How would SVG fare in Cup?

Attachments

• FE6B4F77-8735-431F-8C07-6FE7EE34367D.jpeg
    FE6B4F77-8735-431F-8C07-6FE7EE34367D.jpeg
    813.7 KB · Views: 105
I don't think he'll do well to be honest. Chicago was an example of everything coming together, stars aligning. He'll be mediocre no matter what equipment he gets. I'd say his ceiling is Marcos Ambrose.

You could offer a ton of great insight to this forum as Nature says yet messages like these are 3/4ths of your posts.

Doubt SVG does much of anything. It really was a perfect scenario for him.

I don't think he'll do well to be honest. Chicago was an example of everything coming together, stars aligning. He'll be mediocre no matter what equipment he gets. I'd say his ceiling is Marcos Ambrose.
He’s going to be at least top 10 on speed. And remember that Marcos Ambrose kicked some serious tail at Watkins Glen and should’ve had a win at Sonoma but stalled the car.

You could offer a ton of great insight to this forum as Nature says yet messages like these are 3/4ths of your posts.

Doubt SVG does much of anything. It really was a perfect scenario for him.
Sorry my friend, that simply isnt true. I try to offer insight,

With SVG, Kobayashi, Button and Kostecki in the race it's difficult not to look forward to the Indy RC race, what makes it even better is that it could be the last one.
I'm most looking forward to Kamui's debut. I haven't followed him much in sports cars but he was one of the most entertaining drivers in 2010-12 F1 and his style might be better suited to NASCAR than Button or Kimi.

If SVG makes a start on an oval before the end of the season we know he's serious about moving over.

With SVG, Kobayashi, Button and Kostecki in the race it's difficult not to look forward to the Indy RC race, what makes it even better is that it could be the last one.
I'm most looking forward to Kamui's debut. I haven't followed him much in sports cars but he was one of the most entertaining drivers in 2010-12 F1 and his style might be better suited to NASCAR than Button or Kimi.

If SVG makes a start on an oval before the end of the season we know he's serious about moving over.
Good point on Kobayashi, he is a very aggressive driver in sports cars

I wonder how much of a factor the new car is with the outlier drivers deciding to come to the U.S. and race. They all have some experience with similar cars. That could be a factor in their thinking that they can be competitive.

What they don't have experience with is turn one at the Indy road course on a restart. Yikes.

I wonder how much of a factor the new car is with the outlier drivers deciding to come to the U.S. and race. They all have some experience with similar cars. That could be a factor in their thinking that they can be competitive.

What they don't have experience with is turn one at the Indy road course on a restart. Yikes.
100%.....I was just thinking about this the other day.....It's great in a way in that it makes our sport more global.....but, on the other hand, I think we have lost the beautifully archaic nature of what the old car was which made our sport exclusive to our region. Not a bad thing....just time has moved on.....Drivers want to drive this stuff.

100%.....I was just thinking about this the other day.....It's great in a way in that it makes our sport more global.....but, on the other hand, I think we have lost the beautifully archaic nature of what the old car was which made our sport exclusive to our region. Not a bad thing....just time has moved on.....Drivers want to drive this stuff.

I like seeing new guys coming in and giving NASCAR a shot. It’s pretty cool to see some of the best road racers in the world decide to see if they can compete in Cup.

What I don’t like are the inflated expectations placed on these guys. It’s not fair to them and it’s disrespectful to the guys who do this every week.

I like seeing new guys coming in and giving NASCAR a shot. It’s pretty cool to see some of the best road racers in the world decide to see if they can compete in Cup.

What I don’t like are the inflated expectations placed on these guys. It’s not fair to them and it’s disrespectful to the guys who do this every week.
Don't tell me this is going the "embarrassing" route. Most of us don't give that a thought. They are competing, one of them beat everybody on the street, others had mixed results at COTA. It's racing.

Agreed, and I view this Indy race now as being basically a test for him to see if he would really be happy here. I could definitely see them putting him in at Martinsville or something later this season to give him a broader picture of what being a Cup driver is like, evaluate how he does, and try to make a full-time deal for next year if it all goes well.

Would someone remind me of the preliminary requirements are for a driver to run his / her first Cup 'plate' race? I'm pretty sure some form of experience at a lower level is required.

I don't even know what the "best road course racer" in the world means. Cars are different. Series are different. Tracks are different. Obviously, SVG has a pretty impressive skill set, but I am not putting him in a car ahead of Lewis Hamilton---who races on road courses...successfully.

Marks is bringing an international star in his prime to a solid piece of equipment. No one has done that in a long time…maybe Mattias Ekstrom with Red Bull was the last one back in 2009, if you even regard that as solid equipment. Pretty much every ringer for the better part of two decades has been in crappy stuff or was well past their prime. For that, I’m appreciative.

Chris Rice said in an interview with Frontstretch that they’ll have a driver set at Kaulig on August 15th. August 13th is the Indy race. Hmmmm

Tough to make the transition to NASCAR’s oval tracks?

Yes. You start by transitioning to driving the car from a seating position on the left hand side of your Nextgen ride as opposed to the right hand side position in your V8 Supercar. Change gear with the other hand. And so on …

1692034214607.jpeg

Tough to make the transition to NASCAR’s oval tracks?

Yes. You start by transitioning to driving the car from a seating position on the left hand side of your Nextgen ride as opposed to the right hand side position in your V8 Supercar. Change gear with the other hand. And so on …

View attachment 72205
As long as they have time to think about it they will be fine. The problem is in the split second of trouble, reflexes take over and the left hand shoots out looking for the gearshift.

Back
Top Bottom