Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Iowa is on life support or so the rumors go...
A Cup date would be the only thing to revive it, so I won't disregard Iowa as a possibility. I still think Road America, Gateway, and ORP are much more likely candidates for a new track

Here's my thought.

Daytona RC as a non-points race the weekend of the 24 hour

COTA will be interesting. Having been there for IMSA and F1, Cup cars will melt the calipers off the end of the backstraight after 10 laps.

Texas loses fall date, returns to spring-only. All Star race companion's the truck/indycar weekend.
They'll add a chicane. *rolls eyes*

I'm no fan of Yap Yap Harvick, but we seem to agree that a top priority for Nascar's future schedule should be races in Montreal and Mexico City. I've been saying this for many years...

It's all good that they're willing to add in more road courses.....BUT.... please please please please remove the stage yellows from them.
Only races that need stages are Daytona #2 and both Talladega races. It screws with strategy and race flow everywhere else

Only races that need stages are Daytona #2 and both Talladega races. It screws with strategy and race flow everywhere else

don't mind em' everywhere else, just want em' gone on road courses (small concession for NASCAR to make imo).

I'm probably the biggest dirt racing fan on the forum. My reaction: Eh, I don't know. If it takes the place of a regular Bristol race, I don't think that is wise. If it's an extra event, why not I suppose?

If they're going to do this, are WoO or real dirt cars going to race on it as well again? That was and would be quite a spectacle.

They'll add a chicane. *rolls eyes*
I've had this argument with my dad and he says it's to make things safer (he follows the sport a fair amount)??

I don't get it because they run these plate races with little to no change after Newman gets hurt yet apparently they need to make the Daytona RC into a carbon copy of the Charlotte Roval?? NASCAR sure likes the term cookie cutter.
Which is exactly what I meant when I told a friend and fellow race fan the other day that the "new" NASCAR sort of gets it, but they sort of still don't.......
You do realize they're ditching a Charlotte race off the schedule for COTA. It's a good compromise.

Who knows what's going on with Iowa. NASCAR desperately needs Iowa or Gateway as a NXS/Truck standalone facility if one of them can't get Cup.
NASCAR is still trying to go to Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville in the future. There's also California converting into a short track in the not too distant future.
I wonder if South Boston is an option. Of all the existing short tracks in the country, that seems most feasible. It's owned by the Mattioli family (Pocono) and they already have a tight relationship with NASCAR.
South Boston should be the next NXS/Truck standalone facility if they're adding Road America & Gateway.

I'm no fan of Yap Yap Harvick, but we seem to agree that a top priority for Nascar's future schedule should be races in Montreal and Mexico City. I've been saying this for many years...

Regarding the picture in the tweet, Kevin Harvick didn't win that race. Robby Gordon absolutely got boned out of that one.

But Montreal sure was fun.

Iowa had most of their staff laid off earlier this year (replaced with some assistance from Kansas) and NASCAR has already owned it for several years with no real changes. If they wanted to make a move there I think they already would have. Summer rumors were it may be preparing for a sale/Penske may have to buy it.

A Cup dirt race at Bristol sounds pretty hokey honestly, especially if it’s a replacement for the spring weekend. The track probably puts on the most consistently good racing anywhere in the series right now so it doesn’t seem like something to mess with, to me at least.

They have removed a race from Texas for COTA and moved the All Star race to Texas

I get that, I just don't get the complaining when they're taking away Charlotte All Star Race (normal years) and moving it to Texas. We all know ISC (not saying they're involved here) and SMI is a business and as far as I'm concerned it's a good compromise.

I get that, I just don't get the complaining when they're taking away Charlotte All Star Race (normal years) and moving it to Texas. We all know ISC (not saying they're involved here) and SMI is a business and as far as I'm concerned it's a good compromise.
you said they are ditching a race from Charlotte

Iowa had most of their staff laid off earlier this year (replaced with some assistance from Kansas) and NASCAR has already owned it for several years with no real changes. If they wanted to make a move there I think they already would have. Summer rumors were it may be preparing for a sale/Penske may have to buy it.

A Cup dirt race at Bristol sounds pretty hokey honestly, especially if it’s a replacement for the spring weekend. The track probably puts on the most consistently good racing anywhere in the series right now so it doesn’t seem like something to mess with, to me at least.

There have been rumors of Nascar having a dirt race with the new schedule. Bristol kinda make sense because of the safety aspect and it is close to home for them but it sure sounds weird to me

you said they are ditching a race from Charlotte

Well, aren't they? Hasn't the All Star Race been at Charlotte for 30 years and the only reason it wasn't this year because of a pandemic?

Cmon now. NASCAR switched out a 1.5 mile race for a road course and I still see complaints. Looks like Bruton & Jim France are trying to make positive changes.

Well, aren't they? Hasn't the All Star Race been at Charlotte for 30 years and the only reason it wasn't this year because of a pandemic?

Cmon now. NASCAR switched out a 1.5 mile race for a road course and I still see complaints. Looks like Bruton & Jim France are trying to make positive changes.

looks to me they are keeping the All Star race under the SMI umbrella Charlotte Bristol and now Texas. :idunno:

looks to me they are keeping the All Star race under the SMI umbrella Charlotte Bristol and now Texas. :idunno:

Last I checked COTA isn't under the SMI umbrella so obviously they're making a 3 way deal with them for the sake of bringing in new fans and a growing San Antonio/Austin population, seems like a win to me?

Stock cars don't work on dirt. Eldora had a few good races but it's turned into an annual demolition derby. It's tough to maintain a track surface for 150 laps with 32 trucks. Now you want to put 40 Cup cars on dirt for how long of a race? 150 laps won't cut it- too short, not enough commercial slots, I doubt the networks would go for it. 250-300 laps and they'd be racing a single-groove track for the final half.

The longest dirt race I know of is actually in my neighborhood at Orange County- they start 40+ dirt modifieds for 200 laps on a 5/8th mile track.

It would be a REALLY cool All-Star race with 20 drivers and a feature that's roughly 150 laps- perfect for an All-Star timeslot. They can do track prep in-between segments.

I have stupid questions. I don't know squat about setting up a dirt track. How do they keep the dirt in place on 30 degree concrete banking if it rains heavily? How long would it take to get it back into race condition?

I’m not really feeling a dirt race at Bristol myself, especially if it’s at the expense of the spring race because let’s face it I feel like that’s the one everyone wants to move to another track or get rid of it all together. There’s nothing wrong with the spring race, there’s nothing wrong with Bristol at all. This is the one place that shouldn’t be messed with in any way shape or form. A dirt race there just screams dare I say....a gimmick to me. It’s not needed specially at this place, so far what they’ve done with the schedule I think is great. Dirt race not one of them

Brad's right for sure about one thing. If they did do Bristol on dirt, fan interest would be strong. I know the fans and the scoffers everywhere would ALL be eyes on if they did it.

Is NASCAR still looking to do street races? Miami was one I thought I read and also NASCAR wanted to race inside Soldier Field. These schedule rumors have been silly in their own right

Is NASCAR still looking to do street races? Miami was one I thought I read and also NASCAR wanted to race inside Soldier Field. These schedule rumors have been silly in their own right
It is either Road America or St. Petersburg. Likely RA since they have been wanting a Cup race for a while, plus I heard from an inside source a couple months back that RA was trying to schedule a Cup race within a week of the Slinger nationals

I was told by my source it would be Road America. He’s a dad of one of the drivers.
The Dad for the win! If it’s Road America, wonder what track it’s replacing. Have a bad feeling about my home track of Chicagoland at this point

Yes, I remember, and would be more excited for a repeat of that.

One reason it is a surprise is that one of the reasons cited for why it was only done twice (2000 and 2001) and never again is that the process damaged both the underlying track surface and surrounding roads.
And if you look closely, several levels of seats are covered in dirt. Fans bring goggles.

And if you look closely, several levels of seats are covered in dirt. Fans bring goggles.
I mean thats just dirt racing. However in my experience sprint cars throw a lot more dirt being open wheel vs late models where a lot of whats thrown seems to get caught under the car.

Back
Top Bottom