Eric Jones to the #20 in 2018

he's a lame duck at Furniture row if that makes any difference. Will be interesting to see what Visser is going to do now.

Everyone has been rumored to the 5 car - at least around these parts. Because Kahne is underachieving. Just something we've been having fun with.

You'll see "___to the 5!" on here until someone new is actually introduced to the 5 lol.
And that will only quiet us until after the new guy's first race. :D

I am just a common working man so I don't have the "intelligence" of Toyota and JGR. I am sure this was the plan all along so why not put Jones the rookie with a veteran team the #20. And Kenseth; the veteran with a rookie team. I know hindsight is 20/20 but this would have made more sense than what is going down now.
What about all the new crew guys Furniture Row had to hire and lure to Colorado. I am sure those guys and their families are real happy right now. When they are hearing maybe the 77 team is one and done.
Well we see how bad Toyota wants to keep Eric Jones, so I would say his asking price just went up for the next contract.

Visser promised the 77 crew jobs for 2018. I'll never understand if Toyota doesn't step up with a second team. That organization is really competitive and all they need is a driver and a bit of support to keep the 77 team going.

Last edited:
77 will have a driver in 2018. There are too many drivers both veteran and upcoming young drivers for them to not run the team next year.

No --- it's an on-going joke around here. :D
Everyone has been rumored to the 5 car - at least around these parts. Because Kahne is underachieving. Just something we've been having fun with.

You'll see "___to the 5!" on here until someone new is actually introduced to the 5 lol.
Yeah...joke
images.png

Its never gotten horribly old as a Kasey fan.

Kahne has completely underperformed the past few years .. with his sponsorship deals being up it's time to cut bait.

Visser promised the 77 crew jobs for 2018. I'll never understand if Toyota doesn't step up with a second team. That organization is really competitive and all they need is a driver and a bit of support to keep the 77 team going.

I agree. Car counts are important to TRD. They can do 8, they have 6. Cannot see them contracting to 5. Just can't.

Creating that 77 team took one hell of a lot of work.

I like the idea of Byron, Bowman, and Jr. sharing the 88 next year. I'm not on the Bowman bandwagon though and dont really think he's all that good. Think Khane sticks it out one more year in the 5 and maybe Bowman proves something and gets that car in 2019 with Byron in the 88.

I like the idea of Byron, Bowman, and Jr. sharing the 88 next year. I'm not on the Bowman bandwagon though and dont really think he's all that good. Think Khane sticks it out one more year in the 5 and maybe Bowman proves something and gets that car in 2019 with Byron in the 88.

I just don't see a timeshare like this happening. Bowman already impressed in a limited schedule, Dale won't be racing much more in Cup if at all, and once they move up Byron I feel like it'll definitely be full time.

Are sponsors no longer interested in supporting cars that can make the playoff?

Poor guy, Jones is having to leave a well run up front team who are out of the drama to head east to join a band of merciless cutthroats. Don't turn your back on Rev Gibbs :lilangel:or the other two.:bazooka:

If it wasn't for one of the other two, Mr. Jones might not even have the opportunity. Cutthroat for sure.

Coach is a great guy. You might be the only one who doesn't think so, but maybe you know something the rest of us don't. Probably not. Don't even have to tap into my "insider" information to tell you that.

If it was as easy as you make it out to be the 77 would already have a driver and sponsorship.

If it wasn't for one of the other two, Mr. Jones might not even have the opportunity. Cutthroat for sure.

Coach is a great guy. You might be the only one who doesn't think so, but maybe you know something the rest of us don't. Probably not. Don't even have to tap into my "insider" information to tell you that.

JGR needs to do what is best for the organization today and the future. If they were leaving Matt destitute, had besmirched his reputation or lied to him I could understand the anger but none of that is true. Matt was hired to do a job and was paid well for it and now his services are no longer needed. JGR did him a solid and extended his career by rescuing him from Roush if truth be told.

There's some truth to sponsors not wanting to pay the old rates ... just look at the main sponsor, Monster .. they are paying a third of what the previous sponsor paid.

Calling Joe Gibbs out for not extending Matt's contract is the height of stupidity as JGR needs to do what is best for the organization today and the future. If they were leaving Matt destitute, had besmirched his reputation or lied to him I could understand the anger but none of that is true. Matt was hired to do a job and was paid well for it and now his services are no longer needed. JGR did him a solid and extended his career by rescuing him from Roush if truth be told.

It's a business and I'm sure Matt fully understands it. I do disagree that JGR did Matt any favors when they hired him to replace Logano .. they hired him because he was the best driver available. He's the best driver available again, so hopefully another top outfit steps up and inks him to a deal.

It's a business and I'm sure Matt fully understands it. I do disagree that JGR did Matt any favors when they hired him to replace Logano .. they hired him because he was the best driver available. He's the best driver available again, so hopefully another top outfit steps up and inks him to a deal.

Another thing people are always forgetting about Nascar is that being talented is great but being able to attract and maintain sponsorship is the ultimate skill to possess. After all Micheal Waltrip didn't have a long Nascar career because he was a good driver.

There's good business and then there is bad business that leaves a bad taste on you mouth.

Back
Top Bottom