DW to call it quits?

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by DanicaFreak, Mar 29, 2019.

1. SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX Team Owner

2 Sweet did say....."Once Harvick is ready to retire".

2 Sweet and Charlie Spencer like this.
  2. jaqua19

jaqua19 Team Owner

Thank god

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Joker

Joker #1 Harvick Fan

After 2021 is when I think his contract expires. Would be a good time to hang it up, an even 20 years.

4. wi_racefan

wi_racefan Crew Chief

I wasn't a Nascar fan until after DW was well past his prime so I all I really remember of him was of him was him fight to make the field or take a past champions provisional. With that being said his insight doesn't carry as much weight with me as a guy like KH or DJ who I've witnessed win multiple races. Also personally I've never cared for him up in the booth.

If he decides to hang it up I won't be heartbroken

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX Team Owner

Wow, I had forgot all about the past champions provisional. That kept a lot of younger up and comers from making the field with guys like DW that couldn't let go. That's when close to 50 cars were trying to make the show.

Joker likes this.
  6. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

I’d love to see Bestwick back in there

7. Bobw

Bobw Team Owner

The past champions provisional, 43rd on the grid aka where DW starts, That was embarrassing, (IMO) so many, many times he had to take it to get in the race.

AuzGrams and Charlie Spencer like this.
  8. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

That is now while interviewing for the job. Once he retires and gets a contract, which Kevin will we get.???

Dr_B_UNC likes this.
  9. Nitro Dude

Nitro Dude Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance

I think Danica is working the Indy 500 this year just to hone her skills so that she can come back and fill DW'S vacant spot when he sails away.:D

FLRacingFan, DanicaFreak and Johali like this.
  10. RacerrecaR

RacerrecaR Orange cone

Unpopular opinion, but I think Danica Patrick would be a good replacement

DanicaFreak and be9ak7ts16 like this.
  11. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Double-check your first two words; they may be incorrect. :p

Nitro Dude likes this.
  12. Taco

Taco Team Owner

Danica has three times the brains as the babbling blonde.

13. Nitro Dude

Come on you know that deep down inside there is a part of you that misses her bright shiny smile...or her pouting frown depending on how her day was going.:)

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  14. Towmater

Towmater Ratings Craterville

DW did his job and promoted the sport. I hope he enjoys retirement.

I hope that they team Jeff up with a crew chief. That way we can get a driver's view on what is happening on the track, and we can get a crew chief's view of it too.

15. Charlie Spencer

Would that have been her bright shiny smile during pre-race interviews, and her pouting frown leaving the infield care center?

I don't think she gained enough knowledge to provide useful insights from the booth. Just one idiot's opinion.

Hawaii808 and Nitro Dude like this.
  16. Nitro Dude

I can't disagree with that. I have always said that one of the main reasons for her lack of success in a Cup car was because she couldn't give the crew chief enough useful feed back to help him set the car up. I would love to see Chad Knaus in the booth when he is ready to take off his crew chief jacket.

17. Charlie Spencer

Agreed, and it's tougher to ask when she didn't seem to know how she wanted the car to feel.

18. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Team Owner

They need someone strong to replace him because although I like Jeff Gordon, I think he often seems "lost" in the job.

Also, some of the names mentioned in this thread as possible replacements ought to be sent to NBC as well. Real help is needed there too.

19. MRM

MRM Team Owner

20. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

I prefer DW any day over the hyperventilating wetting thier pants crew on NBC.

21. Charlie Spencer

If I do, it isn't by much. Either way, let's remember there's someone on the production staff who should be reining in all the 'Aw, shucks' or frantic squealing. He or she won't do that if those approaches are what the network thinks we want.

22. Revman

Revman Stop asking me about the package!

I love DW....but to the point....I think Ricky gave it a bit of a go in Trucks and/or Xfinity....he is too analytical for the booth. He is better in the studio IMO.

2 Sweet likes this.
  23. Revman

Nothing to do with my bias, but I do not like Harvick in the booth. It's forced. He is trying to be something. I do, however, love his radio show. It's awesome.

24. Revman

Absolutely. Best scheme ever.

2 Sweet likes this.
  25. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I thought it was pretty stupid of the network to put Kevin and Paw Paw's grandson in the booth. I would doubt after what Harvick has said about the two brothers when he left RCR that both of them are the best of friends. I would think KDB and Harvick would get along better in the booth than that choice.

26. Revman

I heard somewhere that KB would love to do TV, but Fox wants nothing to do with him. I am sure it has to do with optics, but he would be 100% fascinating. Happy is knowledgeable, but man, it seems like everything he does with the exception of his radio show is an audition. It drives me nuts. He is not the answer to DW in the booth. Chad Knaus absolutely is IMO. Can you imagine the tongue and cheek comments about his creative interpretations of the rules? Would be fabulous.

27. Charlie Spencer

Yeah, the lack of chemistry between them left the whole broadcast feeling flat.
    I like Kev in the booth. As someone else pointed out, he's a nice change from NBC's gerbils on speed and Fox's own down-home Owensboro Duo.

Hey, there's a question: if DW is out, would Mikey be far behind? :)

28. Revman

How could he not be in that context?

29. Dr_B_UNC

Dr_B_UNC Team Owner

CC: "Do you want me to drop the track bar? Adjust right rear air pressure?"
    Danica: "It doesn't matter! Mercury is in retrograde and my Chi isn't aligning on the astral plane! It doesn't matter what the hell you do to it! Oh, and screw David Ragan!"

And there I've strayed too far off topic. Get rid of the Waltrips. There. Back on...

30. DanicaFreak

DanicaFreak Green monster

would like to see this.

31. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner Contributor

DW has the correct tone and energy to go with Gordon's enthusiasm.

I like the Fox formula. Two Driver booth (+ Mike Joy) is good for track action. Larry McReynolds and Pit Reporters for specific insight and interviews.

They are missing an acerbic independent Jimmy Spencer-style Commentator to hot wash NASCAR nonsense. The rest of the in-studio crew are portrayed as thoughtful, but low energy.

32. sloggie

sloggie Racing I will teach you

When DW finally goes, I will continue to mute the start of the race in his honor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

33. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Team Penske and Greg like this.
  34. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner Contributor

Yup, that "boogity boogity, let's go racing ________" is kinda hard to explain, but it's part of his tradition.

But other than THAT (and the KyBu ass-kissing sessions lately) I will miss DW. He doesn't emotionally unload on the audience (since JR retired) and he's a good counterpoint to Jeff Gordon who can be very intelligent and measured in the booth when contrasting DW's version of what is going on in the race or in Qualifying.

Fox booth has the edge over NBCSN. IMHO

Team Penske likes this.
  35. Biggreen695

Biggreen695 Team Owner

I'm okay with Danica announcing only if shes in a bikini every weekend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KodiakRusty89 likes this.
  36. cpoff1102

cpoff1102 Spectator

Thank god. I'll be happy to never hear boogity again in my life.

Joker and dirtfan like this.
  37. Marcingak

Marcingak Team Owner

DW is the main reason I prefer FOX over NBC.

StandOnIt and Ventisca like this.
  38. wi_racefan

wi_racefan Crew Chief

To be honest I don't understand how that guy even has a job anymore. IMO he brings nothing of value to the broadcast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

39. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

the NBC crew acts like they have never seen a race before.

40. Truex_rox

Truex_rox 19 looks better than ever.

Kinda like his career on the racetrack.

Joker likes this.