Hurricane Irma

This is our first hurricane. I definitely would have done things differently had we felt there was no urgency but we felt it best to get outa Dodge before gas and traffic tied things up in knots. Right now we are discussing what we will do next. It is doubtful we'll have anything left to return to but I keep hoping ...................and realize from here on in, it is out of our control.
You did the right thing bud. Our situation is very different from your's. I would have left also if we had been where you were. As TRL said you're all three safe and that's what counts.

We're loaded up, hitched up and ready to go. The highways to the west are clear and there's plenty of gas so no problems there. It looks like It's going to go in east of Apalachicola. If it does we're all good.
Trust your instincts bud. Best of luck

Irma seems determined --- Jose, not so much.
These are the latest guesses as to where Jose is going --- if he ever decides.
storm_12

feel bad for anyone in the way of this monster. this is just crazy 2 hits in a row and possibly a 3rd on the way.

People ask me very often why I live in WI..Feel pretty safe here

Bad weather can strike anywhere but like you I am in a historically safe area.

Well folks, looks like we get the E ticket ride in this one. Gusts from 60 to 70 now, it look like the eye will go over Arcadia Fla., 32 miles to the west of us.So we will see 100MPH + sustained here for a while.

I am amazed we have power but am sure that is short lived.

Will let you all know how we come out.

@Johali be safe on the road and good luck.

Of course, the weather guy is standing out in it --- like a fool
Did you see the one on a balcony on ABC with a big thick rope wrapped around his right wrist and hand holding on? Drama queens.

Reactions: Pat
Well folks, looks like we get the E ticket ride in this one. Gusts from 60 to 70 now, it look like the eye will go over Arcadia Fla., 32 miles to the west of us.So we will see 100MPH + sustained here for a while.

I am amazed we have power but am sure that is short lived.

Will let you all know how we come out.

@Johali be safe on the road and good luck.
Watch yourselves bud. Be safe. As of now we're not leaving. Highest winds predicted to be 35 mph and we're well above the high water line.

another hurricane that didn't go where they were saying it would. Little consolation that it is a Cat 3. i don't see the use for these guys to be standing out there in harms way.

My dad and his roommate rode out Hurricane Irma in Miami. The worst of the storm has passed, but power is out.

He left me a message from a number I don't recognize, so I assume cell service is out as well.

Some good news from Key West ---
NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt
1 hr ·
JUST IN: Good news: The curator at the Hemingway House in the Keys tells MSNBC that the historic home is intact -- and the 54 six-toed cats are safe -- after Hurricane #Irma.
We vacation in the Keys at least once a year,some of the older homes I would trust more in a hurricane more than the new ones.I believe some of the new homes are put together with staple guns.

Were fine, but the eye is headed through here in Polk. Gusts have been reported to be up to 80 mph outside, but we still have power.

The bad news is that I'm so congested that my teeth freaking hurt, I can't sleep either so yeah. I've been lying down for two hours with no result.lol

We are fine though, we will access things when the sun rises in the morning.

Just woke up, power is out now.

I won't be posting as often and there is some damage to the patio roof is gone and the pole barn is pretty much toast, so clean up is going to be fun.

Still getting nasty and quite gusty winds, I'm going to try to go back to sleep. We are good.:)

Good news, the rain has stopped. The bad news, we found damage at the peak of the roof.

We are on top of the house right now. Were crazy, its patched up and we are headed down.

This storm has done some damage, I'll post some pictures later on.

Sounds like it could of been a lot worse

Have no idea what our home looks like as no damage reports have been sent to us as yet. Sarasota County Sheriff is allowing emergency and utility vehicles on roads in some areas and people who evacuated to hotels in Venice have no water. Should hear something soon. High winds, 80 plus mph, lingered over that area for more than six hours. All we can do is hope. Returning to Florida will be something else again. It will mean waiting until we feel there is gas from Raleigh to our home. Like everything else, it takes time to put everything in place and get it the way we want it.
Trying to stay positive.
Just hope all those living in the path are safe and suffering no major damage but even if they do, hope all you and family are safe.

Good to wake up this morning and find Irma is down graded to tropical storm. Slowly hearing from people that are ok is a good start today.

We got good news!! Only minor damage and everything is intact. Even my truck is reported okay. Others in the community not as fortunate from initial reports. Thank you all for the good wishes. My Bride and I want to collapse. While we like to believe we slept last night we were not in a restful sleep. It was pretty wearing and knowing we had no control over anything was a big issue. Our son and daughter were top of the heap offering their support and opening their homes to us if necessary. We are truly blessed in more ways than one.

We got good news!! Only minor damage and everything is intact. Even my truck is reported okay. Others in the community not as fortunate from initial reports. Thank you all for the good wishes. My Bride and I want to collapse. While we like to believe we slept last night we were not in a restful sleep. It was pretty wearing and knowing we had no control over anything was a big issue. Our son and daughter were top of the heap offering their support and opening their homes to us if necessary. We are truly blessed in more ways than one.
That's wonderful news! Now, you can sleep.
Just be patient and wait until it's safe to travel down to your home.

HA! Already working on evacuation plan just in case there is a next time. One thing for sure, will have a punch list of things t do before leaving and a list of things to take. Job #1 upon return is to take classic pickup truck to trailer place and have it wired for trailer lights and auxiliary brake for trailer controlled by pressure on brake pedal in truck. Then lay out trailer in such a way we can grab clothing from closet and hang them on rids already installed in trailer, place for everything t=we want to take and emergency equipment plus extra gasoline containers. Must tweek the plan but you get the idea.

It was dumb to leave the truck since it is not insured for its actual value because of its age but it still hauls and runs like a new one so the thing to do is hook truck to trailer and haul ass outa Dodge and leave the car. The car is a 2014 year model and insured so if it gets clobbered, the insurance company is on the hook and not me. Just some of the little things we have time to think about while waiting for word of after effects and return to our home in Florida.

Any suggestions and/or thoughts from those who have experienced this type of emergency will be greatly appreciated.

Meantime went to Red, Hot and Blue, a ribs place for a bowl of Burnin' Love Chili and a cold beer plus topped it off with vanilla ice cream covering warm blackberry cobbler. And a nap!! Our reward!

Must tweek the plan but you get the idea.
First time is always the hardest. Now, you know and can plan.

Meantime went to Red, Hot and Blue, a ribs place for a bowl of Burnin' Love Chili and a cold beer plus topped it off with vanilla ice cream covering warm blackberry cobbler. And a nap!! Our reward!
Nice reward !

Back
Top Bottom