Hurricane Florence

Direct link to Fox10 in Phoenix from Atlantic Beach, North Carolina.

I'm as prepared as I'll ever be for Hurricane Florence. Hopefully it'll be nothing too serious.

When they talk about Carteret County, which is what MSNBC and Weather Channel has focused on, that's where I live.

It sounds bad. Brian Williams and Bill Karins are saying this is going to be unprecedented devastation for months.

someone said that's a loop of the previous day

Here’s the story behind that incredible Hurricane Florence webcam:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/na...ence-webcam/3xcP0KjCzyeilxJMgFFAHI/story.html

Richard Neal’s YouTube video was drawing tens of thousands of viewers Thursday. But it didn’t feature any big stars, splashy visuals, or infectious tunes.

The star of the livestream was an American flag, and the soundtrack was the Stars and Stripes whipping in the wind — surely on the verge of being totally shredded — as potentially devastating Hurricane Florence churned through the ocean in the background.

Neal, 58, a Charlotte, N.C., software developer, is the owner of Frying Pan Tower, a former Coast Guard light station 32 miles southeast of Wilmington, N.C.

He says he wanted to be there for Florence, but he was on land Thursday morning.

“I just had to [stay ashore] for work,” he said in a telephone interview. “I really wanted to be out there.”

As of about 4 p.m., more than 120,000 people were simultaneously watching the webcam on the tower, as the flag frayed and the seas seethed. And comments were pouring in. “Man, I hope everyone is off that thing!” commented one person. “The flag will be gone in the morning,” said another.

At various times through the day, the cable news networks displayed pictures of the lonely banner.

The camera, funded by the nature webcam network explore.org, is on the light station’s tower, about 110 to 115 feet up, Neal said.

The tower rises to 133 feet. The square deck of the station, which people have said resembles a pizza box, contains eight bedrooms and is about 90 feet high.

Neal said the light station was built in the 1960s and the Coast Guard stopped using it in the late 1970s. He bought it for $85,000 in 2010, and for a while he operated it as a B and B.

Now he’s selling 32 shares in it for anybody who wants to get on a boat or a helicopter and adventure out to spend some time on a tower in the middle of the ocean.

Neal said he has stayed aboard the tower during other hurricanes, including Arthur, Matthew, and Sandy.

Arthur hit while Neal and his family were inside. During the storm a window “blew in, but we all got together and put a big piece of steel over it. Then we went back to eating dinner,” he told WFAE-FM in Charlotte.

While a hurricane on land can send objects dangerously flying through the air, he said Thursday morning that out on the ocean, “You don’t worry about that out there. It’s just rain and wind.” You do need to put on goggles, though, he said, noting that the wind-whipped rain “feels like bee stings.”

Rather than hampering sales of shares in the tower, he said, the hurricane shows the durability of the structure off to potential customers. “I think this will help tremendously,” he said.

Neal’s webcam is among a handful that offer dramatic ive views of the ferocity of the storm.

Asked how it felt to have the eyes of the world on his tower — or looking through his webcam — Neal was philosophical. “We’re really exciting for about one day of the year. That’s OK,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I-40 outside Wilmington NC. There's an interstate under there somewhere.
41822441_1867584169996970_3787538659691986944_n.jpg

I found it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of right now 4 dead according to reports. A mom and baby when a tree fell on their home. A LOT of water rescues, dummy's who decided to ride it out. This is a storm that fulfilled it's billing, a monster.

I call them dummies because if the shoe fits,,,,,
By staying they not only put themselves in danger of losing their life but also the 1st responders who they call to rescue them. If they don't have the means to evacuate or have special medical needs, they will be accommodated.
This storm will kick up the surf and a local PD and FD will again offer to photograph and write a ID number on surfers arms before they hit the waves. It makes ID'ing the body easier they say. They will not send 1st responders out into dangerous surf to rescue a dummy. Many mommies will write nasty letters saying these people are paid with their tax dollars to protect their precious dummies. Those mommies are dummies too.

By staying they not only put themselves in danger of losing their life but also the 1st responders who they call to rescue them. If they don't have the means to evacuate or have special medical needs, they will be accommodated.
This storm will kick up the surf and a local PD and FD will again offer to photograph and write a ID number on surfers arms before they hit the waves. It makes ID'ing the body easier they say. They will not send 1st responders out into dangerous surf to rescue a dummy. Many mommies will write nasty letters saying these people are paid with their tax dollars to protect their precious dummies. Those mommies are dummies too.
Wow, uncalled for...

I saw that, fergy, and just about died laughing.
Did you see the guy on CNN saying it'd be a storm for the ages while the children were building sand castles behind him? Had to laugh at that.

I'm way inland and knew this wouldn't be anything to worry about really. My power did go out for a few minutes a little while ago but I have generators if we really need them. Looking forward to a few days without any major work around the farm.

All I know is that I would heed the warnings and evacuate. If I knew someone personally who physically wasn't able to evacuate, I would do all I could to help. Isn't it true that if there is a mandatory evacuation order, emergency personnel won't assist anyone until it is safe to do so? Regardless, I'm not in a position to judge those who dont choose to get out of town.

I'd appreciate not calling people who made the decision to stay dummies alright?
Same here. There are a lot of reasons why some decide to stay.
Wow, uncalled for...
I stand by what I said, dummies. Should I have said irresponsible people? Does that make it better? I know people are reluctant to evacuate because so many times the weather guessers are wrong, not only do they get the path wrong they exaggerate the size, duration and damage a pending storm brings. Not so in this case, long before the it made landfall it was well known the shiit was going to hit the fan. I hope the dummies irresponsible people who choose to ride it out make it,I'm grateful no 1st responder lost their life saving a dummie irresponsible person.

17 dead, 100's isolated due to flooding. Rivers and streams will continue to rise so more flooding is on the way. Section of Rt 95 is closed due to flooding. What a mess.

I hope the race teams do something for the relief effort

Been seeing pictures from Carteret County. Looks like total misery there.
Hang in there bud. When you can go back, be ready to clean up and help folks.
Hope your stuff is ok. All of this will be a story for around a campfire some day.

Keep us posted when you can.

Back
Top Bottom