How would SVG fare in Cup?

I actually didn't know about Thorsport being right around from Cedar Point; I've spent a lot-lot-lot time in Sandusky including living there one summer. Not that they have any kind of public presence and merch sales there to go visit I'm guessing.

I'm sure for most teams it simply doesn't make sense to be anywhere but around the immediate vicinity of Mooresville NC given that the number of motorsports employees there is probably greater than anywhere else in the country. The only remotely competitive region is probably Greater Indy given the Indycar/USAC/NHRA ties.

They do allow people to the public into their facility, and do some shop tours. But I’m guessing your on same page when it comes to public presence.

It looks like the hype train for SVG is in full swing. Some are saying he could jump to Cup immediately and be a regular contender. Others are saying that he had an advantage because of his familiarity with street courses.

People on Reddit and Twitter are setting some lofty expectations. What do you say RF?

My prediction (and this may age like milk) is that he would come in and be a competitive driver on road courses immediately but likely struggle a bit elsewhere. Unlike other crossover acts like Tony Stewart (or even Sam Hornish and Danica), his oval racing resume is a bit thin.

It looks like he’d be skipping Xfinity (which Marcos Ambrose didn’t do) so he would have to build his oval racing resume in a Cup car, which is a TON of pressure for someone new to a discipline.

My personal opinion is that he’s a hell of a talent but he’s also falling victim to NASCAR fans setting lofty expectations based on a small sample size.
Should get a couple of Project 91 starts later in the year. Since they have none other's planned to get more experince.

A rambling post, that side steps the question.

You never know what will happen until you put the driver in a cup car (you have to really BS yourself to think you can predict the ourcome)
Even with the best talent and skills it doesn't always materialize, the over used "chemistry" terminology is still applicable. A few will exceed expectations, but the the thoughts of it being a "few" needs to be reiterated.

A driver can also have an excellent career in cup and still be over-looked. Not thinking of SVG in particular but I have seen a lot of really good accomplished cup drivers get the average treatment. It seems to be all or nothing in most minds. Only a very few will ever win the cup championship or ever be dominant for a period of time, but it does not necessarily mean they failed.

Bringing it back to SVG I think he has earned the opportunity to show Nascar and the fans what he can do. Maybe it will work out, and maybe it will not, thats why they run the races.

You never know what will happen until you put the driver in a cup car (you have to really BS yourself to think you can predict the ourcome)
Even with the best talent and skills it doesn't always materialize, the over used "chemistry" terminology is still applicable. A few will exceed expectations, but the the thoughts of it being a "few" needs to be reiterated.
This. SVG has more wins in the NASCAR Cup Series than Kenny Irwin Jr (RIP), JJ Yeley, Jason Leffler (also RIP), and Johnny Sauter combined. Ultimately someone like SVG can be competitive at minimum on any non-oval and the 6 "plate" (I know plates are gone) races. That's 13 chances out of 36 for a good finish, and one win at somewhere like Chicago is pretty much enough to ensure almost any fulltimer makes the playoffs. If he manages to do well at the tracks which road course racers also typically did well at (Indy, Pocono, Martinsville), that's basically half the schedule once you throw in the heavy braking at North Wilkesboro, a nearly certain 2024 calendar entry.

They were planning on it, but I imagine shipping & travel costs are too much. I like seeing as much character as possible, but costs are costs.
Was that before he bought Ganassi because that be hard to turn down a turn key shop.

He's the kind of guy who will put in the work and is a natural behind the wheel. If he were placed with a team like Trackhouse I believe he could make the playoffs first year because I think out of the current allotment of road course races he would pull one off but probably have an overall points position between 15-20. One other thing though if he came in the former car era he would struggle and not make the playoffs

I'm loving the salt from certain Americans that someone smoked their favorites in their debut race, some people scared that certain people this place claims are good drivers like Ryan Preece got exposed

18th to the lead in a handful of laps, SVG made the field look like RWR cars

I'm loving the salt from certain Americans that someone smoked their favorites in their debut race, some people scared that certain people this place claims are good drivers like Ryan Preece got exposed

Well smoked is a little bit of a stretch considering he had 16 laps less on his tires but you do you. We've heard it all before, "the next great thing" never quite pans out. Pass the salt please.

Bell, Reddick and Truex were all faster than he was, and they all walled it. SVG didn’t put a wheel wrong. That’s the street course experience showing.

I mean it’s one race on a track similar to what SVG is accustomed to. I Dont think you’d be making this same post if SVG had made his debut or raced at Darlington, Richmond, Martinsville or NWB.

“The oval is a completely different world,” said van Gisbergen, who will make his 500th Supercar race start this weekend in Townsvile.

“I have no illusion that I’d go there and run up the front — that would take a long time.

“Obviously, you want to try, but having six to eight road courses in the coming years, that’s appealing.”

They really weren't faster. He was faster and didn't put a wheel wrong

Then why didn’t he just drive by them early in the race? Check the stage 1 and 2 results. By the end of the race the track was drier and he was the only one of the fast guys at the front (due to the 45, 20 and 19 crashing trying to get back to the front) so those single lap speeds are pretty meaningless. You’re going to be faster on a dry track in clean air.

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
Then why didn’t he just drive by them early in the race? Check the stage 1 and 2 results. By the end of the race the track was drier and he was the only one of the fast guys at the front (due to the 45, 20 and 19 crashing trying to get back to the front) so those single lap speeds are pretty meaningless. You’re going to be faster on a dry track in clean air.
Why would he want to? He doesn't need or care for points, he saved his car mostly running 5-8th while the others were busting their asses and eating tires. Kinda dumb for him to be leading the race in the early stages.

Time to see how he does off the streets

If he wins again he’s Superman. Imagine 3 years ago someone said to you that Brodie Kostecki vs SVG was happening in cup cars, or that Kimi Raikkonen, Jenson Button, Conor Daly and Jimmie Johnson were all going to take the green flag in the same cup race. We live in such a cool time. All the crossover between disciplines is so awesome.

Yes, he is thinking 2 moves ahead of the " super teams". Not only is he a damn fine driver but he is, and I hate this cliche " thinking outside the box". The data he collects from drivers outside of this series is invaluable.
The data driving these cars I should clarify

Yes, he is thinking 2 moves ahead of the " super teams". Not only is he a damn fine driver but he is, and I hate this cliche " thinking outside the box". The data he collects from drivers outside of this series is invaluable.

Marks is a smart guy, but he's not the first person to hire road course ringers.

SVG wants to beat Kostecki any way he can get it this year.

Crazy to think that Shane, Brodie, Jenson, and Kamui will all be racing in the same Cup race. Really incredible stuff. I think I’d like to see Kamui surprise since the others are getting all the fanfare.

He's not replacing his regular drivers, he's bring these guys in as guest stars.

Joe Nemechek was only running the #87 as an excuse to run Ron Fellows on road courses from a few years there. It didn't appear anywhere else. What Marks is doing is an evolution of that, which is driven by the increased number of opportunities to showcase road racers. He also has more funding and ability to attract sponsorship than ol' Joe.

He's a smart guy who is smartly taking advantage of the schedule to do some cool things on road courses, but I think we need to cool it with the visionary talk.

I like Marks, I'm a Chastain fan, but I also hate exaggerations.

Joe Nemechek was only running the #87 as an excuse to run Ron Fellows on road courses from a few years there. It didn't appear anywhere else. What Marks is doing is an evolution of that, which is driven by the increased number of opportunities to showcase road racers. He also has more funding and ability to attract sponsorship than ol' Joe.

He's a smart guy who is smartly taking advantage of the schedule to do some cool things on road courses, but I think we need to cool it with the visionary talk.

No-one has suggested that he’s a visionary.

If you truly hate exaggerations, stop exaggerating.

Joe, his wife (shes from my hometown) and JHN are friends of mine. What you think you know is laughable.

Back
Top Bottom