Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

yeah from what I know it is a beautiful place, similar to Watkins Glenn, might turn out to be a happening like the Glenn has become.

You live in NYC but never been to the Pocono?! Dude i'll come pick you up! We can have an epic nascar convo!! Go this year! I'll be at both races!

Pocono, like other tracks, was one helluva happening up until about 7-8 years ago. The energy, atmosphere and vibe with 150k was awesome. Same at Dover. I miss that! Would love to see it come back!

The Glen has done well because the racing there is very good. But even they've reduced seats and limited certain spectator areas to help reduce overall capacity but keep demand and the optics on the uppity up.

Likewise with Talladega. They have a great camping setup up and a reasonable grandstand capacity. Their optics have been really good.

Last edited:
As far as attendance at Pocono goes I don’t see anything but good coming from it. If memory serves it looks like the stands have approximately 70k total for both races. It could easily increase by 10k.

Short tracks and roval at each Playoff pivot point.....I LIKE it! Not crazy about Phoenix last race though. It’s like a gimme to KB or the Instigator if they in top 4.

You live in NYC but never been to the Pocono?! Dude i'll come pick you up! We can have an epic nascar convo!! Go this year! I'll be at both races!

Pocono, like other tracks, was one helluva happening up until about 7-8 years ago. The energy, atmosphere and vibe with 150k was awesome. Same at Dover. I miss that! Would love to see it come back!

The Glen has done well because the racing there is very good. But even they've reduced seats and limited certain spectator areas to help reduce overall capacity but keep demand and the optics on the uppity up.

Likewise with Talladega. They have a great camping setup up and a reasonable grandstand capacity. Their optics have been really good.
I’ve always heard it was a nightmare to get out of? Is that still the case? Maybe not if the attendance is down?

I’ve always heard it was a nightmare to get out of? Is that still the case? Maybe not if the attendance is down?

Hasn't been an issue in 20 years. Once they temporarily made 115 2/3 lanes from 80 in and out of the track traffic became reasonable. More recently it's a breeze with the smaller crowds.

The state finally decided to permantly widen 115 for this year. So that will make things even easier.

The traffic, or lack there of at Martinsville on Sunday was both awesome and sad at the same time.

Hasn't been an issue in 20 years. Once they temporarily made 115 2/3 lanes from 80 in and out of the track traffic became reasonable. More recently it's a breeze with the smaller crowds.

The state finally decided to permantly widen 115 for this year. So that will make things even easier.

The traffic, or lack there of at Martinsville on Sunday was both awesome and sad at the same time.

Yeah...stands were sad looking too. I like the reduction in fans but sure don’t want the sport to die...thanks for the info!

That stuff has been going on in NASCAR forever. Its all entertaining but we do have our share of fans who walk around like they have a bowl of crap under their nose and whine about everything. If the shoe fits....
You're amused by guys intentionally wrecking others to win, I am not. Different types of fans. And there is a very defined line between whining about everything and providing valid reasons as to why you might not like some things. That is our right as fans and this is our place to do it. I buy loads of merchandise and attend 5 or 6 races, plus practices, qualifying sessions, you name it, per year. Therefore, I'm just as qualified and justified in bitching about whatever I want if I don't like it.

Worried about Homestead now. Lost Ford as title sponsor and they have a ton of competition that time of year, even just that particular weekend. This place struggled to fill 46k as the championship race, I can only imagine how much it'll drop now.

Best thing to happen for the fans in attendance at a race in a number of years. NASCAR & IndyCar need to get with the program for a doubleheader. Doubleheaders and loaded race weekends are great for attendance.

I'm thinking of coming from out west & staying in NYC for a few days.
Jenna Fryer said SMI was willing to do a NASCAR/IndyCar doubleheader but only at the second Las Vegas/Charlotte ROVAL/Texas events, which are past when IndyCar ends. The best chance still seems to be at an ISC track like Richmond or Chicagoland.

Dover on August 23 or Indy on July 4...both day races...ouch.

Was not expecting the big Bristol change. Kinda surprised there hasn't been an outrage over that. Glad I'm going this year to the August race...I couldn't go in September.

Glad that Martinsville and Atlanta got much better spring dates.

Only 3 1.5 mile tracks in the Playoffs...oh how times have changed.

As much as I respect @KodiakRusty89 I think a double-header at Pocono will reinvigorate the track. I would not pay $100 to see a 400 mile race there driving to/from...I've done it and won't do it again because that's a lot of $$$ and driving for a 2.5 hour race that's hit-or-miss. But I would pay $250 for two races, support division race, Friday activity, and camp at the track. That makes it a real vacation and a LOT of racing.
Good point on Bristol tbh. As a cutoff race I could see people playing it safe just to stay out of trouble and bring points home. That first round or two is usually on the tamer side because one poor result basically sinks you.

I have to say I am a bit surprised NASCAR did as much changing to the schedule as they did. I thought the major changes would take place for 2021 when the current contract with the tracks ends. I like a lot of the changes. I'm not sure about sticking Indy on July 4 weekend. It won't be the same to not be in Daytona at that time. I like Bristol being in the playoffs. But I think attendance will still suffer if they have to go against a Tennessee Vols home football game. Even though the team isn't that good, the fan support is still there. Given the choice, most people will opt to go to or stay home and watch a UT game than to go to Bristol. We'll have to see how that plays out.
They're playing Furman. Granted, it's Furman, but they should draw 100k+ to Neyland nonetheless.

Homestead will have trouble filling up the place. You have the Rolex 24 which does a lot of promotion down south, the Daytona 500 a month before, 12 hours of Sebring, spring break, spring training and basketball.

Man...... I dont agree with some of the things nascar does and in fact I hate the Daytona for Indy swap and think it's a huge mistake. I would hate if I was called a deathbedder, horrible fan, or I whined. I would hope its okay to have a difference of opinion.

Homestead will have trouble filling up the place. You have the Rolex 24 which does a lot of promotion down south, the Daytona 500 a month before, 12 hours of Sebring, spring break, spring training and basketball.
It's the same weekend as the NCAA Tournament and Valspar Championship in Tampa Bay, as well as Sebring weekend. Not digging it at all. Ford already cut the cord. :(

Its not the racing. Ive been watching and involved for over 40 years. Whats changed is the sport has been crippled by assholes on social media. As a fan and a participant thier is no question racing today is better than it was since I started watching in 1973. People are spoiled fools who complain and bitch about something they supposedly love yet they are destroying it for the younger fan who would love to get involved but they are poisioned by no nothing so called fans who end up depriving them the opportunity to watch and judge for themselves.

Do you know any social media asssholes ? a buddy of mine wants to know

... People don't believe that will be the case at Pocono as the Cup races will be shortened and will be supported by a lower division race each day. I know I'm not the only one who is not interested in that. ... Depending one how the format plays out will determine what I decide to do. If the format is changed I'll opt out and attend the IndyCar race at Pocono to support the track.
Okay, I'm lost. You won't go to a shortened 300- or 350-mile Cup race at the track but you'll go to a 312-mile IndyCar race?

Other than Talladega still being in the Playoffs, I really like this schedule. Happy to see the week break in the summer as well.

Other than Talladega still being in the Playoffs, I really like this schedule. Happy to see the week break in the summer as well.
I honestly don't mind Talladega being in the playoffs too much. I mean, three plate races throughout the regular season is enough. They had the plate races evenly drawn out until they decided that the Independence Day Daytona race was not worth keeping.

Worried about Homestead now. Lost Ford as title sponsor and they have a ton of competition that time of year, even just that particular weekend. This place struggled to fill 46k as the championship race, I can only imagine how much it'll drop now.

On the flip side I like Homestead moving to March and getting the championship limelight taken away. It is about two hours from me and now tickets for the cup race will be plentiful. I hope they move up the start times too.

Uh no not even close I don't have the optics for that

iu

McCloud was more at home in NYC as you would be.

Not to mention the GP in St. Pete... Man, I'm hoping Homestead can stay a float. Hopefully, they can advertise the race well down in that Miami-Dade area.

2 races in 2 days ? I would like to see two 2 hour races in one day with a 1 hour break in between so crews can exchange cars.
We could call it the "Double Points Day"

I don't think the practical option for Pocono at this stage was two separate race weekends or a doubleheader, and the track management said "We'll take the doubleheader!". This is the first step in a years-long schedule revision that will see consolidation, and according to Steve Phelps, everything from new venues to different formats to midweek races are on the table starting in 2021.

The choice going forward is a single race or this doubleheader experiment. I think the doubleheader idea is at least worth a shot in that context. It may not work, but they can't know until they try.
I agree with this analysis... the 2020 doubleheader is likely a halfway house to a single race for Pocono, perhaps as soon as 2021.

I wonder if it's possible to do a doubleheader with one on the triangle, and one on a roval? I believe Pocono could have a great roval circuit with some minimum amount of new investment... two long straights connected by Turn 1 plus a twisty section. I realize that isn't the 2020 plan, and the logistics of practice/qual/race on two different configurations may be prohibitive. But that is a doubleheader that could work in a big way, IMO.

Pocono will be a go too race this year I believe. . They are going to run the trucks there also I have heard and they haven't increased the ticket price. This isn't new, Nascar used to run double headers n the past.

We’ve heard about Nascar slashing races from the season but if the doubleheader proves successful it may not happen. Assuming Pocono is a success the same treatment could be given to MIS and Dover and a new type of weekend could happen.

I’m sure there are issues that need to be thought of like what happens if you get a rainy weekend? If Sunday looks bad do you run both races on Saturday? If Saturday looks bad do you run both races on Sunday? How about both races on Monday?

We’ve heard about Nascar slashing races from the season

no "we" haven't. What we read was a reporter quoting reliable sources who they didn't name. The slashing Shark jumpers did what they do. Oh drama. The more reasonable fans wait until somebody who is an officer of Nascar tells the press what Nascar's intentions are..which by the way Nascar with the latest schedule changes weren't known until lately.

I wonder how much impact not having the championships will have. Looks to me like the track is isolated geographically, more than an comfortable day's drive from anywhere outside the state. Three championships might have been enough to get people to make the drive or book a flight, but will they for a 'regular season' weekend?

Actually Nascar was ruined by the sudden boom in popularity and the increased arrogance from them it produced. Nascar thought it could do no wrong and closed tracks, moved dates and built crappy facilities for racing. Then they started messing with the cars and gave us the CoT and the ****box of today.

Blaming NASCARs woes on social media is completely laughable. Nascar is accountable for its own demise.
Actually, those are merely your opinions. My opinion is that Nascar wasn't ruined at all. Your presumptive assertion that Nascar is "ruined" is laughable to this racing fan, who has been frequently thrilled by the racing from those "sh!tbox cars" on those "crappy tracks" right up through last November. In fact, the one track that stands out as a single groove track dominated by aero issues was built in 1960, and that issue has been partially solved by the roval. It still needs progressive banking to restore the World 600 to its former glory, IMO, but the fall date is in great shape.

Of course, I'm all about racing... bare knuckle, heads up, on-track competition... and I don't care much about the early Nascar Lifestyle with its regular joe's and good ol' boys... so YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom