Hockey Season Saved

I did not realize that I made up such a significant portion of the USA audience. That's awesome! :D

Ditto dp, that means you and me make up 50% of the USA audience!

As a Devils season ticket holder I'm still not happy about having to deal with this nonsense yet again and I will be trying to sell the majority of my games for the season.

Ditto dp, that means you and me make up 50% of the USA audience!

As a Devils season ticket holder I'm still not happy about having to deal with this nonsense yet again and I will be trying to sell the majority of my games for the season.
Not only are we making up half the USA's viewing audience, we are sworn enemies as I'm a Penguins fan.

Curious, does this now mean that the post season will be longer than the actual season? It was becoming dangerously close anyhow.

Not only are we making up half the USA's viewing audience, we are sworn enemies as I'm a Penguins fan.

Curious, does this now mean that the post season will be longer than the actual season? It was becoming dangerously close anyhow.

It will be close but the regular season will still be a tad longer. I read that it's either going to be a 50 game season starting jan 15th or a 48 game season starting an 19th. I'm just hoping they announce it soon cause I usually base my work schedule around the Devils home games but it's not going to be easy now with this late of notice.

Awesome, the NHL and the players reach a deal just in time to save the NHL A LOT of money while everyone else loses out.
I guess I'm missing something here. Are you saying this is a bad thing that they are going to start what's left of the season? If they are getting back on the ice how do we continue to 'lose out'? I've already lost out on not being able to watch the sport but now it's back and that's alright by me. I can't speak for other areas but hockey is huge here in the Pittsburgh market. There are many places that have been affected by this but they will most certainly gain from them getting what's remaining of the season under way. Not only does theCONSOL Energy Center sell out for every hockey event, the local bars and restaurant's that cater to the hockey crowd will now be in full swing after a long off season. That seems like a good thing.

I guess I'm missing something here. Are you saying this is a bad thing that they are going to start what's left of the season? If they are getting back on the ice how do we continue to 'lose out'? I've already lost out on not being able to watch the sport but now it's back and that's alright by me. I can't speak for other areas but hockey is huge here in the Pittsburgh market. There are many places that have been affected by this but they will most certainly gain from them getting what's remaining of the season under way. Not only does theCONSOL Energy Center sell out for every hockey event, the local bars and restaurant's that cater to the hockey crowd will now be in full swing after a long off season. That seems like a good thing.

I'm glad hockey's back. I'm just saying I find it interesting a deal was reached in a time where everyone else (advertisers, television partners, etc.) will lose out and the league will make a ton of money. NBC sportschannel can't be happy that their crowned jewel event never happened and they still had to pay the NHL to carry it.

So we have 3/4s of American hockey fans in here then. By the way both your teams are terrible go Flyers!

The fourth is a myth. Like Bigfoot, the Tooth Fairy and Tom Cruise being straight.
Now, I've seen the show Finding Bigfoot. I know he exists. And the Tooth Fairy..... When my kids lost their teeth all of those years ago, they woke up with money under the pillow. I know I didn't put it there so the Tooth Fairy must exist. As far as your other example, I'll leave that one alone.

FLYERS!? You guys won't even get off the ground in 48 games. GO PENGUINS!!! :p

Guess I'm 4 of 4:confused:
Great. I was wondering who the fourth was. Now I know and a Penguins fan to boot, awesome. I guess that kinda makes them hockey's America's Team with 50% of the NHL fans supporting them?

I like hockey but I can skip on this season. The players and owners made it clear that they'll do just fine without "all of Canada and 4 Americans" watching them. So,
middle-finger.gif
'em.

Great. I was wondering who the fourth was. Now I know and a Penguins fan to boot, awesome. I guess that kinda makes them hockey's America's Team with 50% of the NHL fans supporting them?
I'm willing to bet most so called Penguin fans weren't fans before Sidney Criesby

I'm willing to bet most so called Penguin fans weren't fans before Sidney Criesby
Boy that's original. :rolleyes: Isn't that Andy's thing, the misspelling of names. Oh well, I can understand your jealousy. We get that a lot. I can certainly tell you one thing though, you'd lose that bet. Nice try though.

Boy that's original. :rolleyes: Isn't that Andy's thing, the misspelling of names. Oh well, I can understand your jealousy. We get that a lot. I can certainly tell you one thing though, you'd lose that bet. Nice try though.
As in the ones who live outside of the typical Pittsburgh fan area.

I have a tough time faulting kkfan. He's got plenty of things to be proud of over on the east side of the sate. For example, Philadelphia cream cheese. It's my understanding that they now have over 10+ flavors and they all taste great. The Philly Cheesesteak is yet another. It doesn't get much better than that. Then there are bells. They have a real big one there. However, they don't seem to maintain them very well. Theirs has quite the crack running up the side. They also have Rocky Balboa. By far THE BEST FIGHTER to ever enter the fictitious ring. So, as you see, there's plenty of things to be proud of coming from that side of the state.

Seriously though, a great story can be found here on that Rocky Balboa statue. Personally, I think they should have left it at the top of the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum. I think that's where it belongs.

Link to statue story.

So they're going to open camps on Sunday, and drop the puck next Saturday from what I understand. Schedules won't be out until the players ratify the CBA, but a lot of people are thinking, or at least hoping things will start with a big day of rivalry games. Penguins/Flyers and Bruins/Rangers have already been rumored. That would be best thing they could do, and make some kind of national event out of it. Every team in action, with two games on NBC (Kings banner raising being one) and two more on NBCSN. That sounds like a great way to let people in the states know the NHL is back, and make it matter. I don't know how feasible that actually is, but it would be the ideal return.

So they're going to open camps on Sunday, and drop the puck next Saturday from what I understand. Schedules won't be out until the players ratify the CBA, but a lot of people are thinking, or at least hoping things will start with a big day of rivalry games. Penguins/Flyers and Bruins/Rangers have already been rumored. That would be best thing they could do, and make some kind of national event out of it. Every team in action, with two games on NBC (Kings banner raising being one) and two more on NBCSN. That sounds like a great way to let people in the states know the NHL is back, and make it matter. I don't know how feasible that actually is, but it would be the ideal return.

I don't know how much effort NBC and NBCSN are going to put in to this hockey season. They got the worst end of the deal all the way around.

Penguins/Flyers and Bruins/Rangers have already been rumored.
Man, I hope you are correct on this.

Whaddya think of of that kkfan? Let's get this started toe to toe. That's a great way to start of our shortened season. Drop the puck!

Man, I hope you are correct on this.

Whaddya think of of that kkfan? Let's get this started toe to toe. That's a great way to start of our shortened season. Drop the puck!
Its a great way, though going to be busy traffic wise down at the Wells Fargo Center that day if the Flyers play at 3 and then the game I have tickets to Vermont vs Penn State is at 7.

So we're getting close now, and it seems to me the reception to the start of the season is a lot more positive than I expected. A lot of teams are packing their buildings for scrimmages and such, even if they practically, or literally gave away tickets, and there's a real sense of anticipation. The smaller markets are obviously the real question mark, but in the good hockey markets, I would guess by playoff time, those arenas are going to feel the same as any other season.

I got to looking at the last time they played a 48 game season (and it's too fresh in a lot of people's minds to be doing it again), if you want an idea of what can look for.

The league leaders were pretty much what would've been expected for a full season. Lindros won the Hart, Hasek won the Vezina, Bondra led in goals (bets on Stamkos getting more than 34?), etc...

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1995.html
http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1995_leaders.html

Washington's the biggest question mark. They've sold out a lot but, let's be honest, the Redskins, Nationals and Orioles haven't given the region much to cheer for. Now they have. I'd like to see the Capitals do well... I just don't care about hockey. Love watching it but I just don't care after this stunt.

The Pittsburgh market has had a huge positive response. Fans will continue to fill the Console Energy Center just as they always have here. I don't know how other hockey markets will react but the sport will thrive here in the Burgh. Drop the puck!

Philly seems pretty excited for it to be back.

Back
Top Bottom