how about this?

Well I see 1 thing you forgot. Where's the string on the front to pull it with...

I still don't think you'll ever get it off the ground. It got no wiiiings. Needs more red bull. Or at least a little paint, decals, etc.

yes. It weighs 22 pounds at last measurement. I'll paint it camo green when i'm done. Talking to the machine shop now for the motor hubs.

Shocks are placed only to check strength; will not actually be placed where shown.

IMG_6409.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

IMG_6411.jpg

that is it right there wow hat is the most coolest lookign thing iv seen in a while. how long until it is done?

FYI i may make the cargo area an inch taller pending the outcome of testing, so that a 12 pack of cans can fit inside the confines of the cargo bay. Also, i am redesigning the rear doors into more of a tailgate type of design.

Fabrication here should be done within 2 weeks, all thats left is the motor hubs form the machine shop (.5" thick steel = not fun to cut by hand) and the radio system.

I got the new motor mounts cut out, was hard using shears but would have been next to impossible using a jig saw.

Need to finish the torsion braces for the motor mounts, make some motor bow supports, drill the lower shock mounts, and construct the upper shock mounts. The right rear already has the lower mounts drilled (three holes each 1 CM apart).

The tailgate is a little complex, the sheet metal is the drop-stop and helps contain the linkage point (the eye hook) and contain everything. A cross-over bar will be installed under the cargo area to convert the 1.5" linear motion of the servo into the 3" linear motion required to open and close the tailgate.

The pile of drill and motors shows just how strong the tailgate is. May easily be the strongest part of the truck. Also got the plexiglass windshield installed.

Not so sure i'll need 2 shocks on each arm...1 may be enough other than the center.

All 8 shocks installed, sitting at ride height-

All that's left is the radio system and the hubs. Everything else is on there and ready. Give or take the tailgate, all i need to do to it is run off some inch wide chunks of plywood and it's set.

Course that's ignoring the linkage systems, as they can't be set until i get the servos put in, which i'll be buying with the radio.

So while the wheels and chassis collide right now, with the hubs, they shouldn't, as the hubs are half an inch thick. If they do, i'll make wheel spacers so they don't.

11-06-07003.jpg

11-06-07004.jpg

11-06-07005.jpg

You forgot to add the yolk to hitch the oxen up to it. How do you expect it to move...

Just looking at those last shots, would it be worth it to move those motor wires to the middle of the arms rather than the edges for more protection.... once this bad-boy is off-roading etc, you might loose one.

Just looking at those last shots, would it be worth it to move those motor wires to the middle of the arms rather than the edges for more protection.... once this bad-boy is off-roading etc, you might loose one.
The wires will be managed alot better once i'm done. Heck, i'm still not 110% sure about how the swingarms will react torsionally during the skid steer. I know on the spot 360's is out of the question...but i hope a 2 or 3 foot turning radius isn't. If it is, i'll beback at the draring board :D

I just got 2 shocks mounted to help in the torsion dept on one side, still have to make the anged mounts and the secondary shock mounts for the other side, and all 6 motor supports. Also, i finished out the tailgate..not the prettiest looking, buit i can do all the fine trimmings ect of everything AFTER i actually have it moving under it's own power. Wanna make sure everythign works before i go tinkering on it.

The wires will be managed alot better once i'm done. Heck, i'm still not 110% sure about how the swingarms will react torsionally during the skid steer. I know on the spot 360's is out of the question...but i hope a 2 or 3 foot turning radius isn't. If it is, i'll beback at the draring board :D

I just got 2 shocks mounted to help in the torsion dept on one side, still have to make the anged mounts and the secondary shock mounts for the other side, and all 6 motor supports. Also, i finished out the tailgate..not the prettiest looking, buit i can do all the fine trimmings ect of everything AFTER i actually have it moving under it's own power. Wanna make sure everythign works before i go tinkering on it.
11-07-07001.jpg

11-07-07002.jpg

11-07-07003.jpg

11-07-07004.jpg

Hey Mag...do you think all the motors will rotate the same rpms? If they are different will it cause the truck to move improperly? Or will you just have to wait and see. Do you have video mode on your camera to post it on youtube when you get it going? Your'e getting there slow but sure.:D What are you running for Batteries?

Hey Mag...do you think all the motors will rotate the same rpms? If they are different will it cause the truck to move improperly? Or will you just have to wait and see. Do you have video mode on your camera to post it on youtube when you get it going? Your'e getting there slow but sure.:D What are you running for Batteries?
the motors are supposed to be pretty close..if not the speed controls have a +-5% adjustable speed threshold. it's a wait and see thing.

video be on here as soon as i get it to move on it's own.

the motors are supposed to be pretty close..if not the speed controls have a +-5% adjustable speed threshold. it's a wait and see thing.

video be on here as soon as i get it to move on it's own.
On batteries, i have a pair of pirahna 1500's, and i have the wiring such that i can run both in parralell should i need 3 amps of juice to run it. However, i think it'll be fine on one battery. I can only charge one at a time on the 15 minute rapid charger so i plan to run only 1. Thats a wait and see too.

I'm going to solder 4 of the motors on tomorrow (or maybe later today), other 2 have to wait till i get more connectors, then drill some 5/8" holes for the wiring to pass through (maybe buy some 5/8 loom to make it look nice if it's cheap).

Radio kit should come wed or thurs next week.

My dad soldered up the motors for me tonight so i can hook those up and start syncing the controllers for speed and neutrality.

Gotta make a bank run tomorrow and hunt down more set collars, my dad bought 3 for me today from TSC, gotta find 9 more or so (2 collars per shaft). Hopefully when we're done it'll be to the point that either the lock collars will slip or the #4 bolts holding it all together will snap, before the motor shaft itself snaps.

12-27-07001.jpg

12-27-07002.jpg

well, easy part's over.

I have 6 motors that all turn the same direction. Problem now, is configuring them to be in unison for neutral and speed. I have a looooong night ahead....

well, they're spinnign different speeds, but I got the neutrals configured. The trick to DC motors is dry pull vs load pull, and that's likely why the motors werent responding to the change in voltages. once i get the hubs made and make it start moving on it's own, i'll know what i have for a baseline on motor speeds.

radio should have shipped today, and i've got 3 hubs done. Didn't get enough stuff to make all 6, only 4, but hopefully i'll have a video of it crawlin on 4 wheels before too long.

figured the rough CoG and make a couple suspension changes to make it easier to steer (stiffened centers/softened outers) so when i get the other 2 wheels on it next week, then we'll know what i need to change to make thing better. Radio arrives thursday due to new years.

http://www.auto-chat.net/AIRT/robot059.avi

So i burned my finger today.

anybody like to loook at this imagea and tell me what i overlooked that caused an 8 amp dead short at 7.2 volts?

01-04-08.jpg

i now know the amp load in which a piece of paper clip becomes a lightbulb filament....the one i'm rednecking for a fuse in my robot just lit up the whole hallway..

guess i should post an update-

It's all but finished now, TLC said they'd have the stuff in last week but never did that i know of, hope to get them monday so i can make the self-imposed deadline of wednesday. Lights are mounted and working, got the speed controls programmed a little closer together (FWIW), looks like once i get the other 2 wheels on it'll be a matter of finalizing the speed control settings to overall unity and putting some paint on it.

Back
Top Bottom