IMSA 2019

I flipped the IMSA race on at 7 pm and the nascar race was on until 8:45. That's what happened. I don't have an explanation of it, but that's what happened.
That's what happened but NBC showed the full 3 hours after NASCAR, not just the last 30 minutes.

Good stuuf, too. I watched it on the 4th. Good job by Mazda holding off strong challenges in the fourth and fifth hours. See what they can do when I stop posting about them?

Hard not to like Mosport. Old school track with a ton of flow and speed. Badass.

Mazda and Acura have had some great battles recently, very fun to watch. It looks like all Mazda had to do was get that monkey off their back and then the wins would start flowing. Really happy for them.

Was hoping for a better result for the CORE Nissan - I think Ricky Taylor got away with a hipcheck against them late in the race.

Very glad Franzoni is okay, I'm not sure I've ever seen a car entirely buried by tire barrier like that before.

First GT-only race of the season at the 1.5-mile bull ring. Same TV deal as Watkins Glen with the live stream and then rebroadcast after the IndyCar race.

D_idRM1WwAgRcLt.jpg

Wow, good racing in both classes today. 160 minutes of green flag racing and a side-by-side finish for a class win!
Porsche
absolutely had the best car in GTLM this weekend but
Ford
were very impressive in their strategy, tire management, and driver execution (compared to some more of the same in driving standards from the runners-up).

Very cool to see
Pfaff
get a victory in their first year in WeatherTech after expanding from World Challenge and GT3 Cup.

2020 schedule is basically the same outside of LMP2. Some of the Rolex 24 will be on NBC, unlike this year's race.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/2020-weathertech-championship-schedule-released/

Jan. 23-26 — Rolex 24 at Daytona (No LMP2 Points)
March 18-21 — Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
April 17-18 — Long Beach (DPi, GTLM Only)
May 1-3 — Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
May 29-30 — Detroit Belle Isle (DPi, GTD Sprint Cup Only)
June 25-28 — Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen
July 3-5 — Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (DPi, GTLM, GTD Only)
July 17-18 — Lime Rock Park (GTLM, GTD Only)
July 31 – Aug. 2 — Road America
Aug. 21-23 — Virginia International Raceway (GTLM, GTD Only)
Sept. 11-13 — WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca
Oct. 7-10 — Motul Petit Le Mans

Crazy Michelin Pilot race. Finished in the rain , dark and with a couple lap dash for the finish after
FCY. OMG ! Liddell came from 4th to win on the last lap by a half a car. !!!!! Wow. Catch those highlites if you can.

Last edited:
Crazy Michelin Pilot race. Finished in the rain , dark and with a couple lap dash for the finish after
FCY. OMG ! Liddell came from 4th to win on the last lap by a half a car. !!!!! Wow. Catch those highlites if you can.
I read Kuno Wittmer hit the pit lane limiter near the line instead of the radio button?? Holy crap.

Absolutely disgraceful double blocking by Ticknel on Cameron. I can't believe there's no protest.
Ehh, Montoya was blocking all over the place when he was in the car earlier. I’d rather they be consistent in whatever they decide to call. Ricky Taylor blocked Colin Braun straight off the track at Mosport. It is what it is at this point. For the most part there was good, hard racing all over the track today and I’m glad for that.

I don't like blocking, no matter who is doing it.
I agree, but they've already established through their non-calls this season that they're okay with it and I'd prefer they be consistent than change their mind mid-season or even mid-race. These guys know it's fair game and they'll race each other like that until it ends in tears for someone.

Jon Bennett is retiring from racing, so unfortunately, these final two prototype races will be the last for CORE. Presumably, no more Nissans in IMSA anymore either. I expect Colin Braun to be a highly sought-after free agent.

***Discussions between Chip Ganassi Racing and Ferrari on a potential two-car GT Le Mans program for next year is understood to have stalled. Sportscar365 understands that the Italian manufacturer is unable to commit to the necessary budget required for a factory-backed full-season GTLM effort.

***It’s understood Ganassi has reached out to other manufacturers inside and outside of the IMSA paddock as well, in the hope of keeping its sports car team alive in the wake of Ford’s exit from factory competition at the end of this year.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/vir-post-race-notebook/

I wish they'd do a rotating race every year - Portland, Utah, Barber, etc.
Portland really deserves another major race. I’d love to see IMSA return there but budgets are apparently being pushed pretty far already.

I wouldn’t be heartbroken to see them leave Long Beach or Laguna Seca for Portland but I get why that would pretty much never happen. Not enough major events in the PNW though.

Portland would be great if they either opened up or even removed the first chicane. Indycars always seem to have a big pile up there. They would have to put some better barriers at the first turn because they would be flying into there, but it would be worth it to avoid that first lap chicane disaster.

I used to love it when the prototypes ran at VIR. I'de also like to see the July night race at Daytona come back. There just aren't enough dates available for us to get all our favorite tracks.

Nasr returning to Action Express for 2020
https://racer.com/2019/09/10/nasr-returning-to-action-express-for-2020/

The Brazilian, who shares the car with countryman Pipo Derani, recently conducted his first IndyCar test with the Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports team, and was reportedly being considered for a seat in 2020 under the new Arrow McLaren SP banner. With his immediate future committed to IMSA, Nasr’s desire to resume his open-wheel career has been tabled until his new contract is completed.

It’s believed the long driver evaluation process taking place with the IndyCar team was a contributing factor to re-signing with AXR, which traditionally confirms its drivers in September for the following year.

Good break for Taylor. I have a hard time seeing Briscoe as the best of the Ganassi refugees for WTR to pick up... just my $0.02.
I agree, but Ganassi is reportedly still working on running the GTs next year (40/60 or 50/50 with time running out) and Spirit of Daytona is one of the teams possibly running a customer Mazda (Richard Westbrook was formerly a driver of theirs) so I am pretty positive all of the other Ford guys will have some sort of quality drive next year as well, they perhaps just haven't exercised their ability to seek out other options yet.

I'll agree that this opening would be a great landing spot for Colin Braun too.

Nothing official yet, but sounding like a rare lineup change in the works at Corvette Racing. Big one.

Jordan Taylor Set to Replace Magnussen at Corvette
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/jordan-taylor-poised-to-replace-magnussen-at-corvette/
Damn man, this makes me sad if true, but...I guess he's got 2 Rolex's and a championship racing for pops in his current class so what's left to do? I'd be more excited for this if the Corvettes weren't losing that heavenly rumble, as dumb as that sounds lol.

Back
Top Bottom