F1 2024 News/Misc.

Red Bull looks finished to me. The Max to Merc is making more and more sense.
Maybe the entire company is in trouble. There's something going on inside the company that's driving this. The Horner mess was designed to destabilize the team, and seeing everyone at each other's throats shows how well that has worked.

Red Bull finished? How sad considering the drivers are 1,2 and they locked out the front row this weekend. They look unbeatable, but whatever is going on has never happened to a team in history.

Okay, ignorant questions time:
  • What are the responsibilities of Marko's role of 'advisor'? Is this a role unique to Red Bull or does it common to all F1 teams? Is it comparable to any position in NASCAR or Indy?
  • What's Jos V.'s role at RB?
Thanks!
Marko’s biggest role is as head of their driver development program/junior academy. He signed Max to the team when he was starring in Euro F3.

Jos is an ultra annoying helicopter parent they never found a way to get rid of.

...where influential women’s rights activists have been advocating for a boycott of Red Bull due to recent events.
I'm sure they're out there but I don't recall seeing a woman drinking Red Bull.

Of course, there could also be boycotts of Red Bull-sponsored events. The event organizers might have some degree of leverage.

Regardless, it appears writing a check wasn't sufficient to make the problem go away.

Marko’s biggest role is as head of their driver development program/junior academy.
Right now Marko's biggest roll is surviving so Max doesn't leave.

This whole thing is so sad because if Jos wasn't stirring sht up everyone would probably be fine. Red Bull is such a huge dynasty to see it potentially brought down with this kind of garbage just underlines how cut throat F1 really is.

This whole thing is so sad because if Jos wasn't stirring sht up everyone would probably be fine.
Waitaminute? There appears to be a case of sexual harrassment, but it 'would probably be fine' if someone else would just quit talking about it? Does that come under 'sweeping under the rug' or 'shooting the messenger'.

RB has badly mismanaged this.

I have no strong opinions about any of the machinations behind the scenes other than sexual harassment is not cool. It feels like no one actually cares about the victim in this story but they're happy to use or ignore what has happened for their own ends. Like, does anyone believe Jos Verstappen really gives a flying F about her well being?

Waitaminute? There appears to be a case of sexual harrassment, but it 'would probably be fine' if someone else would just quit talking about it?
The charges were dismissed, so as far as Red Bull is concerned, that's the of end it. Everybody go back to work, including Jos.
Does that come under 'sweeping under the rug' or 'shooting the messenger'.
Jos could very well blown up Max' ride at Red Bull, so even Jos too would be better off if he just let it go.

Red Bull has done everything that could possibly been expected from them.
RB has badly mismanaged this.
Not Red Bull the team, but the parent company. Just wait and see how this works out. This is a power struggle in the wake of Mateschitz' death.

As far as Horner and Jos, it's quite possible this was two guys fighting over a girl.

The charges were dismissed
Cause that always means their innocent.:rolleyes: I'm far more inclined to believe her than a bunch of power players who want to sweep things under the rug and that you seem more than willing to let happen, as you have dismissed valid concerns about behavior towards women multiple times.

Cause that always means their innocent.:rolleyes:
What more would you have Red Bull do other than fire a guy who was exonerated by their own investigation?
I'm far more inclined to believe her than a bunch of power players who want to sweep things under the rug. and that you seem more than willing to let happen, as you have dismissed valid concerns about behavior towards women multiple times.
Why would you believe anything before there's any proof on the table? I'm willing to let the process play out. Let's not pronounce people guilty until a court of law says they are. If that happens it's an entirely different matter.

I'm not sure what it says about me or the series, that I find the off-track shenanigans more entertaining than the actual racing. It may lump me with people who watch pro rasslin' for the interviews.

I'm not sure what it says about me or the series, that I find the off-track shenanigans more entertaining than the actual racing. It may lump me with people who watch pro rasslin' for the interviews.
In fairness, the racing hasn't been very good for a couple of years now.

The racing at the front has not been that good, but the mid and back field battles have been pretty entertaining.
It's been OK at times, but we've also had new terms cooked up to describe the events on track like "DRS trains". This is not a golden era for F1 regardless of the money flowing into it and the attention it's getting.

It's been OK at times, but we've also had new terms cooked up to describe the events on track like "DRS trains". This is not a golden era for F1 regardless of the money flowing into it and the attention it's getting.
You have to go a log way back to find a time when one team was not dominating......2009 or so. Before that we had Schumacher domination, Prost/Senna Mclaren domination, Williams Honda domination and......you get the idea. If you're going to watch F1 you have to accept you're not going to see a cracking battle for the win. You have to look for other things like the midfield and back marker fights because now days Max is simply going to disappear when the lights go out, and it looks like Checo is going to go with him.

That's just how F1 has been for the last 30 years. If you only look at the lead battle you're going to be disappointed, so to remain an F1 fan. you have to look for what's going on behind that and hope someone steps up to challenge. It does not look likely this year, so all you can do is hang on and wait for things to improve. Being a sportscar fan, I'm used to that.

Yeah, it's embarrassing and boring to see one team lay such a thumping on everyone, but it's gone on so many times before it's almost normal. Admittedly though, Red Bull has redefined what a beatdown is.

You have to go a log way back to find a time when one team was not dominating......2009 or so. Before that we had Schumacher domination, Prost/Senna Mclaren domination, Williams Honda domination and......you get the idea. If you're going to watch F1 you have to accept you're not going to see a cracking battle for the win. You have to look for other things like the midfield and back marker fights because now days Max is simply going to disappear when the lights go out, and it looks like Checo is going to go with him.

That's just how F1 has been for the last 30 years. If you only look at the lead battle you're going to be disappointed, so to remain an F1 fan. you have to look for what's going on behind that and hope someone steps up to challenge. It does not look likely this year, so all you can do is hang on and wait for things to improve. Being a sportscar fan, I'm used to that.

Yeah, it's embarrassing and boring to see one team lay such a thumping on everyone, but it's gone on so many times before it's almost normal. Admittedly though, Red Bull has redefined what a beatdown is.
Again, I understand that there's been many seasons with a dominant team. I've been watching since I was a pup in the 80s! But I also don't recall a period of time in history when F1 cars were completely unable to pass each other at Spa regardless of being at the front, middle, or back of the field. Definitely can't recall a period of time where everyone was between 0.6 and 0.8 seconds from each other in a line at Spa lap after lap after lap for that matter. I'm just using Spa as an example because, well, it's Spa, it's a track we all know is low downforce and has produced fantastic racing for literally generations now.

But I also don't recall a period of time in history when F1 cars were completely unable to pass each other at Spa regardless of being at the front, middle, or back of the field.
The FIA left too many loopholes in the regulations and the teams clawed back a lot of downforce and created a lot of turbulence. When the new cars came out they were very racy, but they have gotten too turbulent again.

I haven't watched any races for the past year or so. I just check the results after the race is over There is no point in watching when you know one driver will win all of the races. F1 should be embarrassed to call itself the top motorsport in the world. There is better racing at my local go cart track.

I haven't watched any races for the past year or so. I just check the results after the race is over There is no point in watching when you know one driver will win all of the races. F1 should be embarrassed to call itself the top motorsport in the world. There is better racing at my local go cart track.
You just have to readjust your sights. The racing at the front is not very good, but behind the Red Bulls it's pretty intense. Years from now Red Bull's accomplishments will be legendary, so I don't want to miss out seeing that kind of history. I'de love a good battle for the win, but since that doesn't look likely, I watch for other things like who is succeeding or failing in the mid and back fields. Let's be honest: Everything behind Red Bull is midfield, so adjust your sights to that and you can avoid some disappointment. Nowadays I keep my eyes on the third place battle because 1, 2 is locked up.

We've been through year after year of domination by someone for the last 30-35 years, so it's the kind of thing you get used to and appreciate the greatness, or you turn it off. I've found it helpful to turn my brain off once Max has set sail and just enjoy watch the cars and whatever midfield action they show us.

A friend also hooked me up with an F1.com account, so I can't bail now!

We get it Ralf. Everyone on the grid sucks and should roll over and die so Mick can get a drive.

How can one person be so consistently be so wrong every time?

I don't think there is a lot you can do about one guy just being massively better than everyone else - both on the driver's side and on the engineering side. The problem is that the best driver of the current era and the best engineer of the last 35 years are on the same team.
I absolutely wouldn't mind Max going to Mercedes because it sure would shake things up a bit - as long as he doesn't take Newey with him.

I saw some screenshots of what qualifying gaps looked like during the early years of the turbo hybrid era and it was jarring to remember how quick the Mercedes were at the time - much, much bigger gaps at the front of the field than there are now, and the back of the field usually had one or two wanker entries (Caterham, Marussia, etc.) that wouldn’t ever be close to competitive. In that sense, the grid now is a lot more compact than it had been maybe ever. But reliability is so strong nowadays you rarely see power unit failures, and there’s little to no prospect of Max and Checo taking each other out like a Prost/Senna or Rosberg/Hamilton. F1 badly needs another unhinged race or two just to shake things up and keep things interesting for a time. Too many of these races play out too straightforward right now.

Back
Top Bottom