Does Country Music Need An Alcohol Intervention?

I hate these awards shows and if they're going to televise them, they need to televise the cool ones. On the night before the CMAs were televised there was a Classic Rock awards show in LA (it's usually held in the UK) with musical guests such as Brian May, Billy Gibbons, and Joe Perry playing with the Kings of Chaos, and awards going to the Doors, Ozzy Osbourne, Gregg Allman, Queen, Metallica, Jeff Lynne, Joe Perry, and Dave Mustaine, Of course they did not broadcast that show. That would just be too cool.
It's all about the ratings. Country music has a huge following. Classic rock? While I love it, most everyone you mentioned is a shell of their former self and many not even around anymore. Being a fan of country music I really like to see the award shows to see everyone perform. A heckuva lot cheaper than paying for a concert. ;)

It's all about the ratings. Country music has a huge following. Classic rock? While I love it, most everyone you mentioned is a shell of their former self and many not even around anymore. Being a fan of country music I really like to see the award shows to see everyone perform. A heckuva lot cheaper than paying for a concert. ;)
Yes.. it's always about ratings.. and I call it catering to the least common denominator.. and it's just not cool. Also, I would not say these guys are a shell of their former selves. Yes.. definitely older and you might say past their prime, but these guys have stood the test of time and just about all of them are still performing. It's amazing what good shape most of them are in, especially considering the things many of them consumed in the 60s and 70s... and that most are also in their 60s and 70s now. But those I mentioned (as performers, not necessarily award recipients) definitely still perform, even Brian May. Queen is making a resurgence with Adam Lambert now filling in as their singer. And as I said, these particular artists performed with Kings of Chaos at this show. KOC is a band put together with former GunsNRoses/Velvet Revolver members (Matt Sorum, Duff McKagin, and sometimes Slash) and a revolving line up of other performers. They just did a couple of shows in South Africa. ZZ Top and Aerosmith also have continued to tour. Heck, Aerosmith just got off a six month tour and they were better than ever. They are already making plans for 2015... .. and believe me, they still rock. ZZ Top had to cancel a tour due to Dusty Hill's injury but they'll be back next month. And so many other "classic" rockers are still going strong.... the Stones (all of whom are now in their 70s, Dylan, Springsteen, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, etc.). Anyway, it's a shame that the media and commercial tv feel they must cater to the masses. We're the losers there. Like I said, these rockers have stood the test of time. .... it's why it's called classic rock. I wonder if in 30 years we'll have classic country. From what I've seen, the current line up isn't what I'd call classic and I doubt most will stand the test of time... and they'll never achieve the cool factor of these rockers. But back to my post.. these awards shows do suck and if they insist on airing them, then I wish they'd air the cool ones other than this over-exposed new brand of pop country. Heck, even I might tune in and I rarely watch tv at all anymore other than to watch sports or documentaries. Anyway.. JMO :biggrin:

I saw something about who is the king of country. George Strait or Luke Bryan. Luke freaking Bryan against one of the best country singers ever......

I am lucky as over the years I have picked up about 15000 songs for my good old obsolete 160 gig iPod Classic so that keeps me entertained. The country music today sure doesn't sound like what I consider country music but instead more like pop music. Different strokes for different generations and that is OK with me.

I am lucky as over the years I have picked up about 15000 songs for my good old obsolete 160 gig iPod Classic so that keeps me entertained. The country music today sure doesn't sound like what I consider country music but instead more like pop music. Different strokes for different generations and that is OK with me.

But it's only part of the millennial generation. Neither of my sons want anything to do with this new pop country. I remember my younger son and his friends always making fun of Taylor Swift's songs. They were hilarious. My older son is more into hip hop/rap but also likes Foo Fighters and a variety of other groups. The younger one actually is into rock and what is now known as "classic rock." We didn't call it that in the 70s.

Oh Skoal.. here are the pics I told you about: one of my favorite guitar gods and me... and one with us and his friend the singer.
10686915_10203761914586760_4086904780501788361_n.jpg
10492962_10203538152592850_2433237399452981312_o.jpg

Awesome, Lin. I bet you had pinch yourself to make sure it was real. How were you able to meet them and get the pics?

Awesome, Lin. I bet you had pinch yourself to make sure it was real. How were you able to meet them and get the pics?

I met the two of them as part of a meet and greet package at their concert here in Virginia this summer. We had seats down on the floor and got all kinds of other stuff. Met the LI 3 too.. no pics with them (Brad Whitford actually said he was worried about Ebola) but they did Q&A with us, so I did ask Joey the Kramer a question... asked him what his dog was up to... he's got this cute golden retriever named Lucy and she was staying with her "aunt" while they were on tour. I met Joe again about a month after the M&G/concert at his book signing in Brookline, MA. He released a book in October, and it's really good....definitely well-written. It's not a mess like the one Steven Tyler wrote a few years ago. Anyway, the book signing meeting was actually more fun. Met Joe's wife too and chatted with her a good ten minutes. I actually had to cut that conversation short because it was while we were in line to have Joe sign our books and the line was moving.

I'm drinkin' that whiskey
Outta that glass
and if that ain't country
you can kiss my ass

Country music is supposed to be depressingly sad.
The kind that makes you stop and just think painfully for 10 minutes as you stare at the coffee. Hurt bad enough to make others nervous.
It ain't supposed to be happy.

"He stopped loving her today", "Whiskey Lullaby", "It ain't the whisky" "Hello walls", "Hello Darling" "I am so lonesome I could cry" "Cheating heart". The list of county done right, stone cold, and painful could go on forever. It supposed to be a celebration of pain, greif and misery.

I wish the young country hook up crowd would stop the happy sheet. It makes me sad.

Country music is supposed to be depressingly sad.
The kind that makes you stop and just think painfully for 10 minutes as you stare at the coffee. Hurt bad enough to make others nervous.
It ain't supposed to be happy.

"He stopped loving her today", "Whiskey Lullaby", "It ain't the whisky" "Hello walls", "Hello Darling" "I am so lonesome I could cry" "Cheating heart". The list of county done right, stone cold, and painful could go on forever. It supposed to be a celebration of pain, greif and misery.

I wish the young country hook up crowd would stop the happy sheet. It makes me sad.
Coffee??

Country music done right should hurt a man, the way a Brad Pitt movie hurts Kurt Busch.

There's a few country songs I won't listen to anymore. Hurts too bad.
None of which were recorded after 1980.

"It is hard to kiss the lips at night, that chew your azz out all day long."

This one will make my brother cry. Every time. He ain't safe to be around when he's teary.

Mama's hungry eyes, Mama tried, Swinging Doors, Pancho and Lefty - some of favorite Merle stuff. I like sing me back home too, he did a lot of great songs

:D Yeah, that's a pretty good one, there. Love me some Rodney Crowell.

I like his post big star stuff better... . Fates right hand, still learning how to fly...

But that is why it is so good. So real, honest and pure, but painful.
And that is exactly why the new country crowd doesn't relate to it. They haven't yet experienced the pain that these songs were written on. I hope when the younger crowd becomes more seasoned, one of the old dogs is still around to turn them on to the music that really matters.

This is a good thread. I'm gonna bow out and listen to some good ol-fashioned country music. Y'all have a good night.
Happy New Year.

R.I.P. Little Jimmy Dickens. The oldest member of the Opry lost his life today at 94.

Back
Top Bottom