IMSA 2021

Meyer Shank's DPi with the Dinger/Montoya/Pla/Cameron piloting.... I like their chances

EsGY5LfXIAIMVxx

Haven't seen much from the Action Express guys. Figured Chase would post some behind the scenes looks at his prep or something of the sort. Their team IG page hasn't been very active either.

Haven't seen much from the Action Express guys. Figured Chase would post some behind the scenes looks at his prep or something of the sort. Their team IG page hasn't been very active either.
They basically went a full year with no activity on Twitter until last month too. I don’t get it. Some teams are good at this, like WTR and MSR. Rossi had stuff in his story from Sebring yesterday. Haven’t even seen what the car looks like. Kinda weird.

They basically went a full year with no activity on Twitter until last month too. I don’t get it. Some teams are good at this, like WTR and MSR. Rossi had stuff in his story from Sebring yesterday. Haven’t even seen what the car looks like. Kinda weird.
One issue with IMSA, they need to capitalize off of big names coming into major events like this.

RWR/Eurasia put together a surprisingly good lineup. Hopefully it just doesn’t catch on fire ten minutes in or something.

Any of you guys going this year? I bought my tickets Sunday. The Speedway changed the rules from their events last year and are allowing coolers now thankfully. So that'll be nice.

Any of you guys going this year? I bought my tickets Sunday. The Speedway changed the rules from their events last year and are allowing coolers now thankfully. So that'll be nice.
Gonna try to check out this weekend and see how it goes before making a decision next week. Tbh I have to go back and read all of the changes and whatnot over again. Sucks to have a year without garage access but if it’s mostly the same otherwise I may go.

Gonna try to check out this weekend and see how it goes before making a decision next week. Tbh I have to go back and read all of the changes and whatnot over again. Sucks to have a year without garage access but if it’s mostly the same otherwise I may go.
Yep I really weighed it out with my dad and my lady before we decided too. Once I found out that the infield would largely remain the same in terms of access and things to do, along with the change in what you could bring with you, I was sold. I'm sure it'll seem somewhat weird in some aspects, but overall should be as enjoyable.

Somebody break down LMP2 vs LMP3 for me, please. I'm from South Carolina, so use small words.
LMP2 is a little longer, lighter, has more HP, more performance overall. Tops out around 190 MPH at Daytona while LMP3 will probably be around 180 or so.

Somewhat similar makeup between the classes as each has a spec engine and four different chassis builders. LMP3 has more driver rating restrictions since it’s more of a developmental or amateur level of car, mostly silver and bronze drivers with up to one gold, and platinums are banned.

Relative to the NBCSN thread in the Nascar forum, the article cited indicated that although Nascar will be shown on USA when NBCSN shutters, other motor sports will have to find other outlets. What is going to happen to endurance racing??? I'm panicking.

Relative to the NBCSN thread in the Nascar forum, the article cited indicated that although Nascar will be shown on USA when NBCSN shutters, other motor sports will have to find other outlets. What is going to happen to endurance racing??? I'm panicking.
The IMSA deal runs concurrently with NASCAR’s through 2024 so probably a fair amount of streaming over Peacock until that ends. Depending on how far IMSA’s money goes, time buys for the usual 10 or so hours on NBC and maybe some USA coverage. But probably more Peacock than USA.

2021 still has all coverage across NBC, NBCSN, NBCSports.com and the app, and TrackPass.

Yep I really weighed it out with my dad and my lady before we decided too. Once I found out that the infield would largely remain the same in terms of access and things to do, along with the change in what you could bring with you, I was sold. I'm sure it'll seem somewhat weird in some aspects, but overall should be as enjoyable.
Exactly why I bought tickets. As soon as I saw I have an option of the stands and infield for General Admission, I was sold.

I got Trackpass for last year and was happy with it. They gave us 4 months
free for this year because of the mess last year. I am a flat track fan to and
that will still be on Trackpass.

Last month Jimmie was asked a similar question and was pretty confident this would be a one-off, but it sounds like he’s enjoying himself so far and wants to out the funding together to go run Sebring/Watkins Glen/Petit Le Mans. It sure is a talented group to be with. Gary Nelson went out and got some HMS guys at least for this race.

Last month Jimmie was asked a similar question and was pretty confident this would be a one-off, but it sounds like he’s enjoying himself so far and wants to out the funding together to go run Sebring/Watkins Glen/Petit Le Mans. It sure is a talented group to be with. Gary Nelson went out and got some HMS guys at least for this race.

That second video is more important. I expect o a lot of NASCAR pit crews to be used next season during the Rolex 24 to prepare for the next gen pit stops.

I also expect more Cup teams to be involved next year as well in terms of participation.

At the same time, they went the GT3 and not GTE direction. Meaning Corvette is going to have to switch up, ELMS and WEC will be the only users of the GTE spec car.

It's good that IMSA has chosen a direction to go in, however for the likes of Corvette they will have to make the conversion to GT3 specification, unfortunately. GTE will eventually have to go away, but GT3 I guess is the go to now. Once again, it sucks, but we will see how the ACO get on with the changes in a few years.

At the same time, they went the GT3 and not GTE direction. Meaning Corvette is going to have to switch up, ELMS and WEC will be the only users of the GTE spec car.

It's good that IMSA has chosen a direction to go in, however for the likes of Corvette they will have to make the conversion to GT3 specification, unfortunately. GTE will eventually have to go away, but GT3 I guess is the go to now. Once again, it sucks, but we will see how the ACO get on with the changes in a few years.
Biggest question here is really Corvette. BMW already has the M4 GT3 ready to debut next year. Corvette typically hate building customer cars and GT3 regs are you have to build 10 chassis in the first year and 20 chassis by the end of the second year of GT3 homologation. And at least for 2022 it’s still unclear as to how or whether or not they’ll be able compete at Le Mans.

Part of me wonders if GM just punts on GT3 and rebrands to Corvette for their LMDH or even LMH program. This is otherwise a good move though, and I think perfect for OEMs like Lexus (Vasser Sullivan) and Lamborghini (GRT) who essentially already have all-Pro teams in the GTD ranks.

It's not like there's overwhelming manufacturer interest for the last few years.
To be blunt, GTLM class was far too expensive. We are talking about a10-20 million dollar program, easily compared to Wayne Taylor who spent "5.6 million" on his DPi program back in 2018.

That's a lot of money and the reason why changes needed to be made ASAP. Costs were out of control in GTLM, it's partially the reason why Porsche shuttered the program.

Biggest question here is really Corvette. BMW already has the M4 GT3 ready to debut next year. Corvette typically hate building customer cars and GT3 regs are you have to build 10 chassis in the first year and 20 chassis by the end of the second year of GT3 homologation. And at least for 2022 it’s still unclear as to how or whether or not they’ll be able compete at Le Mans.

Part of me wonders if GM just punts on GT3 and rebrands to Corvette for their LMDH or even LMH program. This is otherwise a good move though, and I think perfect for OEMs like Lexus (Vasser Sullivan) and Lamborghini (GRT) who essentially already have all-Pro teams in the GTD ranks.
It depends, I would like to see Corvette stay the course. I could see them changing over, hell if they produce solid GT3 pieces it could lead to more possible customers.

I would certainly shoot that towards GM because they could make good money off it at a decent price. Look at what Acura has been able to do, but the NSX is close to its peak in terms of development. The C8 is still a baby in the sports car world.

It depends, I would like to see Corvette stay the course. I could see them changing over, hell if they produce solid GT3 pieces it could lead to more possible customers.

I would certainly shoot that towards GM because they could make good money off it at a decent price. Look at what Acura has been able to do, but the NSX is close to its peak in terms of development. The C8 is still a baby in the sports car world.
IF they opted to do it, I would bet they would place heavy restrictions on where you could and couldn’t run. No competing against the factory team in GTD Pro/allowing GTD Am only, World Challenge America or Europe only, something like that. Some brands are just very anal on controlling their image like that. It’s not an exact parallel but Ford were very much the same way about the GT - exactly why you haven’t seen but one race appearance by one in customer hands (Ben Keating at Le Mans). If it weren’t in Ford colors and not in the hands of CGR/Ford it wasn’t happening. Lots of people inquired about running one but it would have to come with a support package where Ford personnel handle most of the program, and the quotes people were getting were enough to feed some entire African nations for a year.

Laura Wontrop Klauser has said since she took over we’ll still have Corvettes on the grid somewhere, which I think could point towards a prototype future. This is also non-committal on GT racing:

Back
Top Bottom