Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

No matter how much I hate it I have to agree with him. Last year's race wasn't great and the novelty of the race drew more than anything. If this year doesn't produce IMO its time to move on

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I disliked it from the start. Cup doesn't belong on dirt

I disliked it from the start. Cup doesn't belong on dirt
Eh I say give it an honest shot this year. Just did it all wrong last year. Had to run 2 races the same day and ran both during the day and track dried out too much

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I like that they want to run a race on dirt but converting Bristol made it a gimmick. Run it at a true dirt track. Yes all dirt tracks are small venues, that adds to the novelty of it
Problem is most don't have the infrastructure for Cup.

You know what happened the last time Cup raced at a new track without the infrastructure to support it? Kentucky 2011 happened

Problem is most don't have the infrastructure for Cup.

You know what happened the last time Cup raced at a new track without the infrastructure to support it? Kentucky 2011 happened

I hear that quite often, that many tracks don't have the infrastructure for Cup, but what exactly don't they have? And for the record I'm not disagreeing, just legitimately asking. Is it major road access? Press facilities? Media setup?

The success of the Dirt Nationals probably keeps dirt on it for a several more years. Bristol has a good case for best oval on the calendar so it’s unfortunate it kinda lost a race, but FOX didn’t like it and it’s pretty good business for BMS and SMI for now.

The success of the Dirt Nationals probably keeps dirt on it for a several more years. Bristol has a good case for best oval on the calendar so it’s unfortunate it kinda lost a race, but FOX didn’t like it and it’s pretty good business for BMS and SMI for now.
Thing is BMS doesn't even need Cup for the Dirt Nationals though

Roads, TV compounds, amentities, media setups

This is the biggest racing series in America, you can't expect to just show up at Uncle Billy's Raceway in rural Alabama .

But if it's a track with only 10 or 20k seats then infrastructure shouldn't be an issue. MLB managed to play a regular season game in the middle of Iowa

Success? I know the promoter has been online talking about it being a success. Attendance was way down this year, partly because of the weather. Car counts were low too.

Was it successful this year? I only know what I saw on Facebook about depressed fan counts and car counts but don’t know how true that is.

If the novelty is already wearing off, it’s days are numbered.

I would think everything is dependent on whether Fox and NASCAR want the dirt Cup event to continue. The TV revenue and the sway it brings dwarf anything SMI could possibly be making by renting the track for the XR and WoO events. I also doubt that anything else can financially support the expense involved with converting the track.

Could somebody please explain the history of dirt racing in general. Why dirt?

Yeah, typical Tom Jensen....Blah, blah, blah about dirt, but why? Was it cheap? Convenient? Why?
I mean 1 a lot of roads in the south back then were dirt. 2 You can build a dirt track really easily. 3 if you are just digging up your cotton field it's a lot cheaper then paving.

I mean 1 a lot of roads in the south back then were dirt. 2 You can build a dirt track really easily. 3 if you are just digging up your cotton field it's a lot cheaper then paving.
I get it, but NASCAR is no longer a regional sport. We have plenty of tracks, so no need to build one....and why the hell are we stepping back to digging up cornfields. Nostalgic? Maybe, but really, is it worth it? I don't think so. I would give anything for next week to be standard Bristol....but I will watch regardless because I love this sport.

I mean it’s cool that Kentucky isn’t dead but the track sucked after they felt it was a smart idea to increase turn 1-2.

Could somebody please explain the history of dirt racing in general. Why dirt?

You profess your love for the sport. What is apparent is your love for a racing series and an auto manufacturer that competes in it.

Even limiting it to that, what would be your serious answer regarding what NASCAR, which you love, is attempting to do with dirt races? I think you'd be on the wrong track to consider it a "nostalgia" play. Dirt racing is a parallel universe in oval racing, not merely an origin story. The dirt racing NASCAR did in the 1960s has more in common with the pavement racing they did in the 1960s than it does modern dirt racing.

Why has TRD become dominant in dirt midget racing through large investment, and why do they use their midget program as an important driver development tool? Why are they now developing a 410 dirt sprint car engine, which is another sizable investment?

Coming up with answers to those questions might help with what eludes you.

Last edited:
You profess your love for the sport. What is apparent is your love for a racing series and an auto manufacturer that competes in it.

Even limiting it to that, what would be your serious answer regarding what NASCAR, which you love, is attempting to do with dirt races? I think you'd be on the wrong track to consider it a "nostalgia" play. Dirt racing is a parallel universe in oval racing, not merely an origin story. The dirt racing NASCAR did in the 1960s has more in common with the pavement racing they did in the 1960s than it does modern dirt racing.

Why has TRD become dominant in dirt midget racing through large investment, and why do they use their midget program as an important driver development tool? Why are they now developing a 410 dirt sprint car engine, which is another sizable investment?

Unlike him, I do recognize that dirt has a place. I just don't think modern Cup belongs on dirt

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I’d bet this Bristol dirt race is going to be sticking around for a bit. Don’t care for it much myself and would rather have the OG spring Bristol race back myself…but it’s the world we live in

Here's an idea.

If they really have to use an existing track AND want something really different, how about they make Texas a 1.5 mile dirt track. Huge for a dirt track yes, but "everything's bigger in Texas", it would be unique, they still get to have a spring dirt race, and most people agree something needs to change at that track.

Here's an idea. If they really have to use an existing track AND want something really different, how about they make Texas a 1.5 mile dirt track. Huge for a dirt track yes, but "everything's bigger in Texas", it would be unique, they still get to have a spring dirt race, and most people agree something needs to change at that track.

Honestly not a terrible idea. The issue with stock cars on dirt is that 40 cars will not keep a surface survivable for 200 laps as @AndyMarquisLive alluded to. So maybe a bigger track letting them run fewer laps will work well.

Here's an idea. If they really have to use an existing track AND want something really different, how about they make Texas a 1.5 mile dirt track. Huge for a dirt track yes, but "everything's bigger in Texas", it would be unique, they still get to have a spring dirt race, and most people agree something needs to change at that track.
Not sure if serious and it sounds crazy but I realize my home track is one of if not the worst on the schedule...so if the new car and another year of weather/racing on the asphalt doesn't improve the racing, why not?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I’d bet this Bristol dirt race is going to be sticking around for a bit. Don’t care for it much myself and would rather have the OG spring Bristol race back myself…but it’s the world we live in
Yep it will be around as long as SMI is making money I would bet. They had a week long dirt nationals type of thing that folds into a Nascar weekend so if they get their monies worth I can't see a change anytime soon. Same for COTA.

Not sure if serious and it sounds crazy but I realize my home track is one of if not the worst on the schedule...so if the new car and another year of weather/racing on the asphalt doesn't improve the racing, why not?

They always say to get ahead you have to think outside the box. What would be more unique in Nascar? And tbh there's not much it couldn't make the racing much worse there I'm sorry to say. The only issue could be the loss of the Indycar race there.

You are trying to say a lot I think, but you never answered my question. Why dirt? Spare me the BS commentary on my relationship with this sport this time, or ignore this post altogether. Your call.

Back
Top Bottom