F1 2022 News/Misc.

If pictures could talk, sheesh:

Gasly and Ocon would be a very strong line-up. Now, we have to see what Sauber does with Zhou. Haas, Williams, and AT all have a seat available if Gasly moves to Alpine. For Alpine, that creates another bottleneck because of Jack Doohan's performance. Also, Felipe Drugovich, if he wins F2 what will happen to him? A test role?

Zhou has earned another year with his pace, he’s just had terribly bad luck. He’s been pretty on-par with Valtteri on speed though and it seems Alfa are leaning towards bringing him back than replacing him with Pourchaire.

I’d like to see Ricciardo to Haas, Sargeant to Williams, Herta to AT - the latter of which will very possibly see the FIA giving out more Super License points for IndyCar in the future as well. There’s some smoke about Gio to Haas but I’m really not feeling it, his time has come and gone imo.

Doohan is an interesting prospect and I hope Alpine lock him down better than they handled Piastri. This is where not having any customers is a big issue. I know they’d love to have Andretti but it just doesn’t seem likely.

Selfishly I’d like to see Drugo move to IndyCar but I guess he might be headed to Aston as a reserve/test driver. That’s a tough gig behind Lawrence’s son and the F1 Mark Martin. It’s his third year in F2 and all but he’s been consistently dominant this season at a less reputable team.

Honestly still just too hard to get into the series. F1 keep saying they have interested parties besides Andretti. Maybe prove it? The grid is too small yet the existing teams don’t want to give up some of their share of an expanding pie. Need to figure something out.

Am I the only one that think Mick moves to Williams on a prove it deal? I think Merc signs him on as a driver, I cannot see De Vries getting that seat.

Outside of the first flurry of races, K-Mag has been pretty quiet.

I doubt an engine supplier has a say in things like that, besides isn't there a major shuffle amongst most teams next year for engine supply.

His results haven't even been bad, but I think Ferrari wants him gone due to him pulling out of the FDA.
Scratching my head about both halves of this one, @Kiante. Do you think the FDA decision was a unilateral decision by Mick??

Scratching my head about both halves of this one, @Kiante. Do you think the FDA decision was a unilateral decision by Mick??
Mick pulled out of the FDA on his own, he was not forced out of it. There were rumors of him being considered by Alpine, but the Gasly rumors continue to louder.

I think its the reason Gio is a canidate for the Haas seat and Nico Hulkenburg.

I guess if Palou wins his release, he could probably start as a post race data observer for a couple years :D
It would be a truly bonehead move to leave a championship winning Indycar drive for anything less than a full race position in a top three F1 team. I am afraid Palou may have shot himself in the foot.

Mick does have what I think is a pretty healthy personal sponsorship from 1&1, I could be wrong though. There may be one other one I’m missing right now too.

There are some Mick to AT rumors but it seems they’re pretty fixated on getting Herta a Super License by any way possible and putting him in the vacated seat. That pretty much leaves Williams left, and they seem pretty high on Sargeant. I’m not sure if they want him to spend a year as just a test/reserve driver, and I see little to no value in him doing another year of F2.

Not super surprised to hear about Drugo. I think you have to take whatever offer gets you in the door, even though I have no real expectation that it’ll lead to a race seat for him eventually. IndyCar will always be there.

I needed some help trying to keep up with all of these F1 and Indycar
contract comings and goings , so I resorted to using this:

1662238730708.png

The system will need to be revamped.
Super Formula and IndyCar both need to pay out a lot more. There’s no way either of those prepare you worse for F1 than F3. Obviously they want to funnel younger talent to F2 and F3 but that’s nonsense.

I don't agree with this move.

FIA needs to be transparent, Pato got out of Red Bull because of this issue. I love Colton, however to make an exception now is pretty messed up. This SL system is pretty damn bad and needs to be revamped, ASAP.

I don't agree with this move.

FIA needs to be transparent, Pato got out of Red Bull because of this issue. I love Colton, however to make an exception now is pretty messed up. This SL system is pretty damn bad and needs to be revamped, ASAP.
They can award an exception for drivers who have at least 30 points reportedly, Herta is at 32 right now. Pato at the time had 22, iirc. You can also get 1 point each weekend for 100km of practice running in FP1. Sounds like it wouldn’t be too difficult to get pretty close. If necessary, F3 Regional Asian over the winter is also reportedly an option.

They definitely need to rethink the awards for certain series but it doesn’t seem that infeasible are the moment.

Another successful Porsche F1 blueballing. Probably their best to date.

I hope Honda decide to stick around come 2026 now.

Is it safe to say that Lambo is afraid of failure and being upstaged by Ferrari.
Lamborghini have very little racing pedigree, Ferruccio Lamborghini was supposedly never a supporter of factory-backed racing. Besides that one bad foray into F1 in the early 90’s they didn’t really do anything big on an international level until going hard into GT racing within the past decade - which has been very successful. Guessing it’s just a matter of managing resources and taking smaller steps to build a racing background.

Lamborghini have very little racing pedigree
I will interpret that as fear, all VW needs to do is use their resources to produce a competitive engine and slap a sticker on the car after all. I remember Porsche giving it a try in Indycar and getting spanked, never to come back again.

I will interpret that as fear, all VW needs to do is use their resources to produce a competitive engine and slap a sticker on the car after all. I remember Porsche giving it a try in Indycar and getting spanked, never to come back again.
VW are getting into F1, just with Audi - a completely in-house project with the engine building based out of Germany. The VW brands typically have a strong degree of autonomy so Idk why they’d slap a Lambo badge on a Audi-built engine from Germany.

Lambo competes against Ferrari in GT racing and come 2024, prototype racing.

What did Mick do to piss off Gunther?
They definitely had some sort of falling out, probably the early crash damage bills in part, parting with FDA doesn’t help either. But it definitely is more personal than it needs to be.

If Haas want to keep being an ambitionless team than I say knock yourselves out. Gio would be a super uninspiring signing but whatever, they have no budget and botched their one major update of the season already. Mick had a great chance for points with his qualifying at Zandvoort and his first two stops combined for 16 seconds. It might be good for him to get out of that 🤡 show anyways.

Palou and O’Ward will be doing TPC work with McLaren at Barcelona today through the end of the week. Herta was reportedly set to be there as well, not so sure after some other rumors in the last 24 hours. He’s said to be testing with Alpine at the Hungaroring next week alongside Jack Doohan and Nyck de Vries.

With Herta out, the latest scuttlebutt is De Vries to AlphaTauri, Gasly to Alpine, Sargeant to Williams - provided he finishes 5th or better in F2 and gets his final Super License points. He’s currently 3rd but only +9 points over 6th heading into the finale at Abu Dhabi.

To think Danny Ric and Mick will be out of the sport? Incredible scenes man.

To think Danny Ric and Mick will be out of the sport? Incredible scenes man.
Yet with a retread like Gio or Hulk in the other Haas…meh. I’m sure Mick will find somewhere else to race but I’m curious to see if Danny goes on sabbatical or does some part-time stuff at this stage in his career.

Back
Top Bottom