I want the white and black hats to return to NASCAR

Hello, there are a lot of young members on this forum. You're talking to the fan base they WANT to attract to the races.

I have loved NASCAR since I was about three years old.
Then why aren't there more at the track? Why is NASCAR trying to compete with the NFL in October and November? Last week was a playoff race and there were more empty seats than full ones.

You offer no solution, you just rattle off the same rhetoric. If you and Spotter are so connected to NASCAR, know so much about the ins and outs why is NASCAR losing the younger fans and people of my generation?
We lost you?

You offer no solution, you just rattle off the same rhetoric. If you and Spotter are so connected to NASCAR, know so much about the ins and outs why is NASCAR losing the younger fans and people of my generation?
how about I don't care, does that work for ya, it ain't my job, they have absolutely no bearing on me watching the race. Why don't you start a thread about it instead of junking up the whole damn forum that is something the flat earthers would be interested in.

By in large NASCAR races are shorter then they used to be but I agree kids dont have the attention span anymore. All it takes is to watch them walk around with thier collective noses pointed towards their phones. Dirt cars are cool but also a Cup car coming by at full song is a thing of beauty
NASCAR isn't going to be appealing until they get rid of the gimmicks (everyone sees through it including kids), the races need to be shorter, and the points system needs to be simple, just like at the short tracks.

Reactions: sky
NASCAR isn't going to be appealing until they get rid of the gimmicks (everyone sees through it including kids), the races need to be shorter, and the points system needs to be simple, just like at the short tracks.
start your own thread, go to the podium, who freakin cares, the topic here is rivalries in the sport

Feuds aren't going to make NASCAR better, good racing and being able to identify with the manufacturers will.
If all else stays the same, feuds will help attract more viewers. I completely agree with the latter part of your post fwiw.

Instead of bringing back the black hats or white hats, just allow the drivers to express their opinion even if it isn't the corporately approved one. That's what made the sport interesting in the past and shakes things up and brings about change.

I hope the above post has enough substance for those that have been critiquing my post and have found them lacking. If not, you don't expect much anyway so no skin off my back...LMAO.

FF106824-7450-4AB9-9BD6-A38D8D9D42DE.jpeg
This is the only black hat I miss.....saying that bad guy vs good guys and driver feuds arnt the reason I tune each week to watch, I don’t need an angle to hook me. The racing itself has been good enough to keep me entertained.Now within that realm you would think some drivers would get pissed at each other due to hard racing and keep that going from week to week but since that doesn’t really happen anymore (Earnhardt vs Geoff Bodine. YouTube) the racing itself is just fine for me. When KDB does his heel persona it does crack me up and helps with keeping me engaged, I’ve always said that dude is worth the price of admission.

They can't manufacture a rivalry. And I don't tune in to see a couple drivers jawing at each other. I think back to the Earnhardt/Bodine rivalry and remember the two of them taking each other out of the race a number of times; it didn't do anything good for the race.

Then why aren't there more at the track? Why is NASCAR trying to compete with the NFL in October and November? Last week was a playoff race and there were more empty seats than full ones.

I think there are more young people at the races than you think. NASCAR has been experimenting with the college sections and lower, more reasonably priced tickets at Richmond and Kentucky. Some folks don't have the patience for NASCAR or racing in general being such a niche sport.

A nice amount at Daytona, but I think INDYCAR at St. Petersburg shocked me the most with so many young folks my age at the race.

I think there are more young people at the races than you think. NASCAR has been experimenting with the college sections and lower, more reasonably priced tickets at Richmond and Kentucky. Some folks don't have the patience for NASCAR or racing in general being such a niche sport.

A nice amount at Daytona, but I think INDYCAR at St. Petersburg shocked me the most with so many young folks my age at the race.
I've seen more younger people at the races in the last few years, and growing every year, than I would of believed if I just went by whats posted on here. Also the increase in the diversity of the fans at the races is encouraging. A lot of the naysayers don't attend races, according to them, so how would they know.

I've seen more younger people at the races in the last few years, and growing every year, than I would of believed if I just went by whats posted on here. Also the increase in the diversity of the fans at the races is encouraging. A lot of the naysayers don't attend races, according to them, so how would they know.

they count them when the cars flash by the stands from their chairs? Or they read cut and paste articles from reporters who aren't there.?

Instead of bringing back the black hats or white hats, just allow the drivers to express their opinion even if it isn't the corporately approved one. That's what made the sport interesting in the past and shakes things up and brings about change.

I hope the above post has enough substance for those that have been critiquing my post and have found them lacking. If not, you don't expect much anyway so no skin off my back...LMAO.
They can say what they want as long as its not profane or hurts the sport.

We need Vince McMahon to offer some courses on rivalries to drivers in the off season. Oh yeah!

The only person who brought up substance is on your ignore list, so that function may not be working. However, your hope is not in vain. I would never single out this post as being a vacuous embarrassment (until the last line, but it's okay).

When someone is motivated by extreme bitterness, it shows, and other people tend to react accordingly. Such people often view themselves as perpetually aggrieved and victimized. Let up on the bitterness, and the negative reactions it invites largely go away.

In terms of the content you offered, I would find this an easy sentiment to agree with, broadly speaking. I agree with you that drivers have been overly muzzled and pressured to toe the line. My only pushback would be how does this instance of "it was better in the past" comport with your general view that those who look backward are the problem?

With respect to drivers being muzzled do you think that is the primary doing of the sponsors?

Also what do you think the drivers would like to say that they don’t feel at liberty to say?

Kyle Busch seems to have streaks where he speaks is mind but then remains silent for stretches of time.

It was only the cowards like Hambone and Carl that made a big effort to try and intimidate Kez.
They recognized that he was going to be a real threat in cup.
I guess Kez being a champion shows the two losers were right.
Did you watch him race in that series? Kez was almost perfect - from a Days of Thunder perspective, or maybe he did hit the pacecar. He damn sure hit everything else. For at least part of the time he was teammates with Justin Algier (sp?) who was nicknamed the L'il Gator. At my house we referred to Keselowski as the L'il 'Dozer (as in bulldozer). That was a fun series to watch during those days. He's always been fun to watch, great talent, always a threat to win. Completely changed his approach when he came to cup. Might have had something to do with riding that catch fence.

I don't have a favorite manufacturer, I don't pull for, or against, any particular driver, so why do I watch? I don't care if a driver wins by a tenth of a second, or laps the field. (Which can't happen because of various things.) I don't watch because I want to see crashes, so why do I watch? I watch because I like to see how the drivers attack the track, then make adjustments to get faster. I watch to see how drivers attack, or defend against other drivers. I watch to see how crew chiefs will change their strategy, in order to give their drivers the best chance to win. To me, a rivalry means nothing, because there are thirty eight other drivers out there trying to win. The race is the thing, it's why I watch.

And you can't identify a brand when all the cars look the same unless the camera zooms in on the front end. Who says these changes are going to make the racing better? You don't know that, messing with the good racing we have now is equivalent to fixing something that isn't broken. By completely changing the racing package rather than making small adjustments is a desperate measure by Nascar and a foolish one.
Haven't been able to tell the difference on cars the last 20 years or more.
It's even difficult to tell a Hyundai from a Honda looking at the symbol. :D

If the points system was any easier the math students today without a calculator still could not tally the totals.

They can say what they want as long as its not profane or hurts the sport.

"Hurts the sport" in NASCAR's opinion - which has a very thin skin when a driver chats about anything that isn't the party line.

"Hurts the sport" in NASCAR's opinion - which has a very thin skin when a driver chats about anything that isn't the party line.

what is the party line? Is that like the chat line? You might try listening to the radioactive thread, I post them every week.

I guess you forgot about the fine Keselowski got for making comments about fuel injection...LOL! He wasn't chatting it up along the party line.

..and I think it was Hamlin.
Hambone was fined in 2013 - yep, over five years ago - for comments about the Gen 6 car. His comments were pretty benign, and the fine was an obvious Nascar blunder for which they were widely criticized. I can't recall *any* Nascar fine for controversial or detrimental comments since then.

(Kez was fined in 2011 - that's seven years ago - for comments about fuel injection. This fine was also somewhat controversial.)

If some are going to ride this horse of Nascar muzzling the drivers and thus ruining the sport, one would hope they could come up with something more recent than seven years or five years.

Personally, my take on drivers being muzzled is that loud-mouthed fans on social media are the primary muzzling agent. Sponsors maybe get uncomfortable if a driver becomes a complete ass, but fans on Twitter, Reddit, et al are quick and ruthless to skewer any driver who says or does anything other than thanking the guys back at the shop.

IDK what fans want drivers to say that they feel they can’t. Is it the “bug eyed dummy” stuff that is missed? Kyle Busch’s comments after winning in the CoT?

Hambone was fined in 2013 - yep, over five years ago - for comments about the Gen 6 car. His comments were pretty benign, and the fine was an obvious Nascar blunder for which they were widely criticized. I can't recall *any* Nascar fine for controversial or detrimental comments since then.

(Kez was fined in 2011 - that's seven years ago - for comments about fuel injection. This fine was also somewhat controversial.)

If some are going to ride this horse of Nascar muzzling the drivers and thus ruining the sport, one would hope they could come up with something more recent than seven years or five years.

Personally, my take on drivers being muzzled is that loud-mouthed fans on social media are the primary muzzling agent. Sponsors maybe get uncomfortable if a driver becomes a complete ass, but fans on Twitter, Reddit, et al are quick and ruthless to skewer any driver who says or does anything other than thanking the guys back at the shop.

There have been plenty of comments from drivers pro and con lately about next year for example also. I didn't get it either. But the days of unleashing a bunch of cuss words when interviewed, those days have all but vanished in all sporting venues. In the radioactive thread some drivers are featured every week bleeping away if a person is looking for that kind of thing.

If fan turnout is as low as some of y'all say it is lets bring a cup race to Bowman Gray stadium. That'll give you something to talk about for the rest of the year.

If fan turnout is as low as some of y'all say it is lets bring a cup race to Bowman Gray stadium. That'll give you something to talk about for the rest of the year.
Discovery Channel to film Bowman Gray racing this season

The Discovery Channel, which has already started filming some of the high-profile drivers of the Modified Division, will be following the action this season starting on April 21.
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/d...cle_caf2673f-0eba-53f2-a0ef-4a37cac22d29.html

Has nothing to do with the car, we are losing the younger generation, Grass root tracks all over the country are closing or are about to close because the kids dont care to go anymore.

As a young lad, I used to sit in front of my house and watch the cars and trucks go by. I could identify every one without fail, and many times, although not always, simply by the sound of the engine. I'm not sure when it happened, I suppose around the time when aerodynamics became important, cars began looking quite similar and evolved until they became what they are today, almost identical in appearance.
The thing is, when we were kids one of the bigger events of the fall, aside from Halloween, was waiting to see the new model year Ford, Chevy and Chrysler, Hudson and Studebaker brands.
Todays youth do not have that option. Until perhaps ten years ago, a Mercedes would stand out but now the only way you can tell a Mercedes from a BMW, or any other brand of car, is if someone looks at the badging.
Kids do not know the thrill of waiting to see what changes were made for the upcoming model year and now only look at a car as a mode of transportation. And with increasing populations in more heavily populated ares with mass transit, really do not need a car. I was surprised when my grandsons, all of driving age, told me how many kids they knew who are old enough but have no interest in driving.
With that attitude, auto racing is losing whether it be NASCAR or the local track.

Sorry about the length, but sometimes an old man simply needs to try to refresh his memory. ;)

Often times the new models would be covered up until the official unveiling at the dealership. Dealerships would have have events during the evening and showing the new models and it was a big deal.

Whenever anyone in the neighborhood got a new car it was a neighborhood event as everyone gathered around and checked it out. Happy days and happy memories.

Often times the new models would be covered up until the official unveiling at the dealership. Dealerships would have have events during the evening and showing the new models and it was a big deal.
Whenever anyone in the neighborhood got a new car it was a neighborhood event as everyone gathered around and checked it out. Happy days and happy memories.

The local Chevrolet dealer had a garage that was quite deep. The new cars were unloaded at night - at least it seemed that way - and placed in the rear of the building, covered, until the official introduction of the new year models. Many is th time we tried to sneak to the rear of the building to look at the new cars but usually were stopped by the employees. Special excitement and something that made you very popular for one day anyway, was if you were lucky enough to spot a new model before the official introduction and get to be the first one in school to tell about the changes.
Nowadays the changes are in the changes between an iPhone 8 and aniPhone 10 or whatever the newest iPhone might be.
(sigh) Life was much simpler back then. (sigh)

I can remember being at the Ford Dealership in Wauchula, Fla. with my Father and him ordering a car from a book with the options he wanted, when the car came in he would be contacted by phone(if they were working) or a salesman would come to the house with the car after he came home from work. I remember what ever the baddest engine and drive line he could get is what we got.
Sometimes a salesman from Lakeland, Fl. would drive a Mercury down to our home and show it to my Father, always after the season was over and Dad had had a good crop year.
Damn, how times have changed.

Back
Top Bottom