IndyCar: DXC Technology 600

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
De7MZuQVQAAQ8PR.jpg

Some aero changes from what was previously scheduled to be allowed at Texas, due to much higher expected temperatures - ~100 pounds more downforce from the rear wing, but less downforce being generated from the floor. Overall, less downforce than what they qualified at Indy with, which was ~2,150 pounds.

IndyCar modifies aero spec ahead of hot Texas event
The light downforce approach by IndyCar comes in an effort to reduce pack racing on the fast and treacherous 1.5-mile banked oval. With last year’s race serving as one where multiple crashes took 10 of the 22 starters out well before the finish, drivers are not expected to have the luxury of running close together for extended periods with the new aero kit in place.
https://racer.com/2018/06/06/indycar-modifies-aero-spec-ahead-of-hot-texas-event/

This has become one of my favorite races of the year and is the TX race I would do
before COTA F1. They are both on the bucket list.

So get ready to hold your breath for 3 hours......

One of the worst elements of high downforce / low power pack racing is how it tends to ruin people's appreciation for everything else. That's why I compare it to junk food. It is a palette destroyer.

Not sure I agree with TK there. Passing certainly looked difficult, but not impossible during practice. And that was when temps were hotter than what they'll be tonight. There is certainly a happy medium to be found between no passing and pack racing and I wouldn't entirely write the race off yet. I think the big problem truly is the track surface. The repave has made much of the track unusable and tire wear isn't as substantial as it used to be. Aside from the last few laps of the 2016 race, the DW12-era races at Texas ran a lot like NASCAR races there. It's going to be a while before the surface weathers to the point it was when they repaved it.

Laptop ready to sit with y'all tonite. Fingers crossed for Zach Veach and the
other first timers at this race. This will be a very different experience for them.

Really weird from the safety crew. Do they split duties with a Texas-specific crew here? It looked like some of them are sporting TMS logos. The AMR crew is usually flawless, but Simona almost burned to the ground here several years ago too...just weird all around.

Sorry pretty Firestone lady, but my nonsense meter went off in that interview you gave the pit reporter.

Back
Top Bottom