Does Jeff Gordon even care anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one here who is sick of people saying how everyone should retire? "If they arent in a top tier team, they should retire" "If they arent top 5 every race they should retire" I mean, is Jimmie Johnson the only one who shouldnt retire?

Am I the only one here who is sick of people saying how everyone should retire? "If they arent in a top tier team, they should retire" "If they arent top 5 every race they should retire" I mean, is Jimmie Johnson the only one who shouldnt retire?

I am glad Jeff Burton retired.

Just saying... ;)

I would like to present one more exhibits to court.

Exhibits #3.2.2014.

Jeff has said that he will retire if he wins the championship this year. That supports my previously reported findings.
The people that are holding Jeff hostage and making him race against his will, obviously have offered a new incentive.

One that could enmancipate him from racing should he win the 2014: Sweet 16 tournament, great 8 playoffs, bca final 4, grand slam world series, super bowl of World Sprint Cup racing title this year.

Brian does more than resets points, he also resets lives too. Everytime Jeff runs fast this year just realize that he is running toward freedom.

Run Jeff, run

Matters could be worse for Jeff, consider how long they have made Morgan Shepard race, and wear rollerscates.

Up to 5th from 17th. Yup he clearly doesnt care and needs to retire.:rolleyes:

I'll show you a stretch
18w67jsus6h19jpg.jpg

Attachments

• flexibility-sexy-stretch-demotivational-poster.jpeg
    flexibility-sexy-stretch-demotivational-poster.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 183
I'm flabbergasted just completely flabbergasted. :confused:

We are talking about one of the most consistent drivers through multiple DECADES right? NASCAR legend? 22 years in cup, 4 championships, almost 90 wins. 2 top 5s to start this season.

Yeah retire Jeff. You suck.

If only he raced on Fridays and Saturdays.....

We are talking about one of the most consistent drivers through multiple DECADES right? NASCAR legend? 22 years in cup, 4 championships, almost 90 wins. 2 top 5s to start this season.

Yeah retire Jeff. You suck.

If only he raced on Fridays and Saturdays.....

In other news, where is Kyle Busch at? I heard he taught little kids a lesson yesterday? He must have missed class today because I didn't see him like at all today.

In other news, where is Kyle Busch at? I heard he taught little kids a lesson yesterday? He must have missed class today because I didn't see him like at all today.

They showed him getting passed by the guy who doesn't care anymore driving that 24. Thats it though.

I wonder if some drivers who get best by Jeff say "yeah that's Jeff Gordon man I'd be proud just to pass him" or "I just got schooled by a 42 year old man. ****".

That damn Gordon. I was looking forward to seeing him finish in mid pack to around 15th. Next week I guess.

Gordon has never been the same since the debut or the COT and the "new" NASCAR...but thats OK enjoy living in 1998 and JG finishing 15th every week!
Disagree.....Jeff missed the Chase in 2005 and as a 24 fan since about '97, it was probably the worst year I've ever endured, despite winning 4 races that year (including the Daytona 500). That team couldn't even run top-25 at 1.5 mile tracks. I remember him getting passed by Kyle Petty for like thirty-something place at Michigan. I remember him getting spun by Mike Bliss for like twenty-something place at Chicago. Then there were rumors that he had punched Mike Bliss at the airport. And then of course they missed the Chase.

So it's not about the COT. That whole coil-binding thing circa 2003-2005 really changed set-ups and threw veterans a huge curve. Plus there was a huge influx of new talent that didn't know any better. Rusty, Martin, Gordon, Burton all had down year(s) around this time but were able to recover. Well, Burton might be debatable. Others like Bobby Labonte, Rudd, Jarrett, Marlin were never able to recover.

Ever since then, set-ups seem more finicky and aero-dependent than ever. While the 24 team regained competitiveness almost immediately when Letarte took over (Gordon came back to win Chicago in 2006), that team has never been able to achieve the type of consistency it takes to be a truly great team.

I'm as big of a Gordon fan as there is, but he's not a team leader. He's a driver. And I don't think he's ever been able to put a truly great team around him over the last decade. Just good teams. That's why the stats are what they are.

I may be absolutely stupid, or just plain crazy, but I think both Jeff and Jr. feel like they have something to prove, and this year is going to be the year they do it. I really believe that Jeff is out to try to make a REAL run at #5...not saying he gets it...but I think he is going to make a lot more noise this year than he has the last couple years. On a side bar, I think Jr. may be look at a two win season..which is a big deal for him.

Something that I like is in his post race interview last week, Jeff said, he decided that a top 3 or 5 was better than wrecking the thing trying to win....smart racing...if he keeps that mind set, and the win falls every now and then...he will be dangerous this year. If he is given the right equipment, he can make a lot of today's "top drivers" look silly...
What bothered me today is that it seemed so typical of the 24's performance over the last few years. Start the race off great - drove from 17th up to 5th in like 50-70 laps. Jeff complains about losing the handling after so many laps so they make adjustments, make the car worse, and immediately fall to 6th after the ensuing stop. Then they fall to 8th on the next round of pit stops, lose another 2 positions on the restarts, and now you're 10th place at halfway and it's very, very hard to win races from there when you're in traffic and not making any headway on adjustments.

They were pretty fortunate to get a few cautions at the end, but at least Jeff showed people he DOES know how to race on restarts when he has a good car. He made some aggressive moves and literally went from 14th to 5th all because of passes he made on restarts. But I just wasn't OVERLY excited about their performance today because I was pretty bummed at how they lost track position in the mid-stages of the race and how they could not keep up with adjustments.

You can't be a great team and not improve the car during the race. Unfortunately we're going on year #4 now with Gustafson so it's now-or-never time. Their performance and communication has not improved as I would have hoped. Their best year was their first year where they won 3 races, and could have easily won 5 or 6 (they dominated Indy and Bristol night race that year, and had a win taken away at Richmond when Menard intentionally caused a caution).

I've always liked Gustafson and still do. I just wish they could improve these little things. That's what it takes to win.

What bothered me today is that it seemed so typical of the 24's performance over the last few years. Start the race off great - drove from 17th up to 5th in like 50-70 laps. Jeff complains about losing the handling after so many laps so they make adjustments, make the car worse, and immediately fall to 6th after the ensuing stop. Then they fall to 8th on the next round of pit stops, lose another 2 positions on the restarts, and now you're 10th place at halfway and it's very, very hard to win races from there when you're in traffic and not making any headway on adjustments.

They were pretty fortunate to get a few cautions at the end, but at least Jeff showed people he DOES know how to race on restarts when he has a good car. He made some aggressive moves and literally went from 14th to 5th all because of passes he made on restarts. But I just wasn't OVERLY excited about their performance today because I was pretty bummed at how they lost track position in the mid-stages of the race and how they could not keep up with adjustments.

You can't be a great team and not improve the car during the race. Unfortunately we're going on year #4 now with Gustafson so it's now-or-never time. Their performance and communication has not improved as I would have hoped. Their best year was their first year where they won 3 races, and could have easily won 5 or 6 (they dominated Indy and Bristol night race that year, and had a win taken away at Richmond when Menard intentionally caused a caution).

I've always liked Gustafson and still do. I just wish they could improve these little things. That's what it takes to win.
Welcome to the forum! I like what youve got to say. Be warned the Gordon fans on this forum seem to take shots at each other rather than come together as a fan base

Disagree.....Jeff missed the Chase in 2005 and as a 24 fan since about '97, it was probably the worst year I've ever endured, despite winning 4 races that year (including the Daytona 500). That team couldn't even run top-25 at 1.5 mile tracks. I remember him getting passed by Kyle Petty for like thirty-something place at Michigan. I remember him getting spun by Mike Bliss for like twenty-something place at Chicago. Then there were rumors that he had punched Mike Bliss at the airport. And then of course they missed the Chase.

So it's not about the COT. That whole coil-binding thing circa 2003-2005 really changed set-ups and threw veterans a huge curve. Plus there was a huge influx of new talent that didn't know any better. Rusty, Martin, Gordon, Burton all had down year(s) around this time but were able to recover. Well, Burton might be debatable. Others like Bobby Labonte, Rudd, Jarrett, Marlin were never able to recover.

Ever since then, set-ups seem more finicky and aero-dependent than ever. While the 24 team regained competitiveness almost immediately when Letarte took over (Gordon came back to win Chicago in 2006), that team has never been able to achieve the type of consistency it takes to be a truly great team.

I'm as big of a Gordon fan as there is, but he's not a team leader. He's a driver. And I don't think he's ever been able to put a truly great team around him over the last decade. Just good teams. That's why the stats are what they are.

I've been a Gordon fan as long as I can remember, and this post is spot on.

+1

Welcome to the forum! I like what youve got to say. Be warned the Gordon fans on this forum seem to take shots at each other rather than come together as a fan base
Ha! Well thank you. I understand it's sheer frustration when the 24 fans go at each other. Maybe I'll try to stay off the boards during races when tempers are short.

Gordon fangirls snapping at each other or in general just freaking out during race threads provide some of the best entertainment on the board IMO.

Gordon has not won once this year. Probably should retire.
Jimmie Johnson has only 1 top 5 this year. Probably should retire.
Jr's win at Daytona was mostly just luck. Probably should retire.
Kyle Larson has yet to win a championship despite hype. Probably should retire.
Kyle Busch is funny looking and races too much. Probably should retire.
Stewart's too fat, Biffle's too old, Logano's too skinny. Probably should retire.

Harvick, Newman, and Edwards can stay. The rest ... probably should retire.

I think as long as Carl can backflip he can stay. Tony should have retired a long time ago when he couldn't climb the fence anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom