Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Hard to believe the only "new" track added to the Cup schedule between 2002 and 2017 was Kentucky....now every year we get a new track... so awesome!!!

As far as Phelps talking about the challenge of adding new short tracks... that's shame on NASCAR. Mansfield, Memphis, IRP, even Myrtle Beach all could've been brought up to Cup standards easier than...lets say... demolishing 60% of Auto Club, bringing back North Wilkes, or building the totally new tracks on Staten Island or up in Canada as once envisioned. But NASCAR decided to push all those short tracks out and they've moved on from NASCAR or are defunct. Iowa Speedway is next on that list it seems, unfortunately.

Hard to believe the only "new" track added to the Cup schedule between 2002 and 2017 was Kentucky....now every year we get a new track... so awesome!!!

As far as Phelps talking about the challenge of adding new short tracks... that's shame on NASCAR. Mansfield, Memphis, IRP, even Myrtle Beach all could've been brought up to Cup standards easier than...lets say... demolishing 60% of Auto Club, bringing back North Wilkes, or building the totally new tracks on Staten Island or up in Canada as once envisioned. But NASCAR decided to push all those short tracks out and they've moved on from NASCAR or are defunct. Iowa Speedway is next on that list it seems, unfortunately.

I agree with your point but Iowa Speedway is hosting ARCA, full IndyCar weekend with concerts and having a trade show after that. I’d support or watch Iowa Speedway before calling it dead.

Fairgrounds and NWS will be back on Cup schedule within 5-7 years book it
Yeah I agree for both. There's no way that the amount of money being spent at Wilkesboro they dont even get an All Star race or two out of it. I'll even contend that once Fairgrounds is up and running, I could see them getting a season ending Championship Race.

I'm saving this one for future reference, into my RacingForums.com Time Capsule.
Yeah I agree for both. There's no way that the amount of money being spent at Wilkesboro they dont even get an All Star race or two out of it. I'll even contend that once Fairgrounds is up and running, I could see them getting a season ending Championship Race.
This one also

I agree with your point but Iowa Speedway is hosting ARCA, full IndyCar weekend with concerts and having a trade show after that. I’d support or watch Iowa Speedway before calling it dead.
Rumor is Iowa is a track rental from Penske. The track laid off a bunch of people over the winter there were rumors of it going under. The fact that they lost Xfinity and Truck races is telling...those were marquee events for the track.

Rumor is Iowa is a track rental from Penske. The track laid off a bunch of people over the winter there were rumors of it going under. The fact that they lost Xfinity and Truck races is telling...those were marquee events for the track.

Kinda old news regarding the NASCAR events, they weren’t promoted or scheduled properly either. ARCA went there last year and had a decent crowd. It is a Penske event actually being promoted with stuff to do, and the event looks to be a good event and Saturday ticket sales last I looked were doing well.

Interesting to hear even Phelps talk about saturation when it comes to road courses. There may be an argument to bring back the 500 at Charlotte and they’ve already been thinking of rotating the oval and RC at IMS. That’d still leave four on the schedule, which isn’t a bad number.

I forget where I saw it but the most recent plans for Fontana made it look closer to a 2/3 mile short track. I think they tried to simulate it and it didn’t work as a 1/2 mile.

Fairgrounds and NWS will be back on Cup schedule within 5-7 years book it
I'm not expressing an opinion pro or con on Nashville Fairgrounds.
There's no way that the amount of money being spent at Wilkesboro they dont even get an All Star race or two out of it.
Taxpayer money; it ain't coming out of Bruton's pockets. But I admit I made my comment while thinking only of points races. I've stopped caring about exhibitions.
I'm saving this one for future reference, into my RacingForums.com Time Capsule.
Works for me. I've been right about Rockingham so far, and time's running out on my free tickets offer.

Don't think I won't celebrate with the rest of you should NW or Rock get a Cup points date. I'm certainly not opposed to either happening, and I'll burn up my connections to get tickets. But they won't.

Speaking of the Fairgrounds, it seemed like things were moving along at a good pace and now things are at a standstill, especially after SMI got involved with NSS. One thing interesting to watch is ticket sales for this year's NSS race, especially given the awful traffic conditions last year. Kentucky never recovered from their own debacle.

I'm not expressing an opinion pro or con on Nashville Fairgrounds.

Taxpayer money; it ain't coming out of Bruton's pockets. But I admit I made my comment while thinking only of points races. I've stopped caring about exhibitions.

Works for me. I've been right about Rockingham so far, and time's running out on my free tickets offer.

Don't think I won't celebrate with the rest of you should NW or Rock get a Cup points date. I'm certainly not opposed to either happening, and I'll burn up my connections to get tickets. But they won't.
Ah I was just messing with ya, we're gonna share a beverage at the first Cup Race back at Wilkesboro

They're not spending this money just to get Trucks there.
Who is 'they'? 'They' aren't spending any of 'their' own money. When you're given the money, you spend it. You don't need a goal. Until you and I ponied up, nobody with the available cash was buying into the 'Build it and they will come' theory.

But as I conceded, they may get a Cup exhibition event.

Who is 'they'? 'They' aren't spending any of 'their' own money. When you're given the money, you spend it. You don't need a goal. Until you and I ponied up, nobody with the available cash was buying into the 'Build it and they will come' theory.

But as I conceded, they may get a Cup exhibition event.
If I can jump into this for a second "they" is the state government giving Wilkesboro money as you so pointed out in a post above. I cant speak for others that think its coming back to Cup but my thought process right or wrong is that because SMI is getting the money from the NC government all the more reason to bring NW back, SMI isnt using their own money. Everything to gain and nothing to lose is how I look at it.

Everything to gain and nothing to lose is how I look at it.
Agreed. They're playing with house money. It doesn't change the odds.

Why would SMI ask for another race within a couple of hours of two tracks it already can't fill? Why would NASCAR schedule another race within roughly 2.5 hours of three other tracks when there are plenty of larger underserved markets elsewhere in the country?

The State of North Carolina.
The Feds gave them the money as part of a COVID stimulus package. The legislature has ignored spending its own tax revenue on this 'investment' for 20+ years. What reasons do they have to expect to get a Cup date? See my questions in post #4903.

Considering where things are with fuel prices, the fact they won't be doing down any time soon, and this is just an exhibition race, I would have skipped LA in '23.

Race teams are cutting this and cutting that to save money. It will be a worse fuel bill then than it is now to go to California for an exhibition race.

Lol drivers are paid millions a year, TV deals measure in the billions of dollars, and we're saying don't go to California bc the teams have to spend another few grand on diesel costs. Not even drops in the bucket.
Drivers might not be able to make it to the race ....can't afford the Jet fuel :dunce:

Back
Top Bottom