IndyCar: 2020 Bommarito Automotive Group 500

Why doesn't NASCAR always do side-by-side like Indy does? Does Indy have a better relationship with NBC than NASCAR does?
Depends on what the advertisers want mostly. Some are okay doing side-by-side and some want full screen. NASCAR tv spots are cost and are worth more so naturally there’s going to some more full ad breaks.

Why doesn't NASCAR always do side-by-side like Indy does? Does Indy have a better relationship with NBC than NASCAR does?

My guess is that NBC sells full screen ad slots for NASCAR races at higher rates. Also, they pay more than 10x the rights fees to air those races, so yeah, gotta recoup that.

Clean air is still king. Sato is stuck in no man's land.

So if Sato does the same length each stint he'll have fresher tires than everyone else at the end again.

Foyt could use the money and Veach runs back there anyways so good deal.

Andretti is being stretched thin now too I think. It’d probably be a relief for them.
I cannot fathom Veach being THAT bad. I feel as if they are keeping him because of the money and only because of it. He showed some flashes of pace in 2018, but he's only gone backwards after that season.

Maybe he is? I'm not sure, but that promise he showed near the end of 2018 is a far fantasy. At the same time, he would be an upgrade over Kallett racing for Foyt... That's honestly not saying a lot at this point.

I cannot believe its been three years since Graham won a race.

Like holy crap. He's had some lousy luck the past few years as well.

They're yammering on about human interest sruff and O'Ward is all over Power.

OK, they caught on.

I cannot believe its been three years since Graham won a race.

Like holy crap. He's had some lousy luck the past few years as well.
Feels like forever since that 2015 season where he was a legitimate title contender. Nowadays there are weekends where you think he can make something happen but he qualifies poorly or he gets wrecked or something fails.

That seemed like a panic move by Power's team to bring him in like that amidst heavy traffic. I know they didn't want to get undercut severely, but they could have waited a couple more laps.

Disagree with Hinch's take on the VeeKay / Herta incident. There's no room on this track, the groove is so narrow. On the rare occasion a driver gets a run on the outside, they have to come down as far as possible, and it's dicey. Herta chose to contest, and that's the outcome. It's just racing, and with as little of that that is possible on this surface, you gotta do what you gotta do. He didn't wreck him.

I'm not a gimmick guy, but we really need some damn DRS to deal with this half second air bubble. Just kidding, sorta.

Another race which will end in a caution.

Boring race with an even boring ending.

Cue the GWC complaints again. A GWC would have done nothing to change the result up front. It probably would create some carnage further back. I am firmly against it.

I'm not sure if you can really fix the issues this track has absent a radical revamp of the cars or a tire that wears dangerously.

Not gonna get into the you-know-what discussion again but 1) throwing a caution at all for that and 2) somehow not packing the field up for a one-lap sprint when the flag came out with four to go are actually poor indictments of the guys in the tower.

Disagree with Hinch's take on the VeeKay / Herta incident. There's no room on this track, the groove is so narrow. On the rare occasion a driver gets a run on the outside, they have to come down as far as possible, and it's dicey. Herta chose to contest, and that's the outcome. It's just racing, and with as little of that that is possible on this surface, you gotta do what you gotta do. He didn't wreck him.

Yeah, like they barely touched at all. Looked like hard racing with a tiny bit of incidental contact. Shouldn't have raised an eyebrow except maybe to mention that's the kind of racing we like to see.

They have to do something about the racing at shorter ovals, reduce downforce or introduce a tire that wears much more. This was all about pit stops with little to no passing. Mid-Ohio should be better.

Mid Ohio is going to be much worse. They almost never have a decent race there. The track is too narrow and the straights are too short. Most of the corners are so close together there's never time to get alongside. I hope this time they prove me wrong.

If we go back to Iowa, both of those races were insane, so it's not the car or the shorter track that's any sort of problem. Why was Iowa so nuts and Gateway was so disappointing? Also remember that most Gateway races have been great too. We just had one slightly disappointing race.

I think most people are really more aggravated by the yellow finish than anything else.

The only thing I can figure is that the aeroscreen makes a ton of turbulence because that's the only thing that's changed since last year. Maybe over the winter they can find a solution in the wind tunnel. Maybe an add-on piece that straightens the flow coming off the screen or something.

I don't think we have a tremendous problem, just something that needs a little tweak. Most of the races this year have been really good and its only just today that was a little disappointing.

The last thing we want to do is something fake like DRS or PTP or cheezy custom deg tires. They need to fix the turbulence issue by fixing the turbulence issue. Leave everything else alone and straighten out the airflow.

Back
Top Bottom