Eric Jones to the #20 in 2018

Joe Gibbs gets wound up tight at times with his evangelical pursuits. When they asked him to deliver the pre-race invocation, he thought they wanted a sermon. He confused the pre-race ceremonies with an old-time tent revival. I'm a Christian guy, but it seemed inappropriate to me.

My view of the Kenseth deal is that we don't know the nature of the private communications between Matt and Coach. What was said to the press about that has no bearing on the deal IMO. If Coach made certain promises directly to Matt about what would happen regarding contract renewal, and then didn't deliver, that is a sketchy situation. Personally, I doubt that happened. Matt has seemed... defensive... about his career situation since last year, when the 77 team was first announced. He has aggressively sought opportunities to deliver his speech about how he's not retiring, he's in great shape, he's driving better than ever, etc. He seemed to be lobbying somebody for a contract at age 46 and beyond, knowing his deal was expiring along with Carl's and Denny's deals. Just the impression I had (and I posted that here).

Here is Matt's biggest problem... Father Time is coming, and he's bringing the chrome horn...
View attachment 28178
That graph may be skewed a bit. Now that successful drivers make enough money that they don't have race into their 40s, most of the ones still running past that age weren't stand-outs in the first place.

Yeah, the thing about statistics is, there are always exceptions. The difficult part is deciding who will be the next exception before the fact, not with the benefit of hindsight.

I do believe that on-track performance has various underlying components that trend differently over time, and differently from one guy to the next guy. Natural God-given talent erodes. Experience and learning don't. Motivation and sustained effort can go either way, but most often go down as age advances. Just my $0.02.

I posted that because it just popped into my head. I got no argument with the graph other than I look at the shape of the driver and in Kenseth's case he is in super shape. he's no Brenden Gaughan. Also motovation. Kenseth's ego was stepped on and he has something to prove. I haven't seen him drive that hard in a long time. I expect it to be a whole new Kenseth in the coming weeks.

I bet they have cut Matt off from knowing any technical info in case he goes to HMS.

When I first came to this forum several years ago, you were relentless in your personal attacks on a particular member here. I didn't understand the motivation then, and I still don't. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same...:flushed:

Don't ever change, Lew, as you are always enjoyable to hear from.

Joe Gibbs gets wound up tight at times with his evangelical pursuits. When they asked him to deliver the pre-race invocation, he thought they wanted a sermon. He confused the pre-race ceremonies with an old-time tent revival. I'm a Christian guy, but it seemed inappropriate to me.

My view of the Kenseth deal is that we don't know the nature of the private communications between Matt and Coach. What was said to the press about that has no bearing on the deal IMO. If Coach made certain promises directly to Matt about what would happen regarding contract renewal, and then didn't deliver, that is a sketchy situation. Personally, I doubt that happened. Matt has seemed... defensive... about his career situation since last year, when the 77 team was first announced. He has aggressively sought opportunities to deliver his speech about how he's not retiring, he's in great shape, he's driving better than ever, etc. He seemed to be lobbying somebody for a contract at age 46 and beyond, knowing his deal was expiring along with Carl's and Denny's deals. Just the impression I had (and I posted that here).

Here is Matt's biggest problem... Father Time is coming, and he's bringing the chrome horn...
View attachment 28178

"I'm a Christian guy" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Back
Top Bottom