Erik Jones Announcement Coming Sunday

The most obvious answer would be: (1) FRR is committed to having a second car long term, but (2) Gibbs has only made Jones available for one year at this time, reserving the right to pull him back into JGR in 2018. I don't think either part of that is especially surprising.
I'd say TRD is pulling the strings here.

Maybe so. And maybe Nascar should bust TRD for having more than four cars under common control...:mad:

Lol.

Good for Erik, but I guess FRR is going to have their established veteran in Truex. Yet, the 77 could turn into a revolving door for other JGR drivers in development. It makes sense for a one year deal.

The thing is, if Jones was to come in by '18. Who will be the odd man out?

Lol.

Good for Erik, but I guess FRR is going to have their established veteran in Truex. Yet, the 77 could turn into a revolving door for other JGR drivers in development. It makes sense for a one year deal.

That's what I asked - because in that aspect a 1 year deal makes zero sense.

Everyone has made their cases as to why nobody in the current JGR camp is going anywhere. With this move though, it seems there may be something that only they know. I suppose it'll be a while before we found out but something definitely seems up. Maybe Kenseth announces that 2017 is his last, or maybe Hambone is out?

So why would they get a charter if this is only a one year deal? Sign this kid for 4 or 5.
Charters can be rented from someone else for a year. In the short run, that may be easier to do while allowing a year and a half to close the deal on buying one.

Another thing to consider is that *gasp* Jones may not turn out to be a good fit. Remember JGR's last uber-rookie? Here, have some Sliced Bread.

Kenseth is ancient. Hamlin is mercurial. Busch is Mr. Minor League and on sponsor probation. Edwards can't stick a landing any more. Take your pick...:D:D:D

So why would they get a charter if this is only a one year deal? Sign this kid for 4 or 5.

Probably components of the deal involving him being on loan from Gibbs proper. It also makes sense if they're only looking to do a one-year charter lease.

It's not as if Furniture Row is a second-tier outfit any more. Moving to Toyota and hooking up with Gibbs has made a huge difference in their results. He may wind up going year-to-year at FR for three or four before something opens up at Gibbs. Heck, for all we know he may decide he likes the mountains and take up skiing and drinking Coors. :D

I like the Dillon Bros. Ty is super talented in his own right and will be a taking over a team that's already established, while Jones will be with a whole new 2nd FRR team
Also think Ty will have a little bit of an advantage because he's more experienced than Jones.
Jones had just one full season in the Xfinity and in the Truck Series, while Ty had two in the Truck Series and three in the Xfinity.
I think Jones came into the Cup Series a bit too early, another year in the Xfinity wouldn't have been bad for him.

Also think Ty will have a little bit of an advantage because he's more experienced than Jones.
Jones had just one full season in the Xfinity and in the Truck Series, while Ty had two in the Truck Series and three in the Xfinity.
I think Jones came into the Cup Series a bit too early, another year in the Xfinity wouldn't have been bad for him.
Even with these facts, I still just don't see Ty finishing better than Jones on a regular basis.

Earlier this year I was thinking Kenseth might be the odd man out, but both he and Joe Gibbs kind of put that to rest. Matt seemed to want to race for several more years, and Joe said the plan was for him to retire with JGR. Matt's still a top flight driver, so I can't imagine JGR wanting to push him out anytime soon.

I'd say TRD is pulling the strings here.

I think that TRD and JGR are so tight right now that they are one in the same. My read is the one year deal is dependent upon Matt's retirement--whenever that should be. He goes another year at JGR, and Erik's deal gets extended another year, etc. I do not believe that Hamlin or anybody else will be shown the door, and I do believe that Erik will be satisfied at least in the short term with the FRR placement. I think that the expectation was that we would all understand the plan that Coach talked about for Erik on Sunday. Come to find out, this is just the start of said plan IMO.

Having said all of that Aunty, it certainly was interesting to see David Wilson at the presser. In signing a team to Toyota like last year with FRR, it would be expected, but his attendance over a driver signing is a clear indication of TRD's commitment to drivers now. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
A very smart move putting Jones with Truex. Their are way to many ego's at JGR and putting Jones with that bunch would kill his career just like it did Joey's. Maybe the coach has seen the error of his ways in how to handle good talent.

I have a feeling it may be Hamlin who makes an early exit from racing if his back stays the same. It is the main reason that JG had a brief retirement. I would like to see Suarez moved to FRR in 2018. I think he is a better fit and is easy on his equipment. I also think he will be a better veteran driver than Jones and a good team mate to Truex.

Here's an excerpt from an article from late April this year. The entire article link is posted below.

Kenseth's not going anywhere
But Kenseth’s boss, Joe Gibbs, insists emphatically his senior driver’s future is secure.

“Kenseth’s future is — we love him,” Gibbs says with a laugh. “I can tell you that right now. We love Matt Kenseth. He’s a big part of our program. We don’t need to announce anything. He’s solid.”

Kenseth is in his 17th season on the Cup tour — and shows no signs of slowing down. If anything, the move to JGR revitalized Kenseth, who has won one-third of his Cup races in his three seasons since joining Gibbs.

On Friday after qualifying second for Sunday's Food City 500, Kenseth said retirement was the farthest thing from his mind.

“I feel incredibly good, I’m driving I think arguably the best team in the sport, love the guys I’m working with and we’re still really competitive,” Kenseth said. “Our sport is just so different. I think you see a lot of people not go out on their own terms because they keep trying to do it for too long because they can still get a job and they can still maybe get in stuff that’s maybe not as good, but somebody is still going to hire them.

“This sport clearly isn’t nearly as athletic as those other sports so your body, you don’t have to throw a football 50 yards and you don’t have to be able to dunk the ball and run hard for an hour. You don’t have to be able to do that stuff as you can look around the garage and see there’s some people in great physical shape and some that probably aren’t in such great physical shape, and both groups win races and win championships. I think it’s a little different. I’m thankfully not to that point yet.”

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...-that-he-isn-t-considering-retirement-687884/

The Hendrick black-ops people are bringing the pieces together to get Jones in the 88 when Earnhardt quits.

How did we miss this?

Jones Expected to leave FRR after 2017
http://beyondtheflag.com/2016/08/12...ted-to-leave-furniture-row-racing-after-2017/

I just don't get it. Why?? He's too good of a talent to let go.

My thinking is that Matt retires after 2017, and Erik takes his spot. If Matt stays, I think that means that Toyota has another team in the wings to round out the eight driver line up that TRD/Toyota is looking for, and Erik joins that team. I would think that this team would operate as FRR does in terms of being a satellite. Who might this team be? Well, let's put it this way.....TRD/Toyota started the driver development program because they lost Larson. Getting him back and taking in Ganassi would be huge. Jamie Mac would be out. There is very clearly a plan being played out here. David Wilson re-asserted that Erik will be in a Toyota for as long as he drives. TRD/Toyota is as high on Erik as Chevy is on Jr. Honestly, I love that Visser's philosophy and culture. It appears to me that Martin is a lock, and everything else is gravy.

My thinking is that Matt retires after 2017, and Erik takes his spot. If Matt stays, I think that means that Toyota has another team in the wings to round out the eight driver line up that TRD/Toyota is looking for, and Erik joins that team. I would think that this team would operate as FRR does in terms of being a satellite. Who might this team be? Well, let's put it this way.....TRD/Toyota started the driver development program because they lost Larson. Getting him back and taking in Ganassi would be huge. Jamie Mac would be out. There is very clearly a plan being played out here. David Wilson re-asserted that Erik will be in a Toyota for as long as he drives. TRD/Toyota is as high on Erik as Chevy is on Jr. Honestly, I love that Visser's philosophy and culture. It appears to me that Martin is a lock, and everything else is gravy.

All TRD's machinations don't mean jack if Jones hits free agency and someone else steps up with a bigger check.

A very smart move putting Jones with Truex. Their are way to many ego's at JGR and putting Jones with that bunch would kill his career just like it did Joey's. Maybe the coach has seen the error of his ways in how to handle good talent.

I have a feeling it may be Hamlin who makes an early exit from racing if his back stays the same. It is the main reason that JG had a brief retirement. I would like to see Suarez moved to FRR in 2018. I think he is a better fit and is easy on his equipment. I also think he will be a better veteran driver than Jones and a good team mate to Truex.

Hopefully Marty boy won't turn Jones into the whining diva he has become.

All TRD's machinations don't mean jack if Jones hits free agency and someone else steps up with a bigger check.

There are some people who don't believe all that the future guarantees is death and taxes.

isn't it obvious this article means he will be in a JGR car in 2018

For all intents and purposes, think of the 77 as a JGR/TRD entry into Cup. And the 78 as Barney's car & "title contender" (business as usual, as though there is no 2nd car).

So...in a perfect world, the plan is for Erik to take over for the next available JGR opening. Probably Kenseth. MAYBE Carl depending on what he's willing to take on his next contract. It will likely happen after next season, though could be '18, but when it does, Suarez would then inherit the 77. Then, if he moves to JGR in 18 or 19, look for someone like Byron or Bell to move to the 77. Rinse, repeat...

For what it's worth, TRD & JGR have a vested interest in funding the 77. It's not just Barney's group going out and finding money so that Coach can develop his talent. TRD & JGR are committed. They have more to lose should the 77 go away than Barney.

For all intents and purposes, think of the 77 as a JGR/TRD entry into Cup. And the 78 as Barney's car & "title contender" (business as usual, as though there is no 2nd car).

So...in a perfect world, the plan is for Erik to take over for the next available JGR opening. Probably Kenseth. MAYBE Carl depending on what he's willing to take on his next contract. It will likely happen after next season, though could be '18, but when it does, Suarez would then inherit the 77. Then, if he moves to JGR in 18 or 19, look for someone like Byron or Bell to move to the 77. Rinse, repeat...

For what it's worth, TRD & JGR have a vested interest in funding the 77. It's not just Barney's group going out and finding money so that Coach can develop his talent. TRD & JGR are committed. They have more to lose should the 77 go away than Barney.

You may not know or you may not be able to tell us but are Carl and Matt both in their last contract year next year?

Did I miss something ? Or are they still working on a charter for the 77 ? And how big a deal is it?

Would you say that about Junior & Chevy? Would Junior even make it to free agency? If you say, "Yes," to either or both, I would categorically disagree. Not saying I'm right, but I would completely disagree. This is how strongly I feel about the depth of the relationship TRD has with Erik Jones. I have never seen anything like it from TRD/Toyota because it has never existed until now (as it relates to a young driver--think he is getting the Kyle Busch treatment before winning his first Cup race). David Wilson is as shrewd as Roger Penske. He doesn't machinate.

You may not know or you may not be able to tell us but are Carl and Matt both in their last contract year next year?

Not sure. I think Matt is 1yr, with a 1yr option. Not sure about Carl.

What I am sure about is that there's plenty of very affordable young drivers out there who are going to make high priced drivers pretty nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unlikely. Visser is a player.

He might be negotiating for the one that's currently on lease.

Yeah, I think the plan is to lease for a season or two just to make sure the 77 is a successful experiment. Then buy one moving forward. (Of course I wouldn't be surprised if they just went ahead and bought one.)

Yeah, I think the plan is to lease for a season or two just to make sure the 77 is a successful experiment. Then buy one moving forward. (Of course I wouldn't be surprised if they just went ahead and bought one.)

I assume Visser would want to own it outright as opposed to Gibbs controlling it ?

Back
Top Bottom