IMSA 2024

You can get 85 DB ear plugs at a gun shop for about $20. You can still hear everything clear as day. The plugs just cap the max volume at 85. I used them when we were racing 120db open stack motors in RC pylon racing and they were great.

From the IMSA/MX5 site:
"In addition to a $15,000 check from Mazda for the winner, Martinsville will award one of their famous grandfather clocks as well. Runner-up receives $5,000, third place receives $4,000 and payouts continue through 10th place."

Yep, that should be a hoot.

Attracting new customer teams for 2025 will be a hard task. With eight-figure budgets understood to be required for customer Hypercar and GTP programs, you can count the number of teams ready, willing and able on one hand.

“I don’t think there are many privateer teams that are waiting to get into WEC at the moment,” he (Urs Kuratle, Director of Factory Racing) told RACER when asked for his thoughts on the two-car rule’s impact on the entry.

“I think it’s a very small market. There are three very good teams doing it at the moment but I am not hearing of any teams knocking down the door trying to get in.”

I guess we know the cap of how many cars we can see in action of top flight prototype racing now isn't about selling customer cars as much as it is how many factories want to get into the sport.

I guess we know the cap of how many cars we can see in action of top flight prototype racing now isn't about selling customer cars as much as it is how many factories want to get into the sport.
Yeah, but just imagine how crazy it would get if there were more cars available. Back in the Group C days, you could buy a competitive (if not dominant) 956/62 and at Dijon the grid went down the straight, around the last corner and out of sight.

If we can get a second JDC and a second Proton I’ll be happy. I think economies of scale and the data/setup sharing capabilities dictate that two cars are the way to go for a team.

Whether Proton can get a second car on the WEC grid will probably come down to whether Isotta can afford to expand to two cars or has to close up shop.

Ross Chastain will hop into an Aston Martin GT4 over the Olympic break.

Seb Priaulx will part ways with AO as the current GTD Pro points leader to “focus on growing commitments with Multimatic”. That could mean a number of potential programs.

If you’re starved for racing over the Olympic break and don’t care for F1, GTWC Europe’s Endurance Cup is in action at the Nurburgring GP circuit at 9 AM ET tomorrow. 50-car GT3 field for this one.

Every time Road America week rolls around I get a little miffed that it’s ‘only’ a standard-length race, and that doesn’t seem to be an unpopular opinion in the sports car community. I think you could get away with making it a 4-hour race like in the ALMS days. But I look forward to it nonetheless. Been too long of a break since the GTPs were racing and I think the Mustang is gonna get its first win in global competition this weekend.

BMW needs a decent result, and this weekend they're off to a good start: https://racer.com/2024/08/03/de-phillippi-puts-bmw-ahead-in-second-road-america-practice/
Krohn put it in the barrier at the Kink during morning practice and the team couldn’t get the 24 fixed in time for qualifying, and the 25 couldn’t replicate their practice speed. Another pretty disappointing day from that team.

The Acuras swept front row and look awfully hard to beat tomorrow.

Krohn put it in the barrier at the Kink during morning practice and the team couldn’t get the 24 fixed in time for qualifying, and the 25 couldn’t replicate their practice speed. Another pretty disappointing day from that team.
They've got a good chassis in the Dallara, and the motor looks strong, so what could possibly be up with them? Why can't they put it all together?

They've got a good chassis in the Dallara, and the motor looks strong, so what could possibly be up with them? Why can't they put it all together?
Got a feeling it’s a bit of everything right now. I think at the very least we’ll see some significant changes in driver lineup next year. Probably some young blood, BMW have developed a number of drivers through their Junior Team the last few years who are probably ready for prototypes.

Rain has stopped for a brief period now, but definitely got some heavy stuff in the morning and early afternoon. Will probably catch some more shortly but not bad, all things considered.
Looking for 8-10" over the next 72-96 hours, but only 35mph winds. Bro in law just arrived in Hilton Head for a week. :eek:

Rain has stopped for a brief period now, but definitely got some heavy stuff in the morning and early afternoon. Will probably catch some more shortly but not bad, all things considered.
I'm in Pinellas and right now the radar says this is as bad as it's going to get for us. The people north of us might be in for a rough ride though.

I'm in Pinellas and right now the radar says this is as bad as it's going to get for us. The people north of us might be in for a rough ride though.
Yep, the track moved out a decent bit westward from earlier projections. Looking like a Big Bend landfall now.

Back
Top Bottom