26a0.png
⚠️
26a0.png
⚠️
26a0.png
⚠️
26a0.png
⚠️

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT IN THE CITY OF HOUSTON... GALVESTON COUNTY... AND BRAZORIA COUNTY.

EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS HAVE REQUESTED THAT PEOPLE ESCAPING FLOOD WATERS AS A LAST RESORT DO NOT STAY IN THE ATTIC. IF HIGHEST FLOOR OF YOUR HOME BECOMES DANGEROUS...GET ON THE ROOF. CALL 911 FOR HELP AND STAY ON THE LINE UNTIL ANSWERED.
My aunt lives northwest of Houston --- she wrote this about an hour ago.
"Emptied 3½ Fri-Sat. during day.
Emptied running over at 6 inches about 3AM Sun.
At 6AM there is another 3 inches...I haven't got out in heavy rain to empty it yet. Still high and not to dry. Ready for a break."
My former principal lives in West Houston --- he just told me he has 8 to 10 inches of water in his home right now.

Just saw on the news Houston has received over 20+ inches of rain and they expect another 20+ inches in the next few days. Potential of 4 feet of rain in a week? Add the 60+ tornado warnings throughout southern Texas. Makes our Nor' Easter blizzards no big deal.
Larry is a friend on another forum who lives in Houston, no one has heard from him since early Friday. Fingers crossed

According to the National Weather Service, Houston has picked up TWO FEET of rain in just 24 hours due to Tropical Storm Harvey. An additional foot or more of rainfall is expected over the next few days. - Meteorologist Mallory Schnell WTVM
Houston.jpg

My whole sucker pumper / tanker car idea thing isn't looking so bad now... these photos are horrible.

Finally heard from my friend,
''Hey all, thanks you thinking about us. We're doing OK so far. Water is up in the yard about like it was overnight but it has quit raining. Should drain off in an hour or so. The Lake Ford pier is still there and unharmed. We are getting a lot of Flash Flood and Tornado warnings from NWS. I'm tempted to turn off my phone. This storm is now forecast to hang in here till Wedensday then head towards Arkansas. Just hope the rain slacks off some, I doubt we can continue to get that much without problems.
Joint Base Ellington, which is nearby, has been flying Blackhawk choppers getting folks off roofs. Flew by here but everything is good here as far as I can see.''
Larry

NG Kiante? One of the guys my son works with has a family member who is a lineman for our electric company. He was told to pack his bags because when they call he'll be on the crew heading down.

Reactions: Pat
NG Kiante? One of the guys my son works with has a family member who is a lineman for our electric company. He was told to pack his bags because when they call he'll be on the crew heading down.

No sir, I guess the AF Reserve is willing to send of some extra help if needed and our unit was one of the ones selected, also being a Med Evacuation unit us communication guys will be needed to get people air lifted if necessary.

Don't call me Sir, I was a Sargent and worked for a living. :)
Good luck if called. :salute:

This car is on 18 inch tall "Pro Jacks". Most other racers do not have this much water in their shops yet, averaging 3-5" or so. Many have never been flooded before and did not think to put the cars in the trailers then raise them on jacks inside...except one. The car is on 18" jack stands inside a trailer parked on cinder blocks.

21192450_1547000465343417_4717270316279110404_n.jpg

21106621_1678333698874342_2137126739268851388_n.jpg

He's not opening the doors yet, just in case they are actually holding water tight.

21150402_10154798490676512_1323898499873355988_n.jpg

21105463_10154798490741512_5908064344410955062_n.jpg

That rain just wont let up! I have been constantly watching the radar since the storm formed and there has been heavy rain over Houston every time I have checked.

The area inside the 610 loop is 100 square miles.

The area occupied by the suburbs is 45 miles wide and 60 miles tall - 2700 square miles.

6,000,000 people / 2700 sq mi = 2,200 people per square mile.

Let's say an average of 2.75 people per household. 6,000,000 / 2.75 = 2.2 million households. Say 40% of those are apartments on 2nd floor or above. 1.3 million houses and first floor apartments.

1.3 million @ $20,000 in flood damages = Twenty-Six Billion in damages.

Factor in another 10,000ish businesses @ $20,000 in damages = Two Hundred Million in damages.

And I'm being conservative. Think about all the road under water that will be delaminating or washed out completely, all the infrastructure in general.

This could easily hit the Trillion mark.

Hurricanes give you plenty of warning and I am sure Houston has several highways leading out of town. There will always be people who think they can win the fight again mother nature. The only thing is that if you work for a crap company, they probably wouldnt let you leave unless evacuation was mandatory.

Hurricanes give you plenty of warning and I am sure Houston has several highways leading out of town. There will always be people who think they can win the fight again mother nature. The only thing is that if you work for a crap company, they probably wouldnt let you leave unless evacuation was mandatory.
Thing is, the hurricane was not coming inland around Houston. No one can predict how much rain is going to fall or where. I lived in Houston when Hurricane Carla came ashore about the same place Harvey did. Had nowhere near the rain or flooding in Houston -- and we were on the "dirty" side of the storm.

Go take a look at the warnings. This storm gathered strength incredibly fast. Even if people had been ready to go ... go to where?

I love this ****** country. :salute:

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...tag-cajun-navy-responds-houston-flood-n796991

There are so many stories like this. People helping people. All these people with their boats saving lives, they don't care who the person they rescued voted for in the last election, or who their favorite sports team is, they're just stepping up and doing whatever they can to save lives.

This is what makes America great.

No, Houston does not have many ways out. Only I-10 East (as west wasn't an option given landfall location) and I-45 north.

This is what I-45 looked like during Katrina/Rita. That was probably 1 million people ago. It took people 12 hours or longer to go what was normally a 3 hour drive, almost 18 hours to get a 5 hour drive to DFW.

Even redirecting to Austin to take I-35 north is a null subject because both sides of I-35 in Waco are down to 2 lanes due to massive construction.

rita-evacuation.jpg

This video really put it in perspective for me, someone who has never dealt with extreme weather..

Reactions: Pat
This was taken East of Houston in I-10 close to Beaumont --- close to the Louisiana border.
Taken from a boat by a guy going out to check his cattle.
More info: this pic was taken closer to Winnie, TX --- 20 miles inland from the Gulf.
170830095045-interstate-10-waves-split-exlarge-169.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom