I need a hat, a chain for my wallet & a can of snuff.

Just out of curiosity, when they steam a load to bring it back to temperature, how is that done? By steaming the exterior of the trailer or are there pipes in a loop between trailer interior and exterior walls and through the insulation that steam passes through to warm the product?

Just out of curiosity, when they steam a load to bring it back to temperature, how is that done? By steaming the exterior of the trailer or are there pipes in a loop between trailer interior and exterior walls and through the insulation that steam passes through to warm the product?
Yep the tubing wraps around the inner tank you can't see. That surrounded by three insulation and then the skin you to see. They feed the hot steam through that system. It never contacts the product but it will heat it up rather quickly.

The company that I used to drive for used in transit heat utilizing the coolant fluids through that same tubing. That would keep most loads at the desired temperature. Why they don't do that with this company, I don't know. That would save them some $'s over paying to have it steamed at a tank cleaning service/tank wash.

Other products, than oil, can require a much higher temp. In that case, you have to use steam. I used to haul chemicals and other hazmat liquids. I've hauled some products that they've had people come out inn what resembles space suits unload the product due to temp and inhalation hazards. Mainly, hot plastics. They are hauled hot and steamed to be hotter before offloading.

I kind of figured that is how it was heated. The idea of using engine temperature heating to maintain temps of load is an interesting concept and I also wonder why your company might not use it. I'm sure there is a reason only the top echelon would rationalize and being lower on the totem pole is not recognized as having the ability to use what seems like common sense, especially when hauling into different parts of North America that you do in all seasons. Oh well, that's why they make the big bucks.

Cleared Customs, rolling again!

A Regina, SK morning. More flat lands..

31D81B80-3886-4C8A-BD09-9ACFE98A4457.jpeg

How much fuel do you use when sitting and it is that cold? Do you carry extra clothing in case the ruck breaks down? That sure is some flat country.

How much fuel do you use when sitting and it is that cold? Do you carry extra clothing in case the ruck breaks down? That sure is some flat country.
I went through about 50 gallons. I had the idle bumped up from 650rpm to just under 1000rpm to producer heat. And it was still cool.

I carry some extreme weather clothing. Most places I am outside the truck for the entire offloading process. This Edmonton delivery is one of those locations. It'll take over two hours here. I've delivered here as cold as -27 degrees. Every inch has to be covered.

Dusting of snow overnight in Edmonton. Currently experiencing a heatwave on this side of Canada. 12 degrees this morning.

804833E8-6EB9-4FB2-B89F-42727D7A30D8.jpeg

Delivered yesterday. Was a long delay because of some paperwork issues. Spent over 5 hours at the customer. Something was handwritten by the shipper that they wanted typed.

My reset is complete at 0530. Headed to Chicago next.

Today's route to the border crossing at Portal, ND and yes temps are Fahrenheit.

847F9D7C-A979-4A06-A59A-FF311E535D54.png

Delivered yesterday. Was a long delay because of some paperwork issues. Spent over 5 hours at the customer. Something was handwritten by the shipper that they wanted typed.

My reset is complete at 0530. Headed to Chicago next.

Today's route to the border crossing at Portal, ND and yes temps are Fahrenheit.

View attachment 68116
**** that.

Great pictures. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I know to you it might be a bit of routine and possibly seen these scenes before but to me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, these are great pictures of roadways in North America. I really appreciate them. 👍

Well, looks like once I get back to Chicago in the morning I've got a preload to do later in the afternoon followed by another trip back to Edmonton. Hopefully I can get lucky with the weather twice. From Edmonton I should be headed to the house later next week.

If your schedule gets you home next week, how long do you lay over? Seems like you've been out quite awhile already.

If your schedule gets you home next week, how long do you lay over? Seems like you've been out quite awhile already.
I will probably stay home for 4 to 5 days. I haven’t decided yet. This time of the year I like to run longer just because I don’t have as much to do at home.I will probably stay home for 4 to 5 days. I haven’t decided yet. This time of the year I like to run longer just because I don’t have as much to do at home. in the summer months, we like to do a lot of camping. So, I try to get home more. For that and all the outside work around the house.

this afternoon‘s pre-load was canceled. That works out well for me as I was able to hook to my preloaded trailer and I’m already heading in the direction of Edmonton. I should be up there by Sunday morning. I don’t know when I deliver yet. It’ll probably be Monday morning. in any event, I will have to do a reset there to get hours back so I can go home.

my stopping point today will be just east of Minneapolis Saint Paul, Minnesota. I am only about four hours from ending my day.

Well, looks like once I get back to Chicago in the morning I've got a preload to do later in the afternoon followed by another trip back to Edmonton. Hopefully I can get lucky with the weather twice. From Edmonton I should be headed to the house later next week.
Guess you haven't been to the West Edmonton Mall. It used to be a big deal. Not sure if it still is.
I was there in the 90's

Made it to Moose Jaw, SK today. Took advantage of the extra two hours that they give you to drive in Canada. Drove 12hrs 40min logging 821.5 miles today. Averaged just under 65mph for the day.

Back out on the road today. A great week at home but not much relaxing. Remodeled the master bath while home. I pulled out the old flooring, repainted, put down a new tile floor, new throne, vanity top, new heated vanity mirror and the faucet set replaced. Still waiting on the ceiling vent/light and some other hardware for the walls. I’ll finish it off the next time I’m home.

Heading down to West Virginia to load today and then out by Philadelphia to offload tomorrow morning. I then get to go back and pick up my truck after it’s service. Been waiting over a month to get it back. Hoping that they fixed my laundry list of issues. I’ll be swapping trucks tomorrow morning after my delivery. That’s always a PITA. While you wouldn’t think, there’s a lot of stuff to transfer and set back up. Normally it takes me about three hours to swap out and days to get everything back in order.

That remodel of the bathroom is a real PITA. Did it here in 2016. When my Bride and I first retired and left New Jersey, we moved to Wake Forest, NC, and we spent seven years on projects to get that place the way we wanted it only to sell seven years later and buy a thirty year old house that had no upgrades since construction. We remodeled large portions of that house plus built and did things to make my work garage the way I wanted it. When we moved to Florida we knew going in this place needed some work and I got busy until getting to the master bath and by then, my "internal remodel meter" was running out of desire to do any more. It was time to stop busting my grunions doing remodeling. Mind you, most of these projects were my idea and a few, very few, requests from my Bride. But I'd had enough and ended up getting my neighbor to help set the vanity and tile the floor. The rest I did but no more!! I'm signed off on home projects.

Not sure why I got involved in that soliloqy but do want you to know I find it interesting in your adventures. Looking forward to more pictures of your "road trips," as if they are all pleasurable. :rolleyes:

That remodel of the bathroom is a real PITA. Did it here in 2016. When my Bride and I first retired and left New Jersey, we moved to Wake Forest, NC, and we spent seven years on projects to get that place the way we wanted it only to sell seven years later and buy a thirty year old house that had no upgrades since construction. We remodeled large portions of that house plus built and did things to make my work garage the way I wanted it. When we moved to Florida we knew going in this place needed some work and I got busy until getting to the master bath and by then, my "internal remodel meter" was running out of desire to do any more. It was time to stop busting my grunions doing remodeling. Mind you, most of these projects were my idea and a few, very few, requests from my Bride. But I'd had enough and ended up getting my neighbor to help set the vanity and tile the floor. The rest I did but no more!! I'm signed off on home projects.

Not sure why I got involved in that soliloqy but do want you to know I find it interesting in your adventures. Looking forward to more pictures of your "road trips," as if they are all pleasurable. :rolleyes:
I like to do the remodeling projects. We’ve been wanting to redo the master bath for some time now. I brought it up again talking with her last week. I told her if she could pick out the tile I’d get it done over my extended weekend. It probably took her longer to pick out the tile than it did for me to install.

Today I’m at Shell in West Virginia. Waiting in line to load now. It normally doesn’t take too long here. I’m heading just north of Philly after this. I’ll be parked at the customers gate for the night. They’ll probably be knocking on my door around 0400 tomorrow. Fine by me. I want to get this delivered so I can get to my truck about an hour away from my delivery point. I’m anxious to see if they got everything fixed.

Back out on the road today. A great week at home but not much relaxing. Remodeled the master bath while home. I pulled out the old flooring, repainted, put down a new tile floor, new throne, vanity top, new heated vanity mirror and the faucet set replaced. Still waiting on the ceiling vent/light and some other hardware for the walls. I’ll finish it off the next time I’m home.

Heading down to West Virginia to load today and then out by Philadelphia to offload tomorrow morning. I then get to go back and pick up my truck after it’s service. Been waiting over a month to get it back. Hoping that they fixed my laundry list of issues. I’ll be swapping trucks tomorrow morning after my delivery. That’s always a PITA. While you wouldn’t think, there’s a lot of stuff to transfer and set back up. Normally it takes me about three hours to swap out and days to get everything back in order.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember how much stuff I had to unload when I retired at the end of the 2019 season after using the same truck for 5 years. :D

Todays load is a four compartment trailer. Two different products. 3000+ gallons of PZL 0W20and 3000+ gallons of QS 0W20. The shipper knows exactly what I am to have loaded from the order number. I simply have to tell them how much and in which compartment. I’m responsible for distributing the load. It’s more common sense than it is math to determine where you want to place the product. More of the sausage recipe…..

0BFF54CF-3592-484D-A22C-6A5F5F5FF481.jpeg

Do you get to pick and choose what and where you might want to deliver or is there a pre-determined list that you know and must follow?

Do you get to pick and choose what and where you might want to deliver or is there a pre-determined list that you know and must follow?
I’m sometimes given choices but most are simply assigned. Some loads are better than others. More miles are always a good thing. I’m good with anything that keeps me moving. Miles are money!

Back
Top Bottom