I need a hat, a chain for my wallet & a can of snuff.

Okay, so I weighed after getting partially loaded and I'm now bad in to be topped off. I didn't ask how much they already loaded. Fully loaded, it'll be about 45,000 lbs of product. I should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 78,000+ lbs when I leave here.

Traffic was really backed up around this area this morning but by the time I leave, it'll be as good as it can get for a Thursday morning. I have two options heading back..... North on 476 and then West on 80 or simply West on 76. I like the northern route better. I'm more familiar with it and it's less stressful than 76. Lots of hills on either route. Going to be a long drive to the other side of the state today.

Delivering the load now that I got out in Philly yesterday. Had to back into a dark building to off load. Guys with flashlights directing me. I gotta tell you, I don't understand flashlight directions. Maybe in time. :D

They are doing all the work while I sit here and get paid. Not too bad.

I'm thinking of starting a thread entitled 'Most Disgusting Pics'. I could post a pic of each of the bathrooms in the plants I go to. I'm beginning to think I'll never see a clean restroom again when I'm away from home. Ridiculous. I mean, we aren't animals.

After I'm done here I have to take this empty back to the terminal to be washed. Then, pick up another empty to preload East of Pittsburgh. Back to the terminal once again to drop off and that'll be the end of my first work week as a solo driver.

Bummer is..... I have to drive back out to Philly tomorrow to help my daughter move into an apartment for her last year of college. The great thing is, I'll get to see her.... making the trek across the state more than worthwhile. I think I'll let my wife drive.

More later.

Bummer is..... I have to drive back out to Philly tomorrow to help my daughter move into an apartment for her last year of college. The great thing is, I'll get to see her.... making the trek across the state more than worthwhile. I think I'll let my wife drive.
More later.

AHHhhhhhhhhh, the things we do for our kids. Just think, you get to drive across Pennsylvania and move your daughter then drive home in time to drive for the week. Isn't there something about the mailman going for a walk on his day off........;)

So..... Mondays run was out Southeast of Harrisburg PA. There's was going to be just enough time to get out and back should everything go as planned. Welp, a disabled, burning rig full of recyclables on i76 put a damper on those plans. I sat in traffic watching my time to away. Knowing if never get back in time, I decided to spend the night at a service plaza. My clock is just about reset. I'm still about 2.5 his from my terminal. It's going to be an early start just to get started on time today.

Time to go brush my teeth.

Got the load back this morning. Followed that up with offloading wax at a local plant. Now I'm about an hour out waiting for a load of antifreeze. I think I'm waiting on everyone to eat lunch or something.

Got the load back this morning. Followed that up with offloading wax at a local plant. Now I'm about an hour out waiting for a load of antifreeze. I think I'm waiting on everyone to eat lunch or something.
Sounds like you are doing an awesome job. We raced in Joliet IL last week and now I just arrived at the Topeka KS track for this weekend and then I go to Bristol TN for next week and then up to Norwalk OH for the following weekend. After that there is a week off so I will just head on out to the Epping NH track and park the hauler and relax for a few days on the east coast. I will need it because after the Epping race I have to drive all the way back to the shop in southern CA to trade out a couple of bodies with new wraps and reload with new parts before heading to Denver. Maybe our paths will cross when I'm going across 80.:)

Last edited:
I gotta tell you..... Antifreeze hauling is an experience. Man, that stuff moves. Caused more than a form grip on the steering wheel a few times. The last 20 miles or so to my home terminal is two lane, lots of curves, and hilly. Not the idea place to be hauling anything letalone something not secure.

Today's agenda is only two local preloads. Probably less than 10 miles total. Today's hourly work. Lots of sitting around. That's not so bad sometimes. They may have more for me to do if I can get this next load on quick. Finished the first preload an hour or so ago. This place is running a little behind. Their buck not mine. It's all good.

Sounds like you are doing an awesome job. We raced in Joliet IL last week and now I just arrived at the Topeka KS track for this weekend and then I go to Bristol TN for next week and then up to Norwalk OH for the following weekend. After that there is a week off so I will just head on out to the Epping NH track and park the hauler and relax for a few days on the east coast. I will need it because after the Epping race I have to drive all the way back to the shop in southern CA to trade out a couple of bodies with new wraps and reload with new parts before heading to Denver. Maybe our paths will cross when I'm going across 80.:)
Let's of miles in that paragraph.

I'm based about 17 miles south of exit #42 i80 PA.

Just curious, but a trailer load of wax? In liquid or solid form? Thinking it is liquid since you picked up anti-freeze. If wax is liquid, is it heated to maximize off loading? And what makes the anti-freeze so unstable compared to other liquids? inquiring mind is all. Just trying to get as much from your experiences as possible.
Meantime, keep the posts coming. Really do enjoy them.

Just curious, but a trailer load of wax? In liquid or solid form? Thinking it is liquid since you picked up anti-freeze. If wax is liquid, is it heated to maximize off loading? And what makes the anti-freeze so unstable compared to other liquids? inquiring mind is all. Just trying to get as much from your experiences as possible.
Meantime, keep the posts coming. Really do enjoy them.
Yes, the wax is hauled at about 200 degrees. When the tanker was originally delivered the wax was not at the proper temperature. It wasn't hot enough to get it all out of the tanker. So, they parked the tanker there overnight running stream through the pipes that surround the tanker just under the skin you see when they travel down the road. There are a series of pipes and insulation under the skin. Once they brought the tanker full of wax up to temp, they called us to come hook up to it and move it to where it could be offloaded. That's where I came in. I bobtailed over there and hooked up. Moved it for them and they offloaded it.

The weight and viscosity determine it's movement. Antifreeze is thin making it move a lot as the truck starts, stops, turns, brakes. It seems like it takes very little movement by the truck to make the antifreeze surge, big time. Every single time I started it stopped moving it continued to knock me around in my seat. I had to press hard on the brakes at stop lights to stay stationary. If someone from another vehicle sitting beside me would have looked at me they could have seen me getting tossed around in my seat.

Take a clear bottle half full of some kind of liquid. Hold it sideways in you hand. Start moving it in one direction and then stop moving. Watch what the liquid does. That's what's happening behind me. What makes it more intimidating is that I can't see it. I haven't learned yet when to anticipate the hit. At some point I'll learn that.

The surge also plays part in how you enter and exit turns hauling a tanker. You really have to get slowed down before and not in the turn. The liquid is already going to be riding high on the outside of the turn. Like when you turn right, it's running up the left hand side of the tank. If you as hard braking on top of that, now all the liquid is riding high left and in the front. Not a good combination unless you want to roll over.

I do feel for the people riding behind me sometimes. I'm not going slow because I'm getting older. I'm just trying to be safe. For everyone and the environment. 6000 gallons of antifreeze uncontained can't be a good thing for anyone or anything.

It does get tough driving defensively all day long. The stress level gets high when motorists cut you off. They don't always realize what we do to try and protect them from themselves. It's amazing what some of these people are doing in their cars traveling down the road. Some truckers too. The Super Truckers. There are a lot of a holes out there.

Really appreciate the explanations re: wax unloading and pulling anti-freeze citing why it might be different from other liquids.
I got a minor, very minor, education in liquids, acting, reacting, when learning to drive the tanker fire truck. The water, even with baffles, sloshing around created an entirely new set of circumstances which in turn, required a completely different set of driving skills. Although after going through the training process I was to be assigned as a driver, never actually drove during a call-out. I lived two miles from the fire house and by the time I got there thee trucks were usually pulling out or already gone.

During my three month skit of driving tractor-trailer with coils of rolled spring steel on a flat bed trailer was not to much different than a regular trailer load as it wasn't exceptionally top heavy but the biggest fear was the hitting something and having the binding come undone, the coils rushing forward and crushing this gnat-sized guy like a fly swatter.
I can honestly understand the stress involved in driving with an unstable load. As my friend likes to say, ''I was so stressed out and puckered up you couldn't put a toothpick up my butt!"
Actually, he tends to be a bit more graphic in his description but I felt tempering it might be best. ;)
Keep the reports coming!! Good fun to read!

Yes, the wax is hauled at about 200 degrees. When the tanker was originally delivered the wax was not at the proper temperature. It wasn't hot enough to get it all out of the tanker. So, they parked the tanker there overnight running stream through the pipes that surround the tanker just under the skin you see when they travel down the road. There are a series of pipes and insulation under the skin. Once they brought the tanker full of wax up to temp, they called us to come hook up to it and move it to where it could be offloaded. That's where I came in. I bobtailed over there and hooked up. Moved it for them and they offloaded it.

The weight and viscosity determine it's movement. Antifreeze is thin making it move a lot as the truck starts, stops, turns, brakes. It seems like it takes very little movement by the truck to make the antifreeze surge, big time. Every single time I started it stopped moving it continued to knock me around in my seat. I had to press hard on the brakes at stop lights to stay stationary. If someone from another vehicle sitting beside me would have looked at me they could have seen me getting tossed around in my seat.

Take a clear bottle half full of some kind of liquid. Hold it sideways in you hand. Start moving it in one direction and then stop moving. Watch what the liquid does. That's what's happening behind me. What makes it more intimidating is that I can't see it. I haven't learned yet when to anticipate the hit. At some point I'll learn that.

The surge also plays part in how you enter and exit turns hauling a tanker. You really have to get slowed down before and not in the turn. The liquid is already going to be riding high on the outside of the turn. Like when you turn right, it's running up the left hand side of the tank. If you as hard braking on top of that, now all the liquid is riding high left and in the front. Not a good combination unless you want to roll over.

I do feel for the people riding behind me sometimes. I'm not going slow because I'm getting older. I'm just trying to be safe. For everyone and the environment. 6000 gallons of antifreeze uncontained can't be a good thing for anyone or anything.

It does get tough driving defensively all day long. The stress level gets high when motorists cut you off. They don't always realize what we do to try and protect them from themselves. It's amazing what some of these people are doing in their cars traveling down the road. Some truckers too. The Super Truckers. There are a lot of a holes out there.
I really appreciate your description in this thread. It really helps for a better understanding of what you deal with. I know I would sometimes get frustrated getting stuck behind tankers thinking "geeze buddy aren't you being a little too careful"

I really appreciate your description in this thread. It really helps for a better understanding of what you deal with. I know I would sometimes get frustrated getting stuck behind tankers thinking "geeze buddy aren't you being a little too careful"
Or at the very least, as I've been there, can't they just pull over and let us by? No, no we can't. I guess that I'm off the thought that if you're upset because you're behind me, maybe you should have left a little earlier to give yourself time to get where you're going.

Yeah, we all get frustrated when we're in a hurry. Sometimes the ball of my foot starts hurting from pushing the pedal down so hard to try to get this thing moving faster. Never works. I think I've even got the floor dented underneath the pedal. :mad:

So..... Right now I'm pulled in a building while they unload 6000+ gallons of waste water. No, not from a septic system but it's probably worse though. It's water once it's been used to clean out soiled tankers after hauling a product. Unless they are dedicated tankers to a specific product, they have to be completely cleaned between uses. The water that runs out of them in the process of cleaning is collected and then hauled to a treatment facility to be cleaned. That's where I am now. Every 24 hours at our tank wash facility, about 5000-7000 gallon of waste water is produced.

Dedicated tankers may only have to be cleaned after every 3-5 loads. Depends on the product and customer. I'm only talking chemicals here. I don't work with food grade products but I know those have to be cleaned after each use. On the food grade side, our drivers never actually work directly with the product. Someone else fills and emptys it. In most cases for me w/chemicals, someone else loads and unloads but there are times where I have to do it. I wish I didn't but that's all part of the job.

Back to what I've got going on here currently..... The offload of waste water continues. It's simply being offloaded by gravity. A discharge hose is connected. The dome lid is opened. The discharge valve is then opened and the product flows. It's going through a 3" line. Only 2" & 3" lines are used by us. Speaking of which..... Hoses along with fittings used during the load and offload processes also have to be cleaned just like the tanker does. Heck, even my tractors onboard product pump has to be cleaned between uses. Hoses and fittings are capped after use. The Caps also have to be cleaned. Anything that touches product has to be cleaned.

Enough about cleaning. It's only reminding me that laundry needs to be done when I get home today. Laundry being done..... Now that's a misnomer. I mean, is laundry ever really done?

Someday in the near future I'll tell you a little about this damn thing. It can be a curse or a godsend.

e5da7646070b22b4169bbafa2092d967.jpg

I seriously doubt the average person such as myself, ever has a clue what must be done to properly maintain tankers, etc.. I had no idea it was this strict or involved. I seem to recall trailers pulling product from M&M/MARS factory, in the town where I use to live and had my businesses, required them to be steam cleaned.
Every day you would see trailer after trailer bring in liquid product for the manufacture of candy.

Purchased an inverter yesterday to have installed in my truck next week. 2000w Cont/4000w Peak. It'll run my small microwave and little flat screen. It'll be nice to be able to heat some food and have a little entertainment. They're also going to replace the windshield.

Even though I just started working, I've got a vacation coming up starting next Wednesday. My better half and I are heading to the beach for a week and a half. It's been a crazy six months since getting laid off my last job of 25 years, 35+ in the medical industry. A lot of changes over that time so I am ready to kick back and watch the sun rise over the Atlantic for 11 mornings. Me, my wife, my dog, good food, multiple cases of beer, an assortment of wine, a variety of other sealed adult beverages & not getting behind the wheel. Now, if the weather will just cooperate.

Today I only have one preload on the schedule. Going to yet another place I've never been. It's only about 3-4 hours out and back and 2 hours or so to load. Not a long day but that's welcomed on a Friday. Lots to do around the house.

HEY !! DPK !! Have a great, relaxing, fun filled, well deserved vacation. Just sitting on the beach and watching the sun come up or in the evening, listening to the waves come to the shore. Sooooooooo relaxing. Have a great time !!
Don't lose your writing skills as I'll be looking forward to your reports after this interlude.

HEY !! DPK !! Have a great, relaxing, fun filled, well deserved vacation. Just sitting on the beach and watching the sun come up or in the evening, listening to the waves come to the shore. Sooooooooo relaxing. Have a great time !!
Don't lose your writing skills as I'll be looking forward to your reports after this interlude.
Yeah, we've got an awesome campsite. Staying on Assateaque Island. Snagged a site next to the dune that separates us from the beach. The living side of our 5er will be facing the ocean. From the height of our bedroom the waves will be within sight. The sounds of the surf can be heard throughout the night. Can't wait.

I actually got another preload today. Looks like I'll get in a full day after all. Just as I was unhooking from this mornings tanker I got a message over the Qualcomm. (The Pic I Posted a Couple Posts Up). The messages are kinda like little emails that fill your inbox. For a preload, I get 5 messages.

Start Trip
Trailer Pickup
Arrive @ Shipper
Shipment Pickup
Drop Trailer

Start Trip - I select the Reply option on this and all messages. I have to fill in things like the trailer number, date and time.

Trailer Pickup - The Reply to this is similar. I enter all of the above and include the license plate number along with the truck number..... This insures that it is the correct trailer hooked up to the correct truck. These things MUST MATCH. If they don't, I'll get rejected at the Shipper.

Arrive @ Shipper - A simple Reply and Send will do with this message. It's just verification via an onboard GPS locater on both the truck and trailer that I'm at the proper location.

Shipment Pickup -.I have to Reply with the Arrive Date & Time, Start Load Date & Time and Finish Date & Time. Also the Gross, Tare & Net Weights along with the Odometer reading.

Drop Trailer -. Reply with Trailer, Truck numbers. Date & Time.

That's what's done for a preload trailer. If I were delivering it as well as taking the trailer to a tank wash, there'd be several more messages to Reply to. Each time I reply, it will notify my dispatcher, shipper and consignee along with corporate tracking.

Then there's the paperwork. Pretty much all the same stuff, only in written form.

This the the process for now. I understand that at the beginning of next year, it'll be totally different. Progress, right?

Oh, I failed to mention that this preload is from a rail car tanker. I only hope they shut of the valve in time as my tanker is dwarfed by comparison.

Hope your stay at the beach was enjoyable and relaxing. Keep the posts coming regarding your ventures with the new occupation.

Hauling wax today. At least that's what they're calling it. It says Petroleum on my paperwork.

7000 gallons worth. 7000 is my trailers maximum capacity so this should be a smooth ride to my next destination. Fine by me for it being my first load in a week and a half.

There's absolutely nothing straight forward about the protocol at this location. Nothing in writing anywhere that I can see and people are hesitant to answer questions. They sure like to let you know when you're not doing something right though. Oh well, I'll learn the ropes of this place by that means then. Some places seem to expect you to know everything even though no two places are alike.

I'm about to take a quick exit from my truck to hit a portajohn that's within sight. That may not be allowed here either but I'm about to find out. :D

7000 gallons of water weighs 58,380 pounds, how much does the wax weigh per gallon?

That's a lot of weight for sure.
It's lighter than water but by how much I don't know. I would have made note if the meet weight should I have seen you post earlier. I'll get the load again. I'll let you know what I find out.

Looks like I've got a load going to Olive Branch Mississippi tomorrow. My first longer haul. Having taken off the last week and a half or so the $'s well be welcomed.

I won't be leaving until later in the day. Not really looking forward to that but it is what it is I guess.

So..... Spent the night in the truck just north of Cincinnati. 539 miles to drive today if possible. Easily enough done if everything cooperates.

I'm pulling a loaded triple compartment trailer with two products. Two of the compartments containing the same product. Both are a Petroleum based products. They're going to a cosmetic product plant. I'm going to have to offload these compartments using my onboard air compressor. One at a time. It'll take a while because of having to hook/unhook hoses several times to each tanker outlet/plant inlet. The delivery is for the first thing in the morning Thursday. Once done, I'll be empty heading back to PA. If all goes as planned, I should be home Friday late afternoon.

One thing that sucks is waiting for my clock to reset so I can start driving again. 43 more minutes before I can hit the road today. A fuel stop and a 30 minute break along the way where I then hope to be at tonight's destination by 6pm et.

So..... Spent the night in the truck just north of Cincinnati. 539 miles to drive today if possible. Easily enough done if everything cooperates.

I'm pulling a loaded triple compartment trailer with two products. Two of the compartments containing the same product. Both are a Petroleum based products. They're going to a cosmetic product plant. I'm going to have to offload these compartments using my onboard air compressor. One at a time. It'll take a while because of having to hook/unhook hoses several times to each tanker outlet/plant inlet. The delivery is for the first thing in the morning Thursday. Once done, I'll be empty heading back to PA. If all goes as planned, I should be home Friday late afternoon.

One thing that sucks is waiting for my clock to reset so I can start driving again. 43 more minutes before I can hit the road today. A fuel stop and a 30 minute break along the way where I then hope to be at tonight's destination by 6pm et.
The ELD sure can be a pain in the azzzz.;) After our race last weekend in Norwalk OH I went back to the track on Mon just to hang out and watch some of the cars testing. I think I watched 2 cars and then decided to get in the sleeper and take a short nap that turned into a 6 hour nap.:) I pulled out of the track around 8.30 Mon night just as it started to rain and had heavy rain all the way to Scranton PA. I pulled into the Petro truck stop in Scranton around 6.00 Tues morning and left there around 8.30 pm. I drove to Maybrook NY and got the hauler washed and then drove to the TA truck stop about 15 miles from the Epping NH track to fuel up before I parked the hauler at the track. I pulled into the fuel island at the TA at 6.15 am and then found out that they were having computer problems and I had to wait for an hour and a half before I could fuel.:( Now I'm parked in stacking at the track and waiting for Enterprise to bring me a rental car and then I can get checked into the hotel for a relaxing week off before I park in the pits next Wed.:D

Sure kicks the devil out of the thought some people have that truck drivers sit on their butt all day and drive. :rolleyes: A week of sitting around New Hampshire might not be too bad as there are plenty of things to see and do although they might involve some, can you spell, driving? ;)

Made it to Memphis today. 512 miles. Going to sleep in there truck at our Memphis Terminal but first a shower. They have a decent facility here with a clean shower. Already had a dinner if roast beef, mashed potatoes and corn. Not a bad microwave meal.

Leaving here at 530 tomorrow morning to go stage at the delivery facility. After delivery I'll turn around and head back to PA. I hope to get in 400 or so miles tomorrow after offloading. That will make a much shorter drive on Friday to get home. I'll be hauling an empty so that should cut down on the time.

Back
Top Bottom