Gen 7 Cup Car

Arca qualified Daytona pole at 185.533, Cup @195.644. you got a better eye than me. Maybe at the track? But I couldn't tell sitting at home. I have watched boatload of truck races on buck an a halfs, they look pretty fast, sometimes faster that cup cars look when they are side by side. One of the big reasons there is more passing in the trucks is because they punch such a big hole in the air
When those cars are in a pack at Daytona you can absolutely tell the difference in person. They crawl compared to cup cars. Of course at home you can't tell because you have no real point of reference to gage the speed.

@FLRacingFan or @Johali could maybe back me up on this, I've been going there a long time and it's always been obvious to me, but I'm just one person.

When those cars are in a pack at Daytona you can absolutely tell the difference in person. They crawl compared to cup cars. Of course at home you can't tell because you have no real point of reference to gage the speed.

@FLRacingFan or @Johali could maybe back me up on this, I've been going there a long time and it's always been obvious to me, but I'm just one person.
I think Trucks are even a little slower than ARCA, and seeing them on track on the same day as Cup, you can tell there's a performance gap. Especially as they pack up and then Cup is running around at 200 MPH.

Or even just watching on TV at a place like Michigan, there's about a 10 MPH difference between each national series - Cup around 200-205, Truck down around 180-185. That was hella noticeable last year watching Bubba win with a bunch of other guys in formation behind him, when in Cup they're just bombing it in there. Watch Gordon's insane pole lap there a few years ago and say you can't tell they're going quick as hell.

Btw - immediate post-repave Atlanta that gave us classics like Labonte/Earnhardt and Harvick/Gordon had guys qualifying north of what they're doing now. Harvick got pole around 184 this year. You had to go over 191 to get pole at Atlanta after the reconfig. until 2008.

Less about speed, more about how the cars are designed to race each other and how they generate speed.

It isn't top speeds or average lap speeds that are particularly important to good racing. It is speed differential, the gap between the top speed and speed that can be maintained through the turns. I'll keep my language really blunt and direct so as not to muck it up with nuance. Racing in which the straightaway and corner speeds are essentially the same sucks.

Lots of good comments in this thread. As FLracingfan said, the difference in speed is absolutely discernible at Michigan. Maybe it’s just me but I really like this car and setup we currently run with, it’s made for some really good racing the last few seasons. Just watching Texas it was nice to have that edge of your seat feeling again not knowing whether someone was going to lose the car because it’s so on edge. That’s what makes racing great

I think our only thing to figure out is how to create the similar “punch” in the air that the trucks have. It stinks watching just about any form of open wheel and seeing a great car held up by turbulence, having that in NASCAR really sucks as the sport is all about wild passing

If it means deeper braking zones, more throttle management through the corners, being more on the ragged edge in the corners, yeah. Does low-speed, WFO mean good racing?
But is it the drivers controlling the car or the engineers today. I gave up on F1 because it is all engineering. I don't want to see Nascar go that way. Remove some down force and side force and see how the drivers react.

It's like night and day to me. They just seem and sound a lot slower in person at the plate tracks. But racing is racing. :D

Call up your favorite race team and tell them you think it would be a good idea for them to stop trying to go faster.

Brian France may or may not want higher speeds. It doesn’t matter because it has nothing to do with him.

Back
Top Bottom