F1 2022 News/Misc.

Regardless of what you think of Bernie Ecclestone, there is no doubt that the man is a financial criminal...

Not sure how serious to take this poll, but 77% of respondents would like to see Hamilton awarded the 2021 crown:

Not sure how serious to take this poll, but 77% of respondents would like to see Hamilton awarded the 2021 crown:

English newspaper...
F1 is gonna be smart enough not to reverse the championship result of the greatest season in history.
If RBR actually exceeded the budget cap they will (and should) receive a fine and that's it.

Minor overspend breach <5% over the cap will come down to fines/reduction in future cap, reduced wind tunnel hours, WCC points deduction (since they finished 2nd in that anyways). I really don’t see them touching the WDC for a minor breach, and for the even bigger ****show it would cause.

I really don’t see them touching the WDC for a minor breach, and for the even bigger ****show it would cause.

It's going to be a ****show no matter how it turns out. In the end, the FIA is going to look when all they are doing is enforcing the rules. I don't see a good outcome for them.

I can't see them taking Max' championship even in a major overspend. Max didn't do a thing wrong, but the team sure messed it up, If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might suggest that they are trying to make up for Abu Dabi and give Lewis his 8th championship. I don't actually believe that, but if they take his championship, that idea will be tossed around a lot.

Haas announce a title sponsorship for next season which they say will allow them to spend up to the budget cap.

Maybe now they can afford to hire a front runner like Ricciardo.

As far as that second open Hass seat, I was hoping they would give Mick another year. All least year he never got to race anyone except occasionally Mazepin (and all that counts there weas surviving Mazepin). That was, well.........because he wasn't racing. He was just driving around all by himself in a year old, irrelevant car. He probably learned more in F2.

Being at Haas in 21 was a losing proposition. They knew they were going to be last every weekend. I don't think experience in that car helped Mick even a little when they completely changed the cars for 22. Mick came in this year with very little F1 wheel to wheel experience and a brand-new type of car. I'de be willing to view 22 as Mick's rookie season, and with that in mind he has not done that badly.

It was either Steiner or Haas himself that mentioned Mick has cost them a lot of money in wrecked cars, and if that's a priority, why did they keep Grosjean for so long? He tore up a ton more stuff, so much more it's not even close. I think Haas is holding out for maybe Ricciardo, or someone else they feel will get then better results than Mick has. Now Mick has that sword of Damocles hanging over him to get good results with a car that has fallen off the pace. Even Mags hasn't bagged many points lately either.

OTOH, Emerson Fittipaldi said Mick should go to Williams because they stand to improve the most, while there is no telling where Haas will be. If I am Mick with a firm offer from Williams, I'de take that over a team that may or may not want me. Mick is not in a good position to be fighting for the last and second to last car, but I think almost everyone hopes he stays in F1 and makes the most out of wherever he lands. If he has to suck it up for a few years at Williams, remember that didn't hurt Russel much.

Good catch Doc, congratulations to Hamilton on winning the 2021 Championship :D
Oh, damn, I hope they don't do that. I don't want to see Max lose a championship for something the team did. Max did everything right including winning Abu Dabi. It's Red Bull and the FIA that tainted last year, not Max. He should not have to pay for their mistakes.

Everyone got boxxed in at Abu Dabi. Hamilton got robbed, but Max did exactly what he was supposed to and won the race. From there, do you take Max' championship because Massi screwed up, or do we just give Hamilton the hose? The moment Masi changed the rules in the middle of the game, there was no turning back and no way to make it right.

There was nothing that could be done once Max won on global TV. Everyone saw Max win the championship, so how could they possibly undo that? It certainly was not right, but once you put yourself and everyone else in the impossible position, anything you do will be wrong.

If they do reverse the championship on this budget thing, many will view it as the FIA righting the wrong of Abu Dabi. No, all that is going to do is screw Max, who proved himself to be a worthy champion this year. I also can't imagine Hamilton taking any joy in a championship decided a year later in the FIA courts.

If they do reverse the championship on this budget thing, many will view it as the FIA righting the wrong of Abu Dabi. No, all that is going to do is screw Max, who proved himself to be a worthy champion this year. I also can't imagine Hamilton taking any joy in a championship decided a year later in the FIA courts.
It was a joke Doc ... why do you even talk about it. In other news the world is flat :D ... spread the news

Scene 2: 2021 results revised to a more desirable conclusion. British media has a collective ***asm.

Scene 3: Verstappen refuses to attend 2021 Awards Banquet 2.0. British media ridicules Verstappen's lack of originality for imitating Hamilton more original banquet boycott.

Scene 4: F1 Final Results Reconciliation Board reconvenes and decides to ghost the entire 2021 season. All 2021 records,events, documents, and media have will have been deleted (except for collected F1 fees and profits).

Scene 5: This post and thread will self delete in 25 years to remove all traces of the ghosted season.

ESPN and F1 confirm their new deal through 2025. At least 16 races on ABC and ESPN each season, an increase from now. Commercial-free coverage for races across ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 remains, with some integration of ESPN+ coming as well. More qualifying sessions on ESPN/ESPN2 also. Potential for ESPN to be on-site at races outside the U.S.

American Logan Sargeant is set to take the second Williams seat in 2023 provided he earns the requisite Super License points the rest of the year. He gets two more FP1 runs at Mexico City and Abu Dhabi and currently sits 3rd in F2 points, +9 to 6th and +12 to 7th.

ESPN and F1 confirm their new deal through 2025. At least 16 races on ABC and ESPN each season, an increase from now. Commercial-free coverage for races across ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 remains, with some integration of ESPN+ coming as well. More qualifying sessions on ESPN/ESPN2 also. Potential for ESPN to be on-site at races outside the U.S.

Okay, if the coverage is commercial free, how does Sky pay to produce it? I assume ESPN is eating the licensing fee (a relatively trivial $5M annually under the old contract, according to AP). Does the series itself make enough to pay for coverage itself?

Rolling Stone says a sub to F1 TV in the US is $10 / month or $64 / year. I'd certainly pay that if I didn't want to move up a cable tier to get ESPN2. I'd happily pay $100 annually to get comparable Cup coverage, or $150 for the top three NASCAR series.

Back
Top Bottom