Erik Jones Announcement Coming Sunday

Roman Nodonyet

Horrifically Scarred Crew Chief
At least according to this Motorsport.com article.

Among the questions this raises: If 5-Hour's coming to Furniture Row, what does the sponsorship look like for Stewart-Haas next year? Is Jones expected to race an open entry, when Visser and Garone have both said they'd much rather have a charter for both cars? If they get another charter, who's losing it to them?

At least according to this Motorsport.com article.

Among the questions this raises: If 5-Hour's coming to Furniture Row, what does the sponsorship look like for Stewart-Haas next year? Is Jones expected to race an open entry, when Visser and Garone have both said they'd much rather have a charter for both cars? If they get another charter, who's losing it to them?
Already announced. #77 5 Hour Energy.

Already announced. #77 5 Hour Energy.

By which I mean the OFFICIAL announcement, as per the article itself. It's just like when everyone knew Kenseth and Edwards were going to Gibbs, but they still had to go through the rigamorole of scheduling the official announcements.

By which I mean the OFFICIAL announcement, as per the article itself. It's just like when everyone knew Kenseth and Edwards were going to Gibbs, but they still had to go through the rigamorole of scheduling the official announcements.
My bad.

There's a simple solution for that.

When Jones is scheduled to appear on Oprah, just change the channel.
Yeah, but that still doesn't make me want to watch his victory lane interview with his monotone voice and piss-pants demeanor. I want a country boy that ran liquor, illegal liquor!!!

Then don't watch them either.

You're focused on liquor again. Must be Friday.

Yes. Another guy with the potential to win anytime.
I wouldn't say that The hauler driver can drive a gibbs NXS car. Erick has been in the best possible equipment in trucks and NXS. I would not expect anything different given the level of equipment he has been in. When you see gibbs cars run 1,2,3 in races just know the cars are the advantage not the driver. Lets see how he does in a cup car before we do a cornonation.

Once again, no surprise.

This FRR and JGR partnership has been sucessful so far, possibly and in the future with the likes of Byron and Suarez coming through as well.

if you do that how does he get his name at the top of the list ???????:owquitit:

I wouldn't say that The hauler driver can drive a gibbs NXS car. Erick has been in the best possible equipment in trucks and NXS. I would not expect anything different given the level of equipment he has been in. When you see gibbs cars run 1,2,3 in races just know the cars are the advantage not the driver. Lets see how he does in a cup car before we do a cornonation.

Matt Tifft's had his share of turns in that equipment. Drew Herring's had his chances, too. How many times have they won? How many people even remember Herring?...

The answers are in the other thread that has been discussing this topic for a while. By starting a new thread, the discussion of the same topic gets fragmented... and for what purpose? Perhaps a merge of the two threads would unify the discussion.

http://racing-forums.com/threads/dont-shoot-the-messenger.54141/

Heh. That's what I get for not clicking on the top handful of threads on the home page.

How does one go about merging two threads together, anyway?

In the battle of public opinion, Ty Dillon's already lost. And I'd wager even the people who compare Jones to eggplant agree...
I like the Dillon Bros. Ty is super talented in his own right and will be a taking over a team that's already established, while Jones will be with a whole new 2nd FRR team

I like the Dillon Bros. Ty is super talented in his own right and will be a taking over a team that's already established, while Jones will be with a whole new 2nd FRR team

Regarding Ty, he was supposed to be even better than Austin coming up and do all these big things. Well where is it? He really hasn't been *that* good in Xfinity.

Save that for your 'Bold Prediction': "Ty will finish ahead of Jones."

It looks to me like Jones is currently ahead: he's a few hours away from having announced team and sponsor.

Predicting great things from rookies happens every year . Don't know why folks think they can move up to Cup and start beating Kyle Busch when they couldn't beat him in xfinity , but it is what it is . Give them three to five years and then rate them . Austin ,Trevor and Ricky are starting to get some top fifteens already .

Predicting great things from rookies happens every year . Don't know why folks think they can move up to Cup and start beating Kyle Busch when they couldn't beat him in xfinity , but it is what it is . Give them three to five years and then rate them . Austin ,Trevor and Ricky are starting to get some top fifteens already .

Except that Jones has beat Rowdy in Xfinity competition.

But I do think the fact that he's such a rare exception also speaks to the problem w/ letting the Cuppers run Xfinity races, at least in the quantity that they do.

Furniture Row Racing makes it official as It announces Erik Jones will drive the No. 77 car
CpQxaxlWAAANZt_.jpg:large

So why would they get a charter if this is only a one year deal? Sign this kid for 4 or 5.

A 1 year deal seems extremely odd for an organization that's in its first year of expanding to a 2nd team.

Anyone have any insight to offer as to why that would be? Obviously long term they want him in a JGR ride, but who's leaving there in 1 year?

For the future of the 77 effort, post Jones.

Slim'll want to move Suarez up to cup in the next couple of years.

IMO from observations like yesterday he seems a little immature for a cup ride, maybe Suarez should have got the ride.

So why would they get a charter if this is only a one year deal? Sign this kid for 4 or 5.
The most obvious answer would be: (1) FRR is committed to having a second car long term, but (2) Gibbs has only made Jones available for one year at this time, reserving the right to pull him back into JGR in 2018. I don't think either part of that is especially surprising.

Back
Top Bottom