F1: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix

What could have been a massive day for Red Bull in the Constructors will instead be a slight gain, as Perez won't be gaining any points on Bottas.

This track is the F1 equivalent of Darlington. Difficult to drive and even harder to pass

Good recovery by Hamilton with a damaged car, no doubt.

Some incredibly lucky circumstances for Hamilton after he put it in the gravel but he made the most of it afterwards, even got the fastest lap point. Feels good that we finally seem to have a championship fight between two different teams again.

Ferrari are on their way back and Stroll is honestly sneaky good.

Anyone notice most of the collisions happened on a straight piece of road? I get it how difficult this is, but that's poor driving of the first magnitude. When they aren't doing that, they are running each other off on the exits. I've never see formula one drivers collectively being such a bunch of heathens, but it seems to be ok with the officials who never do anything to stop it. Crash more cars. it's good for ratings, right?

What Verstappen did to Hamilton on the first lap was inexcusable. They hit front wheel to front wheel, so I don't want to hear Hamilton wasn't alongside far enough. Verstappen owed him more room, and I hope Hamilton doesn't forget this. However, it's not entirely Verstappen's fault that the officials never enforce any sort of driving standard. You can do just about anything you want (especially if you are defending), and probably get away with it.

I'm not sure if Russel overreacted or if Botas really was going to shove him off, but it was just a kink in the road and they could have easily raced it out. All Russel had to do was pull that pass off and he'de put himself in good shape to take that seat, but Botas apparently would have rather crashed them both. You would have to read Botas mind to know if he was done drifting out and was going to give Russel some room, but the dirty driving up and down the field is so far out of control that you have to expect every single one of them to push you off at any time you challenge them. Maybe Russel overreacted a little, but at least he was the only driver in the race actively avoiding collisions.

Latifi wins dumbass of the race not just for running off, but getting crashed out while blocking under yellow is legendary level stupid. Even if you get passed they have to give it back, but run them over anyway. Mazepin is sure having a rough initiation, but who expected him to be the victim?

Did we forget already what can happen when you chop another car off on a straight? It was only just Bahrain last year that Grosjean cut off another car and ended up going through the guardrail. That didn't wake any of these guys up? Generally this was the sloppiest and dirtiest Grand Prix I can remember, but the officials didn't care enough to get a grip on it so I'm done caring too.

Formula One has reduced it's entertainment value to seeing million dollar cars getting destroyed. This is the pinnacle.

Last edited:
Anyone notice most of the collisions happened on a straight piece of road? I get it how difficult this is, but that's poor driving of the first magnitude. When they aren't doing that, they are running each other off on the exits. I've never see formula one drivers collectively being such a bunch of heathens, but it seems to be ok with the officials who never do anything to stop it. Crash more cars. it's good for ratings, right?

What Verstappen did to Hamilton on the first lap was inexcusable. They hit front wheel to front wheel, so I don't want to hear Hamilton wasn't alongside far enough. Verstappen owed him more room, and I hope Hamilton doesn't forget this. However, it's not entirely Verstappen's fault that the officials never enforce any sort of driving standard. You can do just about anything you want (especially if you are defending), and probably get away with it.

I'm not sure if Russel overreacted or if Botas really was going to shove him off, but it was just a kink in the road and they could have easily raced it out. All Russel had to do was pull that pass off and he'de put himself in good shape to take that seat, but Botas apparently would have rather crashed them both. You would have to read Botas mind to know if he was done drifting out and was going to give Russel some room, but the dirty driving up and down the field is so far out of control that you have to expect every single one of them to push you off at any time you challenge them. Maybe Russel overreacted a little, but at least he was the only driver in the race actively avoiding collisions.

Latifi wins dumbass of the race not just for running off, but getting crashed out while blocking under yellow is legendary level stupid. Even if you get passed they have to give it back, but run them over anyway. Mazepin is sure having a rough initiation, but who expected him to be the victim?

Did we forget already what can happen when you chop another car off on a straight? It was only just Bahrain last year that Grosjean cut off another car and ended up going through the guardrail. That didn't wake any of these guys up? Generally this was the sloppiest and dirtiest Grand Prix I can remember, but the officials didn't care enough to get a grip on it so I'm done caring too.

Formula One has reduced it's entertainment value to seeing million dollar cars getting destroyed. This is the pinnacle.
Formula 1 is just copying NASCAR. More crashes = better ratings.

After their form near the end of last season, I expected them to keep a bit closer. Just goes to show the improvement in Ferrari, Mclaren, and Alpha Tauri.

They're also paying Alonso a hefty 20 millions, that's 5 millions less than Verstappen. Alonso is good but certainly overpaying here when you consider all the factors.

already on the wet part of the track — touched the grass

Stopped right there. No need to keep reading. You're the car trying to make the pass on the wettest part of the track and you also go off it into the grass and still blame the other guy?

I was kind of high on Russell but his actions today did not impress on and off. That helmet knock he gave Bottas while he was still strapped into his car bother me a lot.

Formula 1 is just copying NASCAR. More crashes = better ratings.
Not necessarily.

I think the older tracks like Imola represent something that isn't seen in modern F1. These guys are not only having to race against one another, but also race the track. Imola is just a hard track to get around and its narrow with these extremely wide cars.

If it was the previous chassis regs, it would not be as much of an issue, but it truly is. These cars are beasts and look amazing, but they are so wide it makes it an issue to pass on narrower circuits.

The race was ragged, however that's just racing. Some races are better than others. Fun race, even without the chaos. Portimao is awesome because its a modern-day track with an old school feel. Follows the land layout and nothing seems forced.

Stopped right there. No need to keep reading. You're the car trying to make the pass on the wettest part of the track and you also go off it into the grass and still blame the other guy?

I was kind of high on Russell but his actions today did not impress on and off. That helmet knock he gave Bottas while he was still strapped into his car bother me a lot.
Russell was about to pass a works Merc on pace in a Williams.

Like Russell's pace was very good, I'm happy if I'm Merc, its just reeling him in and calming him down is the most important thing. Rather have a fast driver to calm down than speed up.

Toto had to go on the radio to tell Bottas to up his pace. That's not a good sign, Bottas knows he's on the hot seat.

Russell was about to pass a works Merc on pace in a Williams.

Like Russell's pace was very good, I'm happy if I'm Merc, its just reeling him in and calming him down is the most important thing. Rather have a fast driver to calm down than speed up.

Toto had to go on the radio to tell Bottas to up his pace. That's not a good sign, Bottas knows he's on the hot seat.

On pace is a stretch. Bottas confirmed he had just pitted for dry tires and was getting them up to temps.

You're the car trying to make the pass on the wettest part of the track and you also go off it into the grass and still blame the other guy?
Read Russel's view first. His explanation looks dead on. Russel wouldn't have been on the wet part if Botas didn't move over. Remember, you're not supposed to do it. Botas broke the gentlemen's agreement between the drivers. With that in mind, it's pretty black and white, thogh I am willing to listen to Botas's side.

That helmet knock he gave Bottas while he was still strapped into his car bother me a lot.

But squeezing a guy off the road at 200mph onto the wet grass doesn't bother you a lot? It was a little slap to the helmet. maybe not great sportsmanship, but compared to the lunatic chopping, blocking and swerving we saw from virtually everyone all day, maybe the mildest thing we saw.

Also, a single point slipping away from Williams is worse than anything that has happened to Mercedes since all their cars flew off into the woods at LeMans 99.

On pace is a stretch. Bottas confirmed he had just pitted for dry tires and was getting them up to temps.
They were wheel to wheel going past the pits, so he had at least a full lap on them.

Look, any time something doesn't go perfectly, there's always an excuse. If you listen to these guys, no one has ever outraced them. There's always an excuse. This isn't picking on Botas. It's the primma donna nature of most Formula One drivers.

After I reviewed the Russell / Bottas crash, it happened so quick
that the only point of reference for me was the dry line. To me,
I thought Bottas was just minding his business keeping the dry line
when all of a sudden George shows up spraying water every where
trying to take the dry line. That was a nasty crash for sure.

I like a wet race like this every now and then. It will separate the wheat and the
chaff; the lucky and unlucky; the prepared and un-prepared.

Read Russel's view first. His explanation looks dead on. Russel wouldn't have been on the wet part if Botas didn't move over. Remember, you're not supposed to do it.

Ummm

Russell was on the wet patch long before making the big move even.

What's more Bottas left a lot of room to the right and Russell decided to push it even more. Onboard looks clear to me.

This is how you make an overtake without looking like a clown and knowing the track limits.

Notice how both Norris and Leclerc defended by doing exactly what Bottas did? They moved slightly to the right.

Absolute 101 clinic on how to pass by Lewish here.

Bottas fading to the right made Russell overreact.

No one is saying Russell is innocent, but Bottas is not clear of guilt either. Toto said it best, if Bottas was not back there in the first place, he would have not to be worried about that issue.

I have my mind made its a racing incident with 50/50 blame, no one driver can point all the blame. Russell, I like the ferocity, however its just not all Bottas' fault. He has to take blame, too.

He committed, but thats the thing as the passer either the pass gets done or back out, I hope Russell uses a bit better judgement, I like the aggressiveness. Just he has to finish or reset and try again.

Last edited:
Anybody else disappointed about Alpine?

After their form near the end of last season, I expected them to keep a bit closer. Just goes to show the improvement in Ferrari, Mclaren, and Alpha Tauri.
For their sake I hope they are punting on this season in preparation for the new regs. They have Alonso for two seasons so next year is huge for them, although I really thought that signing was strange from the beginning. And I don't think we ever got a clear answer on why Cyril was pushed out. I think the clock is ticking on Renault/Alpine's involvement as a factory team. You can only have mediocre results for so long as a factory.

Max is growing on me. His maturity level has gone from about a 3 to 10 in a span of 3 years. See what happens when you start using your head? Consistency is king which leads to wins and success.

Unnoticed is that Nikita Mazepin was just about the only driver who didn't have a sloppy race, and only got taken out by another driver's dumbass blocking ...... on the straight, of course.

It's all caused by drivers swerving or fading or drifting over on each other, and it's all deliberate. Some are pure idiots who completely close the door, and some just squeeze you while trying to intimidate you into backing off. That's what Botas was doing, only Russel overreacted and tried to give him too much room. Botas deserved to be punted into Switzerland, or even all the way back home. Really stupid way to get taken out, but in the end it was his own actions that led to it.

Either way, it's turning Formula One into high speed chicken, and I think we all agree Formula One is should be better than that. It's a straight piece of road. Why can't they simply drive straight instead of squeezing each other?

The problem is, Formula One is so safe the drivers have no fear any more. We're on borrowed time and the idiots are pushing for the clock to run out. I know people are unhappy that I blamed Botas, but he's the one who ignored the gentleman's agreement. That, and it's just Botas this time. Next week it will be someone else because it always is, every single race.

Sure, are we going to have rules or gentleman's agreements? Perhaps all this stuff is actually spelled out in the rulebook (because it is)? The FIA has ignored it's own rulebook for at least 2 decades. If they contact in the corners that just happens, but these guys are dumbasses to squeeze each other on a wet, straight piece of road at terminal velocity. It's not that they want to die. They are just too stupid to know they can, and don't worry, if they keep this up that's in the cards. Then everyone will be all weepy eyed and asking how they could let this happen. Well, you did let it happen, dumbasses, just like you did nothing about speeding under yellow until it got someone killed.

I'm to the point if the drivers don't care and the officials don't care, I don't give a damm either, but I don't want to hear the first damm word about Mazepin being dangerous. He's just doing what he saw his heroes doing while he was growing up. He watched Senna and Schumacher chop, block, swerve and carve up two generations of hapless victims , all while the officials did nothing and the sycophant's cheered it all. It was Senna and Schumacher, supposed legends, who started and perfected all this dirty driving. Mazepin is just emulating his heroes ands he's just doing whatever everyone else has been getting away with for decades.

Bottas fading to the right made Russell overreact.

No one is saying Russell is innocent, but Bottas is not clear of guilt either. Toto said it best, if Bottas was not back there in the first place, he would have not to be worried about that issue.

I have my mind made its a racing incident with 50/50 blame, no one driver can point all the blame. Russell, I like the ferocity, however its just not all Bottas' fault. He has to take blame, too.

He committed, but thats the thing as the passer either the pass gets done or back out, I hope Russell uses a bit better judgement, I like the aggressiveness. Just he has to finish or reset and try again.

Chill lol we see WAY more aggressive driving regularly in IndyCar

See, drivers collide and have an almighty "accident," and the officials just let it slide like nothing happened.

"The best drivers in the world" not only can't go from point a to point b without ramming each other, but they are not penalized for it either.

This is your "pinnacle"

Well it was either that or penalized Russell imo. You cant objectively look at the accident and say Bottas bears more responsibility here.

Key words there being Bottas being on the dry line and leaving ample space for a pass to be made. The penalty for both was severe enough in the end as both crashed hard so we move on.

Chill lol we see WAY more aggressive driving regularly in IndyCar
They don't swerve into each other on the straights. Reactive blocking is expressly illegal in Indycar, but F1 drivers do it every lap.

Let's just go back a few months and see what happened to Grosjean at Bahrain when he cut another car off on the straight. Do we really want that to happen again and take our chances, or maybe we should just say that sort of thing shouldn't be allowed? I'm betting we just forget how close that was to being a disaster, and then we will wake up when someone gets ripped in half or burned to death.

The sad thing is Grosjean didn't give a damm about the rules then, and now we have to live with him in Indycars.

Key words there being Bottas being on the dry line and leaving ample space for a pass to be made.
Except he moved in the braking zone, which is illegal. It's also part of a "gentleman's agreement" between the drivers. Moving under braking, or in the braking zone. is expressly illegal and is what led to this accident. If Botas holds his line, he might be passed, but he would have still been in the race and a million dollars worth of cars wouldn't have gotten trashed.

Russel, meanwhile, is making a clean pass and Botas moves over on him. Russel merely overreacted to that, got on the grass and that was the end of the record, but he overreacted to a maneuver that was illegal to begin with.

Don't worry, though, Botas is merely wearing the clown hat this week. Next week it will be someone else who swerves like a drunk and takes someone out. It happens almost ever race now.

However, back to Hamilton's recovery: epic greatness on full display.

I wouldn't call that a braking zone. They were flat out throttle there.
I believe they were just past the first marker, which means they are in the braking zone. Either way, it was a last second reactive block. Even if that is allowed, you can see the result.

Back
Top Bottom