Format changes for the Clash

If the heats were Sunday, Bubba still wouldn't be in the main. But I'm sure watching him lose that ten-lap heat will make you feel warm and fuzzy while you leave early and walk back to that expensive parking space.

But at least they get to see him compete. That means something.

I also don’t think they’re leaving early if he loses. You can be a fan but be disappointed that you bought tickets to see your guy but he isn’t there.

Imagine the reaction if Chase Elliott misses the main…

But at least they get to see him compete. That means something.

I also don’t think they’re leaving early if he loses. You can be a fan but be disappointed that you bought tickets to see your guy but he isn’t there.

Imagine the reaction if Chase Elliott misses the main…
They are having a LCQ race.
1705544139882.png

1705544200186.png

They'll get to see those drivers anyway. I'd forgotten the 75-lap Last Chance race is on Sunday. If you really want to watch a single driver, you WANT him to lose on Saturday so that on Sunday, you can get to watch 75 more laps than if he'd won his heat.

I tuned into the inaugural LA clash but I didn’t enjoy it so I didn’t watch last year.
I seriously doubt I'll watch it.

I get it. I watched the LA Clash the first year but I didn’t care for it so I didn’t watch last year. I’m happy for all the people that are looking forward to it though.

If they lost heats on Sunday, Bubba annd Daniel still wouldn't be in the main. But I'm sure watching them lose that ten-lap heat will make you feel warm and fuzzy while you leave early and walk back to that expensive parking space. Hopefully they lost in the first heat so you didn't have to sit through the other three you didn't care about.

Me, I loved it when Gordon or Jr. were out early. You dedicated fans leaving early made it easier for the rest of us at the end of the race.

You should have seen it when Dale had to retire from competition. It was like rats leaving a sinking ship!

I tuned into the inaugural LA clash but I didn’t enjoy it so I didn’t watch last year.

I get it. I watched the LA Clash the first year but I didn’t care for it so I didn’t watch last year. I’m happy for all the people that are looking forward to it though.

The problem is the car, not the track.

I'd like the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to be a permanent track on the schedule myself.

The problem is the car, not the track.

I'd like the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to be a permanent track on the schedule myself.

This. Make it a 400-500 lap regular season race with a 28 car field, heats/LCQ the day before with fans, & a better car and you could have another Martinsville / Bristol Madhouse with tempers flaring.

After the failure of Bristol Dirt and to a lesser extent the Indy RC, I doubt NASCAR is going to keep trying these massive changes. JMO. Especially if the Chicago street race ends up being done after this year. If that happens they'll be 0-for-3 with trying to boost ratings/attendance/race quality at these oddball events. I like LA as a non-points race. Switching things up to make it a points paying race would result in some kind of controversy (whether that be keeping the field small, using heats, having the track be of a size banned from Cup competition for over 50 years, etc). NASCAR does not need any more controversy regarding tracks/races.

After the failure of Bristol Dirt and to a lesser extent the Indy RC, I doubt NASCAR is going to keep trying these massive changes. JMO. Especially if the Chicago street race ends up being done after this year. If that happens they'll be 0-for-3 with trying to boost ratings/attendance/race quality at these oddball events. I like LA as a non-points race. Switching things up to make it a points paying race would result in some kind of controversy (whether that be keeping the field small, using heats, having the track be of a size banned from Cup competition for over 50 years, etc). NASCAR does not need any more controversy regarding tracks/races.

Was Bristol Dirt a failure? I don’t think so. I thinks they are making a mistake leaving the dirt race.

NASCAR has already cut the field for the Eldora Truck race & it was the best race on the schedule.

Chicago Street produced over 5 million viewers for NASCAR, hopefully so they can move back to Chicagoland.

I would keep a better watch on the ratings or work more diligently on your deathbedding skills. None of these you listed were failures of any type. Despite torrential rains off and on all weekend, Chi town had great ratings considering and fans are still talking about SVG's win.
The Clash race is an exhibition race for FUN. Name me any other sport where these guys are not going to be pulling any punches and racing their guts out for the FUN of it for our enjoyment.

Ya seem to have Wallace on the brain. I do get where you are coming from. It's tough you can't fly your stars and bars anymore.
That’s quite an assumption to make about me, maybe a projection of yourself. I live in New York and I have nothing against Bubba. I’m glad I don’t have to see that stupid loser’s flag anymore at the track. It’s a well known fact that the banning of that flag gained NASCAR a lot of fans. Casual and die-hard.

I would keep a better watch on the ratings or work more diligently on your deathbedding skills. None of these you listed were failures of any type. Despite torrential rains off and on all weekend, Chi town had great ratings considering and fans are still talking about SVG's win.
The Clash race is an exhibition race for FUN. Name me any other sport where these guys are not going to be pulling any punches and racing their guts out for the FUN of it for our enjoyment.

Bristol dirt was a decent race but did nothing for attendance and was not worth the massive expense of adding/removing the dirt each year.
Yes Chicago was a good race but it's looking likely that it will not be happening for much longer unless the city drastically shakes up its politics.
The Indy RC also did nothing for attendance or ratings compared to the oval.
I like the Clash as it is. I do not want it to change much from what it currently is and my post was to disagree with @AndyMarquisLive and @racingfan7

The deathbedder stuff is nonsense. That can't be your rebuttal every time someone has an ounce of criticism about the sport.

Bristol dirt was a decent race but did nothing for attendance and was not worth the massive expense of adding/removing the dirt each year.
Yes Chicago was a good race but it's looking likely that it will not be happening for much longer unless the city drastically shakes up its politics.
I like the Clash as it is. I do not want it to change much from what it currently is and my post was to disagree with @AndyMarquisLive and @racingfan7

The deathbedder stuff is nonsense. That can't be your rebuttal every time someone has an ounce of criticism about the sport.

Bristol Dirt race attendance in 2023 was much better than the concrete in 2019. Chicago wasn’t a very good race and the ultimate goal should be going back to Chicagoland, but had good attendance & ratings which is what matters. The street race concept can work in many areas.

Indy RC should have never been a thing.

You have no proof of anything. Your way of judging anything seems to be unless they somehow get miracle attendance they are a failure and that is nonsense. Chicago has a contract. They are already selling tickets to Chicago Bud. It's on the schedule right after July 4th. :cuckoo: Ya need better research for deathbedding.

Once the Chicago Street race is done, they need to go back to Chicagoland. Going back to Road America also needs to be a goal.

I think NASCAR needs to keep going with street races. Would be cool to have it in different cities each year.

I REALLY hope the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum stays, whether it's for an exhibition or for a points race. The only thing I don't like about it being a preseason exhibition is how much it's taking away from the Daytona 500. But, again, that falls more on Fox Sports than anyone else. Fox hasn't cared about the Daytona 500 for several years anyway.

Once the Chicago Street race is done, they need to go back to Chicagoland. Going back to Road America also needs to be a goal.

I think NASCAR needs to keep going with street races. Would be cool to have it in different cities each year.

I REALLY hope the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum stays, whether it's for an exhibition or for a points race. The only thing I don't like about it being a preseason exhibition is how much it's taking away from the Daytona 500. But, again, that falls more on Fox Sports than anyone else. Fox hasn't cared about the Daytona 500 for several years anyway.
Yeah, it's only their largest money maker. lol. :cuckoo:

Bristol Dirt race attendance in 2023 was much better than the concrete in 2019. Chicago wasn’t a very good race and the ultimate goal should be going back to Chicagoland, but had good attendance & ratings which is what matters. The street race concept can work in many areas.

Indy RC should have never been a thing.
I thought Chicago was a really good race actually. A lot better than everyone expected it to be. You had the track blocking wreck clown moment and Noah Gragson being married to the barrier but other than that it was pretty entertaining. I’m excited to see that race with better weather and better prepared drivers.

I thought Chicago was a really good race actually. A lot better than everyone expected it to be. You had the track blocking wreck clown moment and Noah Gragson being married to the barrier but other than that it was pretty entertaining. I’m excited to see that race with better weather and better prepared drivers.

Was a good race but it’s kinda ****blocking a possible Denver/NYC/Seattle/Nawlins race.

I believe they signed a three year contract for Chicago? I doubt they will have more than one street race a season.

I believe it is a 3 year deal I think with the way the Gen7 races it would make sense to try Chicagoland again.

Make it a 400-500 lap regular season race with a 28 car field,
I don't care what NASCAR does in exhibition races. I don't want a points race that lacks a full 36- to 40-car field and has no chance of competitive green-flag pit stops. Save those 'competition cautions' for the truck series.

I don't care what NASCAR does in exhibition races. I don't want a points race that lacks a full 36- to 40-car field and has no chance of competitive green-flag pit stops. Save those 'competition cautions' for the truck series.

The competition cautions have been in the Cup series since 2017 & the Eldora Truck races “lacked” a full field and they were some of the best races on the schedule in the 2010s- 36-40 cars would still show up as required by the charter system.

NASCAR would be smart to run the Heats early & have star drivers like William Byron, Noah Gragson, Erik Jones, Ryan Preece or Carson Hocevar show up and help promote short track racing for the 25K-to win All-Star Showdown @ Irwindale.

The heats are in no way going to pull in any kind of a large crowd, I don't see why there isn't free admission myself. Concessions open and so are the Merch trailers.
Just a thought? Didn't they have to block off some streets? Maybe they couldn't get that handled for Saturday?
Thanks Nascar lol. :headbang:

The competition cautions have been in the Cup series since 2017 & the Eldora Truck races “lacked” a full field and they were some of the best races on the schedule in the 2010s- 36-40 cars would still show up as required by the charter system.
I didn't like the Eldora format and didn't watch after the first one.

I don't like the stage breaks but at least the third stage at the Cup level is long enough to offer at least a chance of a green flag pit cycle. How many show up isn't the same thing as how many are on track at the same time. I want to see all of them out there together.

You have your preferences, I have mine.

Back
Top Bottom