Hamlin fined for comments

Maybe he didn't completely ***** out?

After a lot of thought I have decided not to appeal the fine NASCAR has issued. Dragging myself, my team and NASCAR through the mud for the next 2 weeks would not be good for anyone. I firmly believe I am in the right on this issue and will stand behind my decision not to pay. I understand NASCAR will do what they feel is necessary based on my decision. Thanks to all of my fans and peers who have supported me in this decision. I look forward to putting it to rest.

Wait, so is that an actual quote from Denny? So he not appealing and not paying? Did Nascar just drop the fine, but in the end make it look like Denny paid it? Maybe Denny isn't appealing because there is nothing to appeal?

EDIT: from jayski:

AND Section 12-3 of the NASCAR rule book allows NASCAR to collect fines from the driver points fund and/or race purse winnings.(3-14-2013)

Hamlin drops appeal of fine: #11-Denny Hamlin tweeted Thursday afternoon, "After a lot of thought I have decided not to appeal the fine NASCAR has issued. Dragging myself, my team and NASCAR through the mud for the next 2 weeks would not be good for anyone. I firmly believe I am in the right on this issue and will stand behind my decision not to pay. I understand NASCAR will do what they feel is necessary based on my decision. Thanks to all of my fans and peers who have supported me in this decision. I look forward to putting it to rest."
AND NASCAR announced today that the $25,000 fine assessed to driver Denny Hamlin on March 7 will be settled per Section 12-3 of the 2013 NASCAR rule book after being informed by Hamlin that he will not appeal the penalty. Hamlin was fined after the sanctioning body determined he had violated Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing). NASCAR considers this matter closed.(NASCAR)
AND Section 12-3 of the NASCAR rule book allows NASCAR to collect fines from the driver points fund and/or race purse winnings.(3-14-2013)

Wait, so is that an actual quote from Denny? So he not appealing and not paying? Did Nascar just drop the fine, but in the end make it look like Denny paid it? Maybe Denny isn't appealing because there is nothing to appeal?

Denny makes comment.
NASCAR fines Denny.
Denny say he's not paying and will appeal.
Denny drops appeal, but still refuses to pay.
NASCAR deducts the $25k fine from Denny's winnings.

Denny will pay without personally paying.

My feelings remain unchanged on Nascars handling of the issue . But I am not blaming Hamlin for settling up. You have to pick your battles wisely. You can't beat city hall or Nascar and they do have the best game in town in spite of matters.

Denny is making a good living and it just aint worth sacrificing it over $25,000. We also dont always get the whole story. Fedex may have wanted closure and provided negative or postive incentive to put matters to rest, who knows?

Hamlin is also a new dad, he might just have wisly figured his littles girls future will be greatly assisted by dad earning millions a year, and keeping it secure.
I think his first responsibility is to her, and not our whims or ideas on how to manage his career.

Denny isnt my favorite, but regarding this case he is a Just man in my book.

Nobody expected Hamlin to pay up and say he was wrong and going to pay but most everybody knew he was going to pay one way or another and he is paying the fine by not appealing, word games.

I did not edit my post period. The post is and was as I typed it and meant it.

My apologies, I wish I had stayed out of this exchange.I hope we can bury the hatchet. I do enjoy reading your post.

Peace.

Its a shame Hamlin has decided not to take on nascar. I guess they are too big to fight after all in the grand scheme of things if you are a driver. And lets face it, 25k is chump change to a driver.

I'm sure FedEx doesn't want their driver fighting city hall all season making these kinds of headlines and NASCAR is probably glad somebody took the spotlight away from Jeremy Clements.

in a sense, Hamlin has said that he now realizes that, in the present day world of NASCAR, there is a monetary cost to speaking your mind and he is OK with that

be interesting to see if he continues calling things as he sees them, regardless of how much it ends up costing him

in a sense, Hamlin has said that he now realizes that, in the present day world of NASCAR, there is a monetary cost to speaking your mind and he is OK with that

be interesting to see if he continues calling things as he sees them, regardless of how much it ends up costing him
What is Brad or Tony said something? Then what? Gonna fine the defending champ and 2-year-ago champ, nascar? Knowing Tony, he'd use Rusty's penny trick from 1997.

I am 100% with Hamlin on this. I think it is good that he s standing up for himself. Choosing not to appeal but still not pay is still standing up for himself. If he appeals, like he said, it will be a drawn out process and in the end, NASCAR is going to have final say anyway. So realistically not much would get accomplished. Theres not exactly a great ratio of drivers winning NASCAR appeals.
Im glad that we do have drivers that will speak their minds though. Earnhardt did it, Stewart does it, Keselowski does it, Kyle Busch does it. I think its good.

I never was a Big E fan but the sport badly needs a guy like him right now. He is one of those guys that nascar would not be able to bull doze over and the fans would have a hissy fit too.

Exactly. And NASCAR, at least historically, has been the sport that had prided itself on being different than the other mainstream sports. But in recent years it seems they are trying to be more like those mainstream sports and become very similar in structure. The Chase, for example was made to be the NASCAR version of the playoffs. NASCAR has done very well with having good access to drivers and doing very extensive coverage of pre and post race events and interviews. But what is the point of an interview when NASCAR only wants you to say certain things? I understand public image and I understand that NASCAR is a business, but what has made NASCAR what it is today, is the fact that drivers are individuals with personalities. You could probably even argue that what really got NASCAR on the map in the first place was that fist fight during the first televised Daytona 500 back in 79 with Cale and Donnie, since it got so much tv ratings and hype over it. A lot of people think going around in circles is boring. If you take away conflict, controversy, and individuality, then it gets extremely bland, especially for those who only have a mild interest in it.

Nascar has been making threats since 2001. In drivers meetings, Nascar briefing spokesman has warned all drivers and crews to watch what they say about certain things like "If you think someone is cheating, keep it to yourself or you will pay the consequences" "We will make the decisions and you have little or no voice in the outcome" "This is Nascar and will be run the way we intend to run it and if you don't like it then find you another job".............In other words Nascar will do whatever and however they feel necessary to CONTROL racing. Many people say that Nascar will not tolerate cheating, well I got news for you...They have rules right now that can control the outcome by 90%. Nascar is not racing any more, it's more like liberal Democrats, they suck in my opinion..

Nascar has been making threats since 2001. In drivers meetings, Nascar briefing spokesman has warned all drivers and crews to watch what they say about certain things like "If you think someone is cheating, keep it to yourself or you will pay the consequences" "We will make the decisions and you have little or no voice in the outcome" "This is Nascar and will be run the way we intend to run it and if you don't like it then find you another job".............In other words Nascar will do whatever and however they feel necessary to CONTROL racing. Many people say that Nascar will not tolerate cheating, well I got news for you...They have rules right now that can control the outcome by 90%. Nascar is not racing any more, it's more like liberal Democrats, they suck in my opinion..
Any thoughts as to why they started this in 2001?

Any thoughts as to why they started this in 2001?

After Earnhardt's death in 2001, Nascar decided to take the reigns and control every thing they possibly could to draw fans and keep fans coming. When Mike Helton was elected in Nov of 2000, he said he was not making new rules and changing the way Nascar was going but, after Sr's death he has made 36 new or different rules that has changed Nascar racing to what appears to be PC Nascar only. Sr. had many fans and it put a strain on the fan base of nascar when he passed. Sr. had a voice in Nascar and a good one at that. Take note that all the changes that has been made have led Nascar to a 90% controlled racing program and it's still happening today. Drivers have NO voice, racing sucks, rigged cars for a few drivers/teams. They are looking desperate for a new Senior but have nothing close yet. Most big wigs in nascar are pissed at the way racing is going but keep coming up with foolish decisions trying to make things where fans will participate but, so far nothing but idiot ideas have developed. The COT started the problem and has bloomed from there. All they needed to change was the safety of the drivers like new restraints, soft walls etc. Should have never taken the Manufacture look and participation away from the sport.

Your fined $15,000.00, for making instantiating and derogatory remarks about Nascar. You may PM me and I will inform you where to send your cash or money order.:D

I agree to a point about the CoT. The seat and HANS setup, along with the safer barrier have saved most of the lives since Sr's death. After Sr died, more and more drivers adopted the HANS, which requires the full seat and helmet, and nobody has been seriously injured since. The safer barrier is great, but it seems even now nascar designed the gen6 for hitting concrete. The extra heavy CoT and Gen6 actually make driver door impacts more dangerous.

After I receive money in hand then I will invite everyone on here out for a buffet dinner. I guess I will have to bring a bucket of oats and a bale of hay with me.:)

Sounds good to me. Just click on my picture logo and you can actually see dust coming from my heels....I make left turns on two legs........:partytime

Sounds good to me. Just click on my picture logo and you can actually see dust coming from my heels....I make left turns on two legs........:partytime
Well' I'm way to fat and old to chase you down so I guess you will get a free run on this one. I guess as long as you owe me I will never be broke.:D Now back to our regular scheduled program.:)

bf1_zps78ec1fe4.png

nascom.com has Bayne and JJ presser video up. I wonder if Denny video will make the cut.

Hamlin discusses dropping appeal of fine: From #11-Denny Hamlin's Friday media availability:
How do you feel about having this incident concluded?
"The biggest thing is I think that we won in the judge of the people and their opinion I think some of the peers of mine -- at least the ones that have a backbone had the nerve to stick up for what they know is right and wrong -- agreed. But what was the point in going another week or so. We've got bigger fish to fry than to argue over what I said just for $25,000 and it's better just to move on and let NASCAR get its credibility back and they're going to do that and I'm going to move on and just focus on a championship."
Is this something that Joe Gibbs helped to mediate?
"No, (Joe) Gibbs (team owner, Joe Gibbs Racing) really supported -- whatever I wanted to do, he was fine with it. Ultimately, I had some conversations with Brian France (NASCAR CEO) and we had a lot of the same ideas. And I think that in hindsight I really believe they (NASCAR) overreacted and I believe that they think they overreacted once they thought about it a little bit, but now we're at a point that we're good with each other and we're just going to move on from here."
Did you drop the appeal once you knew they wouldn't suspend you?
"I was prepared either way, honestly. They (NASCAR) are ultimately not going to want to suspend -- that would be their last resort. I was prepared to do it and I let my sponsors and everyone know that it's a possibility, so everyone was behind me to do whatever I wanted to do. But, ultimately after talking with NASCAR and (Joe) Gibbs (team owner, Joe Gibbs Racing) and everyone and really thinking about it more, it just needed to end."
Did your conversation with Brian France end with you feeling you could talk to him?
"That was the biggest complaint I had was that if I was Jeff Gordon, Tony (Stewart), Dale (Earnhardt) Jr. or any Hendrick (Motorsports) driver -- let's just say that -- they would have had a conversation with me before. Just to slap the fine on me and not tell me anything is what really, really bugged me a lot. That felt like I had not earned my place in this sport and I've grinded it out here for eight years and I really feel like I've done what it takes to earn the respect of both my peers and NASCAR and I felt like if I had been somebody else the outcome may have been different."(

With the wording of this release, trying to save face, I personally think that he is now in deeper sheet than before.

Well it's obvious, he needs to drive for Hendricks or be on a satellite team affiliated with Hendricks.

Back
Top Bottom