to start at the lower levels. If Dodge takes that approach, it could be much longer before they return to Cup.

I think that "commitment" is key here. It's going to have to be different than it was with Penske where Penske did and paid for everything and Dodge reaped the PR benefits. IMO Roger left because he wanted more factory support than Dodge was willing to provide. If Marchionne is serious, teams have been contacted, and the wheels are turning. Going to be interesting.
Roger only talked to Ford after Fiat said "no commitment". I doubt they thought he would walk because he had a lot invested in his engine shop.

Ummm Thank you for the leg work!!!

I hope he got the point

Loud and clear guys. I'm engaging in wild ass speculation. Most likely wouldn't happen.

Two things though.
First, in business...never say never.
Second, Fenway Sports Group is still a 50% owner of RFR. They still have a say in things (like a 50% say).

Loud and clear guys. I'm engaging in wild ass speculation. Most likely wouldn't happen.

Two things though.
Second, Fenway Sports Group is still a 50% owner of RFR. They still have a say in things (like a 50% say).
We'll see Jr. in a Mazda before Jack Roush has his name associated with any manufacturer other than Ford.

jayski update this morning.....

Any manufacturer wanting to come into NASCAR for the 2017 season would have had to make a formal request by September 2015. The current NASCAR rules require race-car renderings for new models to be submitted by more than a year before they ever are raced on the track. The deadline is Oct. 1 (more than 15 months before the actual debut), if the production car is already in production, and Jan. 1 (13 months before the debut), if the production car will start being sold in the year the Cup model debuts. A full-scale race car must be submitted to NASCAR by April 1 prior to the year of debut. To accomplish those tasks, an incoming manufacturer likely would have to hire some top personnel away from current NASCAR teams, and that has yet to happen.

Two things though.
and their 50% covers office work like sponsors driver contracts etc.

Good luck on getting Fiat to pony up any dollars........ They are the most tight assed company you have ever encountered......... Self-centered B@@tards..... they care about no one but their selves....... I wouldn't buy a Fiat product if my life depended on it...... Charger ain't Chrysler anymore........ it's Fiat.........

Don't get me started on those Italian POS vehicles.

I take it from your 2 posts in this thread you are not a fan of fiat or Italians. It's probably caused the quality of the vehicles to improve.
Lol

You can't mention Fiat and quality in the same sentence.

I think GM should start running Buicks again. Nothing will bring the young people back to NASCAR like Buick.

"Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?"

1975_Buick_Skyhawk.jpg

Any manufacturer wanting to come into NASCAR for the 2017 season would have had to make a formal request by September 2015. The current NASCAR rules require race-car renderings for new models to be submitted by more than a year before they ever are raced on the track. The deadline is Oct. 1 (more than 15 months before the actual debut), if the production car is already in production, and Jan. 1 (13 months before the debut), if the production car will start being sold in the year the Cup model debuts. A full-scale race car must be submitted to NASCAR by April 1 prior to the year of debut. To accomplish those tasks, an incoming manufacturer likely would have to hire some top personnel away from current NASCAR teams, and that has yet to happen.

You are forgetting Nascar has an etch-a-sketch rule book so rules can be altered on a whim.

I wonder if Dodge would have sexier exhaust port decals?

I think RCR is actually the most likely candidate. He's the only one with his own engine program who could make the switch, and the idea of being top dog at Dodge has to sound better than being a nobody with Chevy anymore. And then Dodge could pick up their associates too like Germain.

I think RCR is actually the most likely candidate. He's the only one with his own engine program who could make the switch, and the idea of being top dog at Dodge has to sound better than being a nobody with Chevy anymore. And then Dodge could pick up their associates too like Germain.

I really like this idea this idea makes the most sense out of anything plus it would give dodge such a huge presence

I think Dodge approached Childress in 2012 and he said no thanks, maybe he'll reconsider this time around.

I think Dodge approached Childress in 2012 and he said no thanks, maybe he'll reconsider this time around.

Can you imagine the #3 racing on anything other than a chevy? The old guard would flip out. Dodge would want someone that has an engine shop and RCR fits that bill, but now that SHR is a Ford team it clears the way for RCR to potentially move up to the #2 chevy team. I wonder if they'd give that up to be the #1 Dodge team?

I've never been a Buick guy, but I really like the new LaCrosse. I just bought a new vehicle so I'll probably be in my late 40's when I'm due to buy another one. I might be old enough to drive a Buick by then. ;)

I had a 1973 Buick Century and it was nothing spectacular but it was reliable and got the job done. I like the looks of some of the newer Buick's like the Lacrosse and Verano but I had negative experiences with my last 2 GM vehicles so I am not really eager to get another when Nissan and Toyota have been nothing but good to me. When I was looking for another vehicle I test drove a Chevy Avalanche just for the heck of it but I didn't like it. I didn't hate either but it definitely need more motor as it was a pooch.

Can you imagine the #3 racing on anything other than a chevy? The old guard would flip out. Dodge would want someone that has an engine shop and RCR fits that bill, but now that SHR is a Ford team it clears the way for RCR to potentially move up to the #2 chevy team. I wonder if they'd give that up to be the #1 Dodge team?

I am from the old guard and also a Dale fan and it wouldn't bother me in the least to see the #3 on a Dodge, VW or Hyundai as they are essentially spec cars with different decals in order to try and differentiate them. I don't mind RC's grand kid using the #3 either as it is just a number and Dale's place in history is secure.

I believe that was Oldsmobile. The Buick would have been an Estate Wagon.

I think you are right as I remember the Olds Custom Cruisers, the Caprice Estates, the Pontiac Catalina (the name Safari was used off and on too) and the Buick Skylark. I remember the Olds Vista Cruiser but I thought Buick made a parallel model for a few years but I have killed a lot of brain cells since those days.

Weren't the new gen-(?) Dodge's approved already by Nascar? Before Penske switched to Ford?

Weren't the new gen-(?) Dodge's approved already by Nascar? Before Penske switched to Ford?

I'm pretty sure that NASCAR is going to make Dodge kiss their ring before letting them come back so anything that has been pre-approved will suddenly become not approved or need to be "resubmitted."

It was actually '13, but you can forget it the man sleeps in bowtie pjs. How I see this going down is like this. If it happens we will get a confirmation late in the '17 season for track action in '19 or '20.

Yes, but FCA would not be running the 2013 Charger body styling , they would be running the current body style, so the process starts all over again.

Couldn't they run the old style, like the Zombie Dodge teams? I mean, we had Dodge's on the track this year, just without any factory backing.

Back
Top Bottom