Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Do you think that Nascar would like to have more doubleheader’s in the future or are they just dealing with the cards dealt to them with Pocono?

I remember rooting for him at Homestead so they'd have to blow the whole system up again.
as was I. I felt dirty doing it but I rooted for that Ogre. Its still a shame 5 years later Gordon got screwed by that whole deal.

A night race in the Virginian mountains in mid-November? Will you be buying coats for everyone?

That's why a "rotating" finale doesn't really work. You could have it at Auto Club, Sonoma, Phoenix, Homestead, Daytona, Atlanta, Texas, Talledaga, Darlington, maybe Charlotte. New Hampshire and Watkins Glen have a good chance of being snow-covered by November 15th. Climate dictates the first and last month of the schedule (as long as it's beginning in February and ending in mid-November, that's the reality).
What's wrong with Martinsville in November? Green Bay sells-out in February without issue.

I said the playoff point system since 2017.

Larson was a top driver but he was 4th or 5th in most statistics besides wins. The top 4 in 2017 didn't have any surprises.

I'd categorize Larson missing as a surprise that year imo.

But, yes it's true since stages and the points carry over, it's yielded most/if not all of the strongest cars. I'll give you Larson on consistency in 17' since that is what bit him. From what I remember he was 3rd in carry over on wins and stage wins, held a very large point lead to 4th place, then went on terrible run of 39, 37, 37, 40 to get eliminated.

4th in avg. driver rating, 3rd in laps led, 3rd in wins, t2 for top 5s, but yes down the chart on top 10s top 20s 7 DNF's and the worst performances during crunch time.

Also, he violated the 100% rule at Homestead and gave up the win, not wanting to get in the middle of the KB/Truex battle for the Championship. Since Truex had never won a Championship before and destroyed everyone that season (should have won more than 8 truly), it was very important that he was handled with kid gloves in that race. NASCAR faces major backlash on their finale system if he does not win that thing.

Also, he violated the 100% rule at Homestead and gave up the win, not wanting to get in the middle of the KB/Truex battle for the Championship.

All but the final four are under strongly implied instruction to violate that joke rule every year at Homestead.

I agree with @AuzGrams that the current structure produces a more credible final four than the '14-'16 version did. That doesn't mean it's a good system, just that it has been made better.

All but the final four are under strongly implied instruction to violate that joke rule every year at Homestead.

I agree with @AuzGrams that the current structure produces a more credible final four than the '14-'16 version did. That doesn't mean it's a good system, just that it has been made better.

Yep, it's true, it has, the carry over is huge. Correct, lol 100% rule always and forever, gets violated all the time. I forget what launched that doozy, the Bowyer spin?

I said the playoff point system since 2017.

Larson was a top driver but he was 4th or 5th in most statistics besides wins. The top 4 in 2017 didn't have any surprises.
Sorry my mistake re-read and yes the playoff system was in 14. Then playoff point started in 17.

yep the lipstick did make it look better. but you have hell following the points. So a cost for the change is being paid. I really wonder if one day us fans will get blindsided with a different points system or can I be made to like what they have with the races they have put in the cut off spots? I definitely think they slotted in some usually good races in crucial spots next year.

I heard Moody say something the other day about Packer fans in February and I don't think it's a fair comparison. There is an expectation as an NFL fan that you're going to follow a certain team in a certain climate, you're going to have to deal with bad weather. I don't believe race fans are ready to embrace that expectation. I don't care how hot it gets at a race, I sat in the Pocono bleachers many years and fried. This is the expectation as a race fan. This is why they start the year in the warmer climes. You can call the fans soft if you're Dave Moody all you want but good luck selling them on sitting there in cold weather. I'm not a Moody hater, I think he makes a lot of good points but he's wrong on this, IMO.

All politics is local. I will put up with almost any change NASCAR wants to make. If they want the drivers to wear clown shoes, I'll watch it. But when they make my attendance at their events more difficult, I'm going to vote with my feet and watch it on TV. This is not some odyssey where I have something to prove by attending. I have a nice tv at home and no line at the bathroom.

I heard Moody say something the other day about Packer fans in February and I don't think it's a fair comparison. There is an expectation as an NFL fan that you're going to follow a certain team in a certain climate, you're going to have to deal with bad weather. I don't believe race fans are ready to embrace that expectation. I don't care how hot it gets at a race, I sat in the Pocono bleachers many years and fried. This is the expectation as a race fan. This is why they start the year in the warmer climes. You can call the fans soft if you're Dave Moody all you want but good luck selling them on sitting there in cold weather. I'm not a Moody hater, I think he makes a lot of good points but he's wrong on this, IMO.

All politics is local. I will put up with almost any change NASCAR wants to make. If they want the drivers to wear clown shoes, I'll watch it. But when they make my attendance at their events more difficult, I'm going to vote with my feet and watch it on TV. This is not some odyssey where I have something to prove by attending. I have a nice tv at home and no line at the bathroom.
I've sat through some chilly, even frigid races at The Rock in Feb and Nov. That was in the days when you had to buy tickets in advance if you wanted to get a seat. My money was spent so I might as well have gone. I suspect that's why a lot of those Frozen Chosen show up. They had to buy the entire season so they might as well use the tix.

Now you can often get good seats the week of the race. I don't have to commit months ahead to get a seat, esp. if I'm going solo. Why not wait and see what the forecast is before pulling the trigger? Why spend money to freeze my nummies off when the sofa is warm, dry, and free?

I've sat through some chilly, even frigid races at The Rock in Feb and Nov. That was in the days when you had to buy tickets in advance if you wanted to get a seat. My money was spent so I might as well have gone. I suspect that's why a lot of those Frozen Chosen show up. They had to buy the entire season so they might as well use the tix. Why spend money to freeze my nummies off when the sofa is warm, dry, and free?

Now you can often get good seats the week of the race. I don't have to commit months ahead to get a seat, esp. if I'm going solo. Why not wait and see what the forecast is before pulling the trigger?[/QUOTE]

Also a great option. But when the very sport has conditioned its patrons to attend races expecting a certain range of temps, don't all of a sudden tell me I'm not a fan because I don't want to go to a race where I know I'm going to freeze the brass monkey off. If it's hot, I can bring more ice, stand under the bleachers, pour water on my head, lots of things. If you're cold there's only so much you can do, only so many clothes you can put on. I only ever sat in cold weather at dirt races and it was my own miscalculation on the weather that caused it. But hey, make attendance at races more attractive, not less. That's all I'm saying.

This is on my wish list too. The Clash/The ASR, adios both of those pointless exhibiitions. Run the Daytona infield the weekend before the 500, and run the Roval the weekend before the 600. Opens up another weekend for options. I like the Roval, just not crazy about it as a playoff race. I'd rather see Atlanta, Dover, or Homestead in.

Kyle Larson had better numbers than Newman that year.

Larson finished 17th in points, and Newman was one point away from a title. :wacko:
Denny Hamlin didn’t have a particularly great year in 2014 either, but was also in the Championship 4. He had just one win that season (at Talladega) and would have finished 13th in points without the Chase.

Nascar president Steve Phelps is trying to manage expectations for the 2021 schedule with his recent comments on SiriusXM radio. It seems as if he's touting how many changes have already been announced for 2020, and doesn't want to promise a dramatic shakeup for the following year.

My personal opinion is that shifting the season finale to a flat one-mile track is a major blunder. I'm OK with having the peculiar and idiosyncratic Phoenix track on the annual schedule, (and Loudon too, for that matter), but it's a terrible home for the championship finale.
NASCAR President anticipates changes to 2021 schedule but not wholesale moves

While NASCAR President Steve Phelps anticipates changes to the 2021 Cup schedule, he said Friday that “I don’t think there are going to be massive wholesale changes” to the schedule.

There is an anticipation for the 2021 Cup schedule because NASCAR’s five-year sanctioning agreements with tracks end after 2020 and give series officials more flexibility in reshaping where the series will race.

Phelps was asked about where things stood with the 2021 schedule Friday in an interview on “The Morning Drive” on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.

“We don’t have the schedule dialed in for 2021,” Phelps said. “Lots of discussions about where we would race. I think if you would look at the 2020 schedule, we moved things around and I think the fans, again from the research that we did, by and large were thrilled with the changes we made.

“I think there was an industry buzz. The drivers were excited, the teams were excited and most importantly, the fans were excited, but we’re racing at the same race tracks, the same number at each race track. So in 2021, we have new sanctions that we need to do for 2021 that will obviously dictate where we go.

“Will we go to exactly the same number of race tracks, the exact same number of events? We probably won’t. I don’t think there are going to be massive wholesale changes.

“With that said, we’re going to continue to listen to what the fans have to say because this is their sport and we need to make sure that we are giving them what they want. So a lot of listening, a lot of dialogue, working with our broadcast partners, working with our teams and our drivers, our OEM partners … hey, where do you want to be, what do you want to see, where would you like to race? So that’s the first part of the 2021 piece, a work in progress.”
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...ges-to-2021-schedule-but-not-wholesale-moves/

Nascar president Steve Phelps is trying to manage expectations for the 2021 schedule with his recent comments on SiriusXM radio. It seems as if he's touting how many changes have already been announced for 2020, and doesn't want to promise a dramatic shakeup for the following year.

My personal opinion is that shifting the season finale to a flat one-mile track is a major blunder. I'm OK with having the peculiar and idiosyncratic Phoenix track on the annual schedule, (and Loudon too, for that matter), but it's a terrible home for the championship finale.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...ges-to-2021-schedule-but-not-wholesale-moves/
If the over/under on new (to Cup) tracks added to the 2021 or 2022 schedules were set at 2.5 I'd take the under right now. I think it will still be very difficult for NASCAR to take race weekends away from themselves and SMI.

If the over/under on new (to Cup) tracks added to the 2021 or 2022 schedules were set at 2.5 I'd take the under right now. I think it will still be very difficult for NASCAR to take race weekends away from themselves and SMI.
Maybe when it’s all said and done when we get the 2021Cup schedule, it truly will be a much ado about nothing. Seems like they are laying the groundwork to de-hype what they originally hinted at earlier this year. I do hope they renovate the Xfinity and Trucks schedule extensively

I'm gonna laugh when there's no new tracks and a couple races removed. Sorry but they are setting everybody up for disappointment in 2021. This series is monopolized by ISC (NASCAR) & SMI and will be for the forseeable future. The only reason Nashville has been getting talk is because of the SMI partnership.

Oh and IMO Phoenix sucks with the weird-ass S/F line. But maybe that's because I haven't been back there since 2016.

I'm gonna laugh when there's no new tracks and a couple races removed. Sorry but they are setting everybody up for disappointment in 2021. This series is monopolized by ISC (NASCAR) & SMI and will be for the forseeable future. The only reason Nashville has been getting talk is because of the SMI partnership.

Oh and IMO Phoenix sucks with the weird-ass S/F line. But maybe that's because I haven't been back there since 2016.
Which is precisely why the sport is circling the damn drain, NASCAR's setting themselves up for the mother of all antitrust lawsuits. One that would make the Francis Ferko suit look mild. The way I see it, Gateway, Road America, Circuit Giles De Vileneueve, and any other track interested in a Cup date, should ban together and file a lawsuit against NASCAR, ISC, and SMI, claiming "anti trust violations"

And BTW Daytona 2's new date won't last long. Especially when Daytona Beach gets pummeled by a major Hurricane that weekend and NASCAR is forced to postpone the race. As somebody who was born and raised in Florida, August-October is statistically when more Hurricanes have hit Florida than any other month. Peak Hurricane Season in Florida is no joke.

Last edited:
Moving Homestead to spring break season, stupid.
Moving Kansas spring race to a hotter date, plus running it during the day, stupid.
Moving Indy to Independence Day weekend, when they have no lights, which means no fireworks show afterwards and the day time temp is beyond too hot, extremely stupid.
Moving Daytona, which has been an Independence Day staple for 60 years, to the heart of hurricane season, brain dead.

Something (positive) changed with the contraction talk, because Phelps could have made the same statement six months ago and didn't, and in fact implied differently as recently as last week.

Something (positive) changed with the contraction talk, because Phelps could have made the same statement six months ago and didn't, and in fact implied differently as recently as last week.

I take that as Pocono will be get getting their traditional 2 dates back hopefully?!?!

Wow...it really is much ado about nothing. I would be surprised now if any track lost their date in 2021, which is fine I would hate to see anyone lose their race date honestly. I really would love to hear what changed. Hopefully Daytona gets the Firecracker 400 back in 21 as well.

Wow...it really is much ado about nothing. I would be surprised now if any track lost their date in 2021, which is fine I would hate to see anyone lose their race date honestly. I really would love to hear what changed. Hopefully Daytona gets the Firecracker 400 back in 21 as well.
Well some tracks should lose 2nd dates if they can't get fans to show up (Dover, Texas). What looks better? One Cup date with a full house, or two Cup dates with half empty grandstands

I take that as Pocono will be get getting their traditional 2 dates back hopefully?!?!

I would still predict that Pocono drops to a single date and makes way for a single new addition to the schedule, but that's just my hunch.

I would still predict that Pocono drops to a single date and makes way for a single new addition to the schedule, but that's just my hunch.
That date should go to Road America, IMHO. Wisconsin is a state that loves it's motorsports, and Road America's Xfinity date has been very financially successful from what I have heard

Okay, I'll play. Pocono keeps its second date, and it's run on a different weekend, but it's on the road course.

Back
Top Bottom