I need a hat, a chain for my wallet & a can of snuff.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by dpkimmel2001, Mar 5, 2019.

1. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Back in Charleston WV for my final week of driver training. Only 3 days left! Did the usual run to Columbus OH from this location earlier today. Still have to go to South Carolina next week for 5 days of corporate training after which I should be released to be on my own. It's been a fun journey so far. Can't wait to get on my own except for one thing..... dining alone. I'm currently sitting as a party of one at a table that seats six. The place is packed. I got to say that I feel very out of place. On the bright side, I don't have to share my complimentary nacho chips with anyone. On the bad side, having a CDL license prevents me from enjoying a cold beer with dinner. :(

sdj, Whizzer, BobbyFord and 2 others like this.
  2. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

Just smile and say to yourself "I've got a great job, steady paycheck and make good money". :D

Greg, sdj, Whizzer and 1 other person like this.
  3. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Life's good. I'm in the driver through at DQ. Blizzard on the way!

Johali and TexasRaceLady like this.
  4. Whizzer

Whizzer Retired entrepreneur

I know what you mean about dining alone. While it was infrequent, during the years I traveled to tractor plow days I always went alone and eating without company makes me long for home cooking and my Bride, who is my best friend but at least I could have a beer with the meal.
    It must be some good company you are driving for because they are making sure you jump though all the hoops and dot all the "i's".
    All that being said, I think the commercial transport company got the better end of the deal.
    Look forward to hearing more of your adventures. :)

5. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Yeah, they seem pretty good. I'm still learning every day so it's all more than worth it.

Today is all pre-loading. Three more loads to do today. Lots of sitting around waiting and very little hands on. Mostly hooking unhooking and backing. All good practice. Lots of paperwork. Lots of Qualcomm entries. Lots of web browsing using up my allotted cell phone data package. I need to switch to unlimited.

About the beer..... I don't think I can have any amount of alcohol in my system and be behind the wheel of anything. I believe I'd lose my license even under the legal limit. Not with it. I can drink at home or have a designated driver. That's the norm for me anyhow. It's just nice to have a beer with dinner and that's missed right now.

Thanks for the compliment.

Whizzer and Johali like this.
  6. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Loading the 2nd of four loads now. The place I'm at has scales all over the place. At this particular site you're instructed where to go to load. You pull onto that scale and then someone comes out, opens the dome, and starts loading. Load times vary depending on viscosity, temperature and connection size. Most loads seem to be accomplished start to finish in under two hours.

Driving through some of these facilities is interesting. Lots of tight spaces, 90 degree turns, pedestrians, guys on bicycles, forklifts, etc... Not really trucker friendly. This place is actually located on an island connected to the mainland with a single lane bridge used for both vehicle and rail traffic. I think the trains only move through here at night.

The place smells which makes me kinda wonder if it's perfectly fine to take a breath here. From my parked location I can see a couple other truck being loaded or offloaded. Hard to tell the difference from this distance.

It's a hot day sitting in the confined space of a not running truck. The Sun's heat is only magnified by all of the glass surrounding me in this day cab. Not sure if I've mentioned previously that I've been running a day cab down here in West Virginia. It's not what I'll be driving but the dash and controls are likely what I'll have. Turning is somewhat different with the shorter wheelbase. Backing too.

Too many pipes to count here. Same with the tanks. Makes one wonder just what is all around you.

Greg and Johali like this.
  7. Johali

Especially when you're sitting in a hot cab with plenty of time to think. :booya:

Greg, LewTheShoe and dpkimmel2001 like this.
  8. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Finally getting the last load loaded now. I get to do one more of these preloads tomorrow at a different plant. They aren't much fun but the pays good. I'd rather be driving. That'll be coming soon though.

Greg and Johali like this.
  9. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

get you one of these if they have that shut off the motor stuff going. It will run as long as it takes to unload, all night also and you can recharge it and hang it anywhere.
    It won't let me post it. But it is on amazon called Opolar battery powered rechargable fan. 30 bucks. I had one similar, but this one is better.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Greg, dpkimmel2001 and sdj like this.
  10. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Thanks, I'll check it out.

The company I'm working for has no problem with the idle, it's the policy of the chemical plants.

11. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yeah I know. It's spotty not hauling Hazmat loads. I used to snag a load in my dry box close to the house at Sand Springs Ok going to Houston with 6 different chemicals in 6 different totes. It was some nasty smelling stuff and I flew 4 different placards. Paid well, but I was always glad to see it get gone. Some of that stuff doesn't play well together.

Magnethead and dpkimmel2001 like this.
  12. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

One preload and two trailer pickups today. I believe that's all that's on the schedule. Left at 530 this morning to a plant only about 60 miles away. Probably about a half hour into the loading process now. Had to watch another video to gain entry into this location. Got another card that will expire after a years time. I'd then have to watch the video again.

It was fairly simple navigating around this plant. Scaled in and will scale out as they don't load on scales here. It'll be a short drive back to drop off this trailer. I'll then go to pick up the first of two empty trailers to shuttle back to our Charleston WV facility. These two tankers required some kind of special wash that our location can't perform. I'm finding so far that there isn't any single location that can handle washing all the different products that could possibly be hauled.

After today, I'll be in my final day of driver training. While some of the days have been long ones time flies by quickly. It won't be long and I'll be without a passenger. I don't know what the solo trucker life will feel like but I hope it's much the same. I'm currently with my fourth driver trainer. I will have spent three weeks with him after tomorrow. It's been a good ride with all of them and I've learned a tremendous amount with each.

Welp, I'm loaded err the tank is. Time to roll.

Greg, Clutch, Johali and 1 other person like this.
  13. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Preload delivered. Time to go pick up a couple emptys..... Which reminds me that I need to stop and pick up a case of beer on the way home tomorrow night. Going to do a little celebrating this weekend with driver training in the rearview.

Clutch and Johali like this.
  14. Johali

Congratulations. One more phase before being on your own.

Greg likes this.
  15. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Day #30 of driver training. The last day of this phase. One offload and one preload left and then I head home for a couple days. Tomorrow morning I'll drive over to my local terminal and hopefully get a chance to find out what tractor I'll be assigned to. In any event, I should get to know the plan moving forward. I do know though that next up is
    coporate training in South Carolina. I'll head there Sunday morning and spend Monday through Friday in classes going over just about everything having to do with this job.

What a fast change of a career path this has been. I never sat in the driver's seat of a big truck before February 11th. A lot can be accomplished in a short period of time.

LewTheShoe, TexasRaceLady and Johali like this.
  16. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Just about done with my last load during driver training.

Here's something I found interesting..... Not sure I mentioned this or not but many of these chemicals are loaded at high temperatures. The tankers are so well insulated that very little heat is lost in transit. In the winter they actually plug lines into the tractors radiator system to pump hot liquid around the tank exterior but under the skin that you see when they're going down the road. The interesting thing that I saw today is that they apparently loaded one of our tanks too hot. The temp is hotter than the client wants it delivered at. Therefore they have to cool it down. So, they end up leaving the tanker sit there with cold water hooked up to the system that normally keeps the product warm while it travels. It could take as much as a day or more to accomplish the reduction in temperature to the clients needs. Learn something new every day.

Johali and Greg like this.
  17. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Officially done with driver training! My trainer signed off that I'm ready for the road. Next up..... A five hour drive home with a beer or three waiting for me when I get there.

BobbyFord, Clutch, Greg and 1 other person like this.
  18. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

I hope you do not have to pull a tanker anywhere around Atlanta. I came through there this afternoon and it was a sea of big rigs bumper to bumper for miles and miles going zero to barely moving in the south bound lane of I-75. All this was the result of rubbernecking over a wreck in the north bound lane, which had a 12 mile backup and rerouting going on. Even without this today, The Atlanta area is a freaking zoo on the roads.
    BTY, I-20 was also closed for a wreck, my GPS on my phone gave me the grand tour to get around all this.

19. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Arrived in South Carolina for this week's corporate training. Pretty tired after the drive. Late night last night and then up early this morning to get down here. Nap time.

Can't wait to get through this week.

Johali likes this.
  20. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

Wow, that was quick. How long were you at home?

dpkimmel2001 likes this.
  21. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Friday and Saturday. This is my last full week away. I'm on a quick break right now. This is our first of five days off corporate training. Going to be a busy week but I'm going to learn a lot. They're are 16 of us here for the week.

Johali and TexasRaceLady like this.
  22. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Very in depth training. Tests and homework. More involved than I thought.

Clutch likes this.
  23. Johali

As you well know a good company has to be very careful in these day's of frivolous lawsuits. To me a hard job to get was more satisfying. I was lucky and only had to do it once in 42 years though.

dpkimmel2001 likes this.
  24. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Day #1 of 4 in the books. :D

Tomorrow's Hazmat Day. All freaking day long.

Johali likes this.