Has Kevin Harvick (at age 43) Lost A Step?

So much success this year.. I have a disappointing feeling that this season is going to be Kevin's final hoorah in terms of winning week in, and week out.

I know we've said this before, but I think Harvick's hill starts in 2021.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

View attachment 50606

He got very close before Martinsville, but he did not end up eclipsing 99' Dale Jarrett's avg finish.

He did however tie 2007 Jeff Gordon to the hundreth with a 7.33... tied for the lowest avg finish in the last 20 years.
Harvick's 2020 season's box score stats are nearly identical to Carl Edwards in 2008, who was 9/21/27, to Harvick's 9/20/27. If Carl won the title in 2008, that would have been a top 2-3 season since 2000. I feel that season is swept under the rug because it was during JJ's run.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

How does that % of laps run stack up to others throughout the sport's history? 99.7% is very impressive.

Saw a stat on it somewhere but couldn't find. Let's just say extremely extremely good.

Better than all 3 of the other great seasons mentioned here, for reference:

Carl.png

Jeff.png

DJ.png

Harv.png

They know what they have to do this year, have 36 perfect races. Not just 33 or 34 really good ones

If you win those first 35 races, don’t miss the setup on that last one

They know what they have to do this year, have 36 perfect races. Not just 33 or 34 really good ones

If you win those first 35 races, don’t miss the setup on that last one
Really a team only needs 6 perfect races. 1 win to make the playoffs, 4 wins to stay alive to the final race and 1 more win to claim the championship.

Really a team only needs 6 perfect races. 1 win to make the playoffs, 4 wins to stay alive to the final race and 1 more win to claim the championship.
I love and envy the simplicity of this. Not saying its bad either, I'd say this is the best way to win a championship.

There is no doubt in my mind that the # 4 team will be back in winning form very soon. That is why I wish Elliott and Bowman could take advantage of this gift the 4 team has thrown them and get a win.

There is no doubt in my mind that the # 4 team will be back in winning form very soon. That is why I wish Elliott and Bowman could take advantage of this gift the 4 team has thrown them and get a win.
I have to believe he is telling the truth. He didn't throw anybody under the bus either. The car gets better during the race, but it is too far off and it hasn't had that edge to stay in the top 5 from the first stage until the end like it usually does.

Rule changes show were teams were concentrating in their R&D. That's why rule changes hurt some teams more than others.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Limits on wind tunnel time are a great equalizer.
I think it is temporary though like Nitro was saying. Just guessing, but it sounds like they built the car to the new specs, tested in the tunnel and either didn't get any more tunnel testing or very little. Took little or bad info back to the shop and those numbers weren't very close.

I’ll guess that they’re conserving the amount of time they have left.

He mentioned aero balance about 6 times.

I think they have some bad numbers to start with, but if they were consistently bad, they can be adjusted for windage so to speak

I think it is temporary though like Nitro was saying. Just guessing, but it sounds like they built the car to the new specs, tested in the tunnel and either didn't get any more tunnel testing or very little. Took little or bad info back to the shop and those numbers weren't very close.
CRYING BABY.jpg

Eeek. Looks like it's setting up to be a down year for SHR, none of them had a particular stellar day, lot's of catching up to do.

I think they had a heck of a good day being stuck a lap down most of the day from long green flag runs and still got a top 10

Kevin is from Bakersfield.

That costs a step before you learn to walk.
I would walk about 500 steps for a delicious Zingos breakfast in Bakersfield. It is the racers hangout and we use to always stay right next door at the Holiday Inn so we could just walk to breakfast before heading out to the track. Largest and most delicious bone in ham steak, or chicken fried steak and eggs, fried potatoes, and homemade biscuit and gravy this side of the Mississippi. :dpepsi: :)

Last edited:
^ I'll pass that on to Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens.

Does Zingo's serve Poutine?

Top 5 is probably their ceiling right now. I think they had some more points in them if it weren’t for the tire issue and playing catch-up the whole race, but they’re a long ways away from having elite speed. Being a 5th- or 6th-placed car at Atlanta after how dominant they’ve been there recently is a huge drop off.

I think the changes Nascar made (about wheel openings) was because of SHR so none of their previous data is any good and they are a bit lost at the present time.

I think the changes Nascar made (about wheel openings) was because of SHR so none of their previous data is any good and they are a bit lost at the present time.
I keep reading about wheel wells, wheel openings. So what was being done with them that gained an advantage?

I keep reading about wheel wells, wheel openings. So what was being done with them that gained an advantage?
All Rodney said was that they lost a lot of downforce. Makes sense Harvick has been skating all over the track this year

All Rodney said was that they lost a lot of downforce. Makes sense Harvick has been skating all over the track this year
Rodney is crying. If you know how much you lost, why haven't you figured out how to get it back? NASCAR finally caught him without an answer....well, um, a legal one anyway.

CRYING BABY.jpg

It drives me nuts when I can't get the details on this stuff.
Yeah, and it's stupid why we can't get an answer. TV doesn't want to touch this stuff anymore because we have to have the driver stories about sirens in pool halls shoved down our throats constantly. NASCAR wants to be open about inspection with the Hawkeye and stuff, but when they find something, it is all hush, hush. Why? Probably because it will give engineers a direction? So what? Talk about this stuff. I think it is fascinating that a wheel well opening has reduced a great driver to an also ran at the moment--he isn't alone. This is part of the great story that is this awesome sport. The TV people need to quit dummying it down.

Back
Top Bottom