Hamlin tweets on how to fix the cars/attendance

NASCAR marketing knows that what they are basically selling is a Live Spectacle high speed chase with crashes and sometimes a fight. They also have a bunch of Characters on track and off, that polarize the audience and define NASCAR.

Unlike other motorsports with race stewards penalizing avoidable contact, and the Euros liking their champagne podium etiquette; NASCAR wants the messy drama of clashing cars and drivers. If only they could put a UFC fighter as the driver in the car to improve the fighting.

Themes to bond Americans to NASCAR -- is a "familiar" car, high speed chase, and road rage. Rounding out the entire package is the pursuit of the Chase and the various Cup Championships.

F1 has an advantage of leveraging nationalism in such competitions (similar to soccer) to keep the mobs interested and coming to the events. Plus, it's a point of pride for the countries to host these marquee events -- Like proud Alabamanians that were insulted by KyBu. A global NASCAR would have its own challenges.

I loved the anticipation of the Monday Night Daytona Race and enjoyed watching it. The Montoya crash was spectacular even though the delay it caused was painfully long. But even out of that, we got the Keselowski boost of social media into the NASCAR experience. In the future I would definitely like to see a few weeknight races.

So, NASCAR has plenty to work with in satisfying the evolving expectations of the American Entertainment customer. They have 36 races as well as other events at Daytona and Charlotte to experiment with, so they should definitely experiment.

Shorter races just means the same amount of commercials compared to less racing. You're kidding yourself if you think fox and nbc are going to run fewer ad breaks even if you take an hour off the race. What we'll end up with is even less of a race being shown than we already get.

~3 hours seems more appropriate than 2.5. That's right around where Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Fontana are now and those are the shortest we've had so far.

Yep, someone gets it.

I will never understand the desire for shorter races.

The crux of the battle for the future of NASCAR: what the networks want (a tighter, 2.5 hour broadcast window with plenty of calculated commercial time (post-stage yellows)) and what the fans who actually travel and buy tickets to races want (an event worth traveling hundreds of miles to to spend a Sunday or Saturday night with family, friends and fellow NASCAR junkies enjoying the atmosphere of the track and everything that goes with that (souvenir haulers, displays, concerts, etc.)

NASCAR can't have it's cake (TV money) and eat it without consuming the very essence of the sport that eventually earned them the big bucks they so desperately sought and received. NASCAR is a traveling circus type of event and coincidentally, taking place this weekend on Long Island, NY:
circus-logo1.png

upload_2017-5-16_13-49-23.jpeg

With a couple three exceptions, I haven’t spent two and a half hours watching a motorsports entertainment event in a long, long time.

The crux of the battle for the future of NASCAR: what the networks want (a tighter, 2.5 hour broadcast window with plenty of calculated commercial time (post-stage yellows)) and what the fans who actually travel and buy tickets to races want (an event worth traveling hundreds of miles to to spend a Sunday or Saturday night with family, friends and fellow NASCAR junkies enjoying the atmosphere of the track and everything that goes with that (souvenir haulers, displays, concerts, etc.)

NASCAR can't have it's cake (TV money) and eat it without consuming the very essence of the sport that eventually earned them the big bucks they so desperately sought and received. NASCAR is a traveling circus type of event and coincidentally, taking place this weekend on Long Island, NY:
circus-logo1.png

View attachment 26572
My guess would be we'll see more two-day shows and maybe qualifying earlier on the day of the race like Pocono, Martinsville, and Watkins Glen are doing. Or if the drivers are too tied up with hospitality obligations run Truck or Xfinity earlier in the day.

I've never seen what's wrong with 400 mile races. I want shorter races as in more 500 races down to 400.

I'm totally FOR shorter races. 2.5 hrs would be ideal as far as I'm concerned. I know I'm in the minority.

First they need to take some tracks second date away

My schedule changes
Get rid of the second Pocono date and make the first race 500 mules again
Kansas/Michigan should lose a date
Phoenix should only have 1 race
Make one of the Texas races
Dover should only have one race and make that race 500 miles

The tracks you add to the schedule
Iowa Speedway
Eldora Speedway
Montreal
Road America
Rockingham (the Track needs some rennovations but Rockingham just needs to be on the schedule. produces the best racing IMHO)

Next thing I wish they would do is just end the gimmicks. Go back to the 2003 points system, get rid of the stage racing and damage clock, and let their be a 43 car field again.

I do not expect Brian to do most of it, but it would make Nascar..... well Nascar again

If fan bases were given control of their respective sports to make whatever changes they wanted, there's no doubt in my mind that NASCAR would undergo more changes than the others. That's says a lot if you ask me.

Football, baseball, etc...they've all changed somewhat over the years, but none more than this sport. The cars, the rules, the points system...it's all had a negative effect. And the suits that run it are too damn dumb, stubborn, and preoccupied by their wallets to not only realize it, but fix it.

If fan bases were given control of their respective sports to make whatever changes they wanted, there's no doubt in my mind that NASCAR would undergo more changes than the others. That's says a lot if you ask me.

Football, baseball, etc...they've all changed somewhat over the years, but none more than this sport. The cars, the rules, the points system...it's all had a negative effect. And the suits that run it are too damn dumb, stubborn, and preoccupied by their wallets to not only realize it, but fix it.

Yep. We have seen more changes in the last 15 years than any time period in the sport's history. Many unnecessary changes that haven't improved the sport. And we're talking BIG changes that alter the fundamental foundation of NASCAR racing.

Imagine if basketball added a 4 point shot; if football outlawed punting and became 9 on 9 instead of 11 vs 11; if baseball pulled in the outfield walls (perfect analogy, @ToyYoda); if F1 implemented a "playoff elimination" system....etc. All of this nonsense to supposedly add "excitement" and "moments".....but at what cost?

Yep. We have seen more changes in the last 15 years than any time period in the sport's history. Many unnecessary changes that haven't improved the sport. And we're talking BIG changes that alter the fundamental foundation of NASCAR racing.

Imagine if basketball added a 4 point shot; if football outlawed punting and became 9 on 9 instead of 11 vs 11; if baseball pulled in the outfield walls (perfect analogy, @ToyYoda); if F1 implemented a "playoff elimination" system....etc. All of this nonsense to supposedly add "excitement" and "moments".....but at what cost?

To be fair

- MLB turned a blind eye to rampant steroid use because it created "excitement" and "moments." Not the same as pulling in the outfield walls but it did increase home run production.

- The NBA didn't add the three point shot until the 1979-1980 season and many at the time saw it as a gimmick.

To be fair

- MLB turned a blind eye to rampant steroid use because it created "excitement" and "moments." Not the same as pulling in the outfield walls but it did increase home run production.

- The NBA didn't add the three point shot until the 1979-1980 season and many at the time saw it as a gimmick.

I'm not saying everything should be exactly the same and never change. Sometimes minor changes turn out great. My point is that if you've got something that's proven to be good for a long time, "don't fix what ain't broke" with several dramatic changes or you'll risk ruining the integrity of the sport, and losing a large portion of your fanbase.

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2017/5/4/15539482/nascar-attendance-ratings-struggles-solutions

Hamlin tweeted his list of the three most important things he would like to see changed within the sport, while Brad Keselowski stressed it was time for the industry to collaborate and come up with fresh concepts to spur a turnaround.

1. Schedule (32 events,weeknights, 2.5 hour race length)
2. Get cars (sideskirts,quarter panels) off the ground
3. Upgrade track facilities https://t.co/ieYi5Zcclq

— Denny Hamlin (@dennyhamlin) May 2, 2017
“The sport is bigger than one person and their specific ideas,” Keselowski tweeted. “My answer: 1) Industry must work together, 2) Be bold, [and] 3) Take nothing for granted.”

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2017/5/4/15539482/nascar-attendance-ratings-struggles-solutions

Hamlin tweeted his list of the three most important things he would like to see changed within the sport, while Brad Keselowski stressed it was time for the industry to collaborate and come up with fresh concepts to spur a turnaround.

“The sport is bigger than one person and their specific ideas,” Keselowski tweeted. “My answer: 1) Industry must work together, 2) Be bold, [and] 3) Take nothing for granted.”
I think both guys are correct! It needs fixing especially with jr leaving! It needs to be multiple part and big!

Oh hell. With The Junior leavin' 'n the possibility of The Danica haulin' hiney to grow her brand in another direction, NASCAR might as well shut down.

Yep.

The bad thing is, there are people that would actually agree with that sort of change. I'm guessing though, they aren't the fans that still purchase tickets to these races.
Football,basketball and all big time sports have spent tons of money to prove that 3hrs is the ideal time for commercials and entertainment!

Anyone have a number for when one drops the commercials 'n the interviews where the drivers are asked about their favorite colors?

The racing content?

We need a track in the pacific northwest! Untapped viewers willing to go to the track!

We need a track in the pacific northwest! Untapped viewers willing to go to the track!

Does NASCAR really want to go into the Land of Eco-Hippies and fight the locals -- for the right to unnecessarily burn fuel and make deafening noise at a track that was carved out of Mother Earth?

Does NASCAR really want to go into the Land of Eco-Hippies and fight the locals -- for the right to unnecessarily burn fuel and make deafening noise at a track that was carved out of Mother Earth?
Found a new group of people to ridicule. Without reason or cause.

There are a lot of racing people in the PNW who can actually afford their preference.

Found a new group of people to ridicule. Without reason or cause.

There are a lot of racing people in the PNW who can actually afford their preference.
sure there are, but there is plenty of the new group too, that will go all out to stop it.

Ideas to fix attendance/ratings in 2020 once the contracts are up:

-Get rid of a race at Pocono, Michigan, Kansas, Charlotte fall, Dover.
-Add Gateway, Iowa, Eldora, Montreal, Road America. Doubleheader at Richmond

Revised Schedule
Ex. Clash @ Daytona
1. Daytona 500
2. Phoenix 400k
3. Las Vegas 400
4. Auto Club 400
5. Texas 400
6. Atlanta 500
7. Gateway 300
8. Bristol 500
9. Talladega 500
10. Iowa 350
11. Eldora Dirt Classic
Ex. All-Star Race @ Charlotte
12. Coca-Cola 600
13. Road America 225
14. Michigan 500
15. Kentucky 400
16. Firecracker 400
17. Martinsville 500 Weeknight Race
18. New Hampshire 301
19. Chicagoland 400 Night Race
20. Pocono 400
21. Watkins Glen 355
22. Montreal 250
23. Bristol Night Race
24. Southern 500
25. Richmond 400 Twin Race
26. Richmond 400 Twin Race
--- Round of 16 ---
27. Brickyard 400
28. Las Vegas 400
29. Dover 400
--- Round of 8 ---
30. Talladega 500
31. Sonoma 350
32. Kansas 400
--- Semi-Finals ---
33. Martinsville 500
34. Texas 400
35. Phoenix 500k
--- Championship/Finals ---
36. Homestead 500

Ideas to fix attendance/ratings in 2020 once the contracts are up:

-Get rid of a race at Pocono, Michigan, Kansas, Charlotte fall, Dover.
-Add Gateway, Iowa, Eldora, Montreal, Road America. Doubleheader at Richmond

Revised Schedule
Ex. Clash @ Daytona
1. Daytona 500
2. Phoenix 400k
3. Las Vegas 400
4. Auto Club 400
5. Texas 400
6. Atlanta 500
7. Gateway 300
8. Bristol 500
9. Talladega 500
10. Iowa 350
11. Eldora Dirt Classic
Ex. All-Star Race @ Charlotte
12. Coca-Cola 600
13. Road America 225
14. Michigan 500
15. Kentucky 400
16. Firecracker 400
17. Martinsville 500 Weeknight Race
18. New Hampshire 301
19. Chicagoland 400 Night Race
20. Pocono 400
21. Watkins Glen 355
22. Montreal 250
23. Bristol Night Race
24. Southern 500
25. Richmond 400 Twin Race
26. Richmond 400 Twin Race
--- Round of 16 ---
27. Brickyard 400
28. Las Vegas 400
29. Dover 400
--- Round of 8 ---
30. Talladega 500
31. Sonoma 350
32. Kansas 400
--- Semi-Finals ---
33. Martinsville 500
34. Texas 400
35. Phoenix 500k
--- Championship/Finals ---
36. Homestead 500
I don't know if the independent tracks (Pocono and Dover) can survive on one race alone. I also hate losing the Dover spring race even though attendance has been iffy. I love the Monster Mile.

I would love to see Texas lose a race but it seems to be 2nd or 3rd on the priority list at SMI besides Charlotte and Vegas.

Realistically I think the contenders to lose a race (which I doubt either will) is Indianapolis and a Dover race.

I would love to see Texas lose a race but it seems to be 2nd or 3rd on the priority list at SMI besides Charlotte and Vegas.

Realistically I think the contenders to lose a race (which I doubt either will) is Indianapolis and a Dover race.
Let's run the 25th Anniversary of the Brickyard 400 next year and be done with it.

Let's run the 25th Anniversary of the Brickyard 400 next year and be done with it.

I actually hope the Brickyard does well, I think it's more of an "atmosphere" type track where the racing would be better if they could find a way to make the stands at least somewhat full. Doubtful though.

I'd take a shorter race if it meant no segments and fake cautions. You could chop an hour off of each race without removing any laps.

Not all people from the left coast are fruits and nuts and pompous asses but there is good representation.

I actually hope the Brickyard does well, I think it's more of an "atmosphere" type track where the racing would be better if they could find a way to make the stands at least somewhat full. Doubtful though.

They literally can't give tickets away for the race and they used to have to hold a lottery to dole them out.

Back
Top Bottom