Fontana RACE thread

Yeah Johnson, Gordon, blah blah. They were only two out of about 10 that got screwed out of a good finish because of blown tires and parts failure..At least fix the bumps, this isn't a 4wd truck race, they are running over 200 mph.

yeah I hear ya, Indy was worse though IMO, but I think this race is second
Not close in my opinion......Indy was a joke because they were throwing mandatory cautions every 10 laps.

At least NASCAR wasn't throwing mandatory cautions today and teams could ALMOST go a full fuel run.......and I think the teams that were running overly aggressive setups were the ones being hurt. It was a lot of the same teams having issues - Penske cars, Stewart-Haas cars had a lot of issues this whole weekend. Truex Jr. and Ambrose had a ton of issues.

But I agree it was a little ridiculous and I'm sure NASCAR and Goodyear will probably do something next time they come to Fontana.

Overall was an entertaining race....but those tire things ALWAYS seem to leave an asterisk beside of the races that they impact....they really need to get that deal figured out.

As a Gordon fan, of course I am not thrilled with the end...but I was very happy to see Larson get in there and mix it up at the end....woudla loved to seen the kid sweep Cali....

I try not to get into the "network bashing" stuff...but Fox was HORRIBLE today...EVERY TIME there was a battle for the lead...we had to go to commercial...and DW...man, make up your mind! He talks out of both sides of his mouth NON STOP!
Meh. I mean I like Larson and think he's a great talent but as a huge 24 fan, I could honestly care less when I'm watching the race what Kyle Larson is doing. Particularly at the end of the race when things go from a victory to a very sour end.

Gorbin and Johnsin had rockets today but like they say, Speed Kills.
Or cautions in Gordon's case.

Looking forward to Martinsville. I hate to sound like a complainer but double-file restarts have really changed that race. Lining up on the outside for a late race restart can be the difference between winning and losing.

Or cautions in Gordon's case.

Looking forward to Martinsville. I hate to sound like a complainer but double-file restarts have really changed that race. Lining up on the outside for a late race restart can be the difference between winning and losing.

Something was happening before that, I thought someone in the thread said he had a vibration?????

Something was happening before that, I thought someone in the thread said he had a vibration?????
He did report a vibration but was still running competitive times and had a big lead with 5 to go. He was able to slow his pace down just to baby it to the end. Would've won without caution.

I'm not sure what the vibration was - if they didn't get the nuts tight, or maybe it was a tire issue. I don't know.

He did report a vibration but was still running competitive times and had a big lead with 5 to go. He was able to slow his pace down just to baby it to the end. Would've won without caution.

I'm not sure what the vibration was - if they didn't get the nuts tight, or maybe it was a tire issue. I don't know.
Blistered tire perhaps????

Has FOX issued an apology for Michael Waltrip's offensive stupidity yet?
lol figured somebody would get offended by this.......Michael Waltrip was singing a Donna Summers song and said love your music to some fan on pit road who resembled Donna Sommers.

I don't know if Michael knew that Donna Summers died two years ago.......I don't think Michael meant anything by it, but I think Michael is pretty hilarious and that live pit road thing is pretty darn funny.

People constantly hating on TV coverage gets old. FOX provides the best and most entertaining broadcasts.

More than likely as the laps wind down a driver's ears will hear things they hadnt heard the whole race and they report it just for the sake of it.

More than likely as the laps wind down a driver's ears will hear things they hadnt heard the whole race and they report it just for the sake of it.
It was affecting his lap times when he was racing Johnson, so something was off with the car.

Jeff Gordon has been doing this awhile. I'd trust what he says.

I don't think Jeff was in a mood to talk. He didn't day a word on the radio after the race. After scanning Jeff Gordon for 300+ races I can say with certainty that he had nothing good to say and needed time to settle down.

I wish more drivers would practice the same wisdom. Sometimes a man deserves a little space.

Blistered tire perhaps????
I'm really curious to know.....it's so frustrating being a fan, because I'm not sure if we'll ever get an answer.

If the nuts weren't tightened he probably would've felt it much earlier in the run, so I don't think it was that. Likely some sort of tire issue.

Gordon got screwed by these Goodyear tires that only last 20 laps. He lost positions on pit road by taking 4 tires instead of 2 and his car does not get up to speed until 10 or so laps anyhow. The GWC is the last thing Gordon needed to see and it happened. He was in 7th with a long run car on the GWC - no way he was gonna win even with a perfect restart.

I have never cared for the GWCs for this reason. In many cases they totally rewrite or distort the outcome.
I think folks know I am not on the Gordon bandwagon, but he was the class of the field today.

But that doesn't mean enough in todays Nascar they prefer yellow resets over real racing.

I have never cared for the GWCs for this reason. In many cases they totally rewrite or distort the outcome.
I think folks know I am not on the Gordon bandwagon, but he was the class of the field today.

But that doesn't mean enough in todays Nascar they prefer yellow resets over real racing.

Exactly. He lost that race three phuck ing times.

I used to love double file restarts, as time goes on it just seems like an unneccesary clusterf***, combine that with the GWC it's just ridiculous most occasions.

God if it finished under caution I would have been one happy mother*****.

It makes me think back to how GWC would've affected the 1998 Daytona 500 or so many other races in the past.

I think for racing "purists" like myself - I don't really think GWC are always the most fair, but it's for the fans. Same thing goes for double file restarts and the Chase.

But at the end of the day, the rules are what the rules are and it doesn't do anyone any good to complain or be negative about it. Sometimes it might go against you, sometimes it might work in your favor.

But, one of the best drivers did.;)
Yep. I don't think anyone would dispute Kyle Busch's talent, but this race has really played into his favor at the very end the last two years. He didn't have a race-winning car but circumstances played into his favor. His crew did a great job on that last stop getting him out 1st car with 4 fresh tires. That was big.

But on long runs, Busch seemed like he was somewhere around a 5th, 6th, 7th place car. Gordon blew past him I don't know how many times today.

Yep. I don't think anyone would dispute Kyle Busch's talent, but this race has really played into his favor at the very end the last two years. He didn't have a race-winning car but circumstances played into his favor. His crew did a great job on that last stop getting him out 1st car with 4 fresh tires. That was big.

But on long runs, Busch seemed like he was somewhere around a 5th, 6th, 7th place car. Gordon blew past him I don't know how many times today.

11.8 seconds ------------------ his boys did good

Every week some dimwit NASCAR employee is messing up.

Bunch of amateurs.
Things happen - I don't blame NASCAR for that. But they need to admit their mistakes and right their wrongs when stuff happens. It cost Bowyer and Gordon a lot. And it cost Keselowski a ton because I believe that's why they stayed out (rather than coming back in like Bowyer and Gordon).

I think NASCAR caught a break when it rained at Bristol last week because Edwards deserved to win and if anything happened that prevented Edwards from winning because of that BS caution - that would've been a huge controversy.

**** him. **** him right in the face.
Gordon passed Busch like Busch passed Cassill yesterday more than a couple times.

11.8 seconds ------------------ his boys did good
I agree. Better than my 24 guys did. Think the 24 crew had a 12.9 second stop. Amazing we're in an era now where 12.9 is slow.

It could've just as easily been the 24 in victory lane today. There's a lot of things out of your control in racing.

**** him. **** him right in the face.
At least it wasn't Jimmie Johnson. I was really upset when Gordon got that vibration and all of a sudden Johnson stretches it to a 2+ second lead and looked to be cruising to a win. Tons of emotions in the final laps today.

At least it wasn't Jimmie Johnson. I was really upset when Gordon got that vibration and all of a sudden Johnson stretches it to a 2+ second lead and looked to be cruising to a win. Tons of emotions in the final laps today.

After that 2 and a half seconds johnson had trouble and we were cruising! Sunovabitch!! This ones gonna take awhile to get over.

Edit I agree though, highs to lows to highs to lows to HIGHS to ****.

I agree. Better than my 24 guys did. Think the 24 crew had a 12.9 second stop. Amazing we're in an era now where 12.9 is slow.

It could've just as easily been the 24 in victory lane today. There's a lot of things out of your control in racing.

I guess thats what makes this stuff so exciting, I had written my driver off for the win and bam there it is. Lots of times the 18 crew are heros, lots of times they arent, today was a hero day :)

After that 2 and a half seconds johnson had trouble and we were cruising! Sunovabitch!! This ones gonna take awhile to get over.

Edit I agree though, highs to lows to highs to lows to HIGHS to ****.

Sorry DUN24, been there and done that, it really does suck. I believe the 24 is above average at Martinsville, next week might be better ;)

zAgR6np.png

Gordon had a great car today, but had JJ not blown a tire he would have probably won. The caution would have surely come out with a few laps to go as it did and the 48 car would have pulled off to a massive lead like he did several times near the end.

JJ wins.

Gordon had a great car today, but had JJ not blown a tire he would have probably won. The caution would have surely come out with a few laps to go as it did and the 48 car would have pulled of to a massive lead like he did several times near the end.

JJ wins.
Gordon had a vibration on that last long run. That allowed the 48 to open a 2+ sec on lead and (seemingly) cruise to a victory after Gordon was hounding him (and had been hounding him all day on long runs). So you can call it both ways.

Who the hell knows what's going to happen on a GWC. Especially in today's race given the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom