Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

The whole year for all SMI properties, not just NH.
So the percentage of the money is quite different for the race weekend.
If they have 2 races and 12 other events on other dates, it sure changes the picture. Loosing a race in normal times would make a huge difference in the profitability of the track.

When it comes to financials all I've learned is don't believe anything that they actually tell you. So many corporations twist money to show it however it best fits them whether it be for shareholders or taxes. Way too many companies consistently show losses yet give out substantial bonuses

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When it comes to financials all I've learned is don't believe anything that they actually tell you. So many corporations twist money to show it however it best fits them whether it be for shareholders or taxes. Way too many companies consistently show losses yet give out substantial bonuses

We’re talking about annual SEC filings made by publicly traded corporations, not a private company’s “financials”.

Last edited:
So the percentage of the money is quite different for the race weekend.
If they have 2 races and 12 other events on other dates, it sure changes the picture. Loosing a race in normal times would make a huge difference in the profitability of the track.
Yeah, I was responding mostly to the question of track income mix, not so much to effect of the loss of a race date.

We’re talking about annual SEC filings made by publicly traded corporations, not “financials”.
I used to work for a publicly traded company that has claimed to have shown losses in the several millions the last few years. Like I said you can twist it anyway you want. Like charging companies in the same corporation for parts and services with a substantial markup, holding off paying debts until after financial reports have been completed and they even were charging us a fee to use their name in business even though they owned us. And yet at the end of the year everyone still managed to get a significant bonus!

You have no idea what the hell you’re talking about.

In this case, the conversation concerns the financial effect of lowered attendance figures on the operating statements of NASCAR sanctioned racetracks. The SEC filings for SMI break down their revenue streams for the corporation as a whole and by track. There is no incentive, financial, tax-wise or otherwise to fudge any of those figures. And it would be illegal.

I can break it down more simply ... attendance matters.

Anyone read or hear when NASCAR is supposed to release the 22 schedule? I thought in years past by now we’d have the schedule in it’s entirety or pieces would be leaking out. Nothing so far, it’s been pretty tight lipped, I’m hoping during this 2 weeks off we start to hear some scuttlebutt

Anyone read or hear when NASCAR is supposed to release the 22 schedule? I thought in years past by now we’d have the schedule in it’s entirety or pieces would be leaking out. Nothing so far, it’s been pretty tight lipped, I’m hoping during this 2 weeks off we start to hear some scuttlebutt
I know Bob Pockrass tweeted a few weeks back he expected it in 6 to 8 weeks from then

I'd keep Bristol and Martinsville at 2 races per year but those are my favorites. Everything else @ 1 race a year would be plenty.
Bristol, Martinsville, Daytona, Charlotte (Roval and oval). That should be it.

I don’t hate it. F1 takes a break each year. I don’t think NBC would sign off on it though

I don’t hate it. F1 takes a break each year. I don’t think NBC would sign off on it though
Employees get more time off and want to make it permanent.

Next at 7:00, water is wet.

Nah, I get paid a five-digit salary to work 5 days a week 12 months of the year. These guys get paid millions of millions to work 4-5 days a week 9 months of the year.

For the record baseball players are at the stadium or travelling essentially everyday for 7-8 months depending on spring training and postseason.

I know this is all apples to oranges but you're not gonna convince me being a NASCAR driver is one of the cushier gigs in professional sports.

Nah, I get paid a five-digit salary to work 5 days a week 12 months of the year. These guys get paid millions of millions to work 4-5 days a week 9 months of the year.

For the record baseball players are at the stadium or travelling essentially everyday for 7-8 months depending on spring training and postseason.

I know this is all apples to oranges but you're not gonna convince me being a NASCAR driver is one of the cushier gigs in professional sports.
Honestly I'm jus not much of a sports fan other than racing (I was raised that way), so I'm a bit biased, but regardless I think drivers deserve it more than the others due to the level of danger they constantly put themselves in. Risk vs reward.

respectfully...no one is paying to watch you do your job 5 days a week 12 months a year. Your other parts of your post I will say that’s the life of a professional athlete they sign up to do it( travel, practices, lifestyle-family sacrifices) and are paid handsomely for it. I don’t think it’s bad if we can improve these drivers, teams and industry professionals quality of life just a tad during their seasons

respectfully...no one is paying to watch you do your job 5 days a week 12 months a year. Your other parts of your post I will say that’s the life of a professional athlete they sign up to do it( travel, practices, lifestyle-family sacrifices) and are paid handsomely for it. I don’t think it’s bad if we can improve these drivers, teams and industry professionals quality of life just a tad during their seasons
Their quality of life far out runs any of ours, they don't need or deserve it.

I was hoping that the reduced time at the track was helping the drivers in the family time department. I think that it is also cool that if you can't vacation in the summer that one has the resources to find summer somewhere else. Has Kyle Larson chimed in on this?

Depends on where you are talking about.

A place like Darlington? That place is a dump and it’s obvious the lowest amount of effort was put into fan experience. Costs of maintenance and seasonal employees can’t be significant.

Places like Las Vegas, Charlotte, or Daytona? Total fan experience and worth every penny spent. Costs of maintenance are far higher.
Darlington is not a dump and they just spent millions on upgrades. Another stupid post. Keep em coming!

Say the boss walks in and says, "Everybody take a couple of weeks off. I'll even toss in some pay."

A buddy asks you how you like it. You say it's great and you wish it would become a regular thing every year.

Are you complaining about how hard your job is and expecting some sympathy, or are you just answering someone's question about what you prefer?

Their quality of life far out runs any of ours, they don't need or deserve it.
You don’t know that. They don’t deserve a good quality of life in season because they have more money than us? That’s a terrible take because you’re not even factoring in Mental Health (which is what I was getting at with my initial post) . I don’t think drivers/team personnel need to be beaten into the ground because they make more money than me.

Run the SRX series during their break and I could care less, but this almost three weeks in one shot sucks from any angle
CBS probably wanted SRX done before the Olys kicked in. Regardless of my opinion of the games, TV programmers probably saw no reason to spend money putting new content up against a juggernaut.

CBS probably wanted SRX done before the Olys kicked in. Regardless of my opinion of the games, TV programmers probably saw no reason to spend money putting new content up against a juggernaut.
You forget you are answering somebody (me) that could give two hoots in hell for the olympics. They have racing when foobah season is on

You forget you are answering somebody (me) that could give two hoots in hell for the olympics. They have racing when foobah season is on
Hey, I don't care about the Olympics either, or football for that matter. I'm just laying out the network point of view.

If another network had the contract for the Olys instead of NBC, we'd be watching racing this weekend. You know how to follow the money as well as I do.

Hey, I don't care about the Olympics either, or football for that matter. I'm just laying out the network point of view.

If another network had the contract for the Olys instead of NBC, we'd be watching racing this weekend. You know how to follow the money as well as I do.
I didn't read the article, but I assumed the hook was about drivers/series were discussing a break in the race schedule

Wow, class envy much?

I don't mind Cup taking a two week break but since they'll be no olympics next year, just don't give all three series a break at the same time.

Agreed. I'm fine with giving Cup/Xfinity a two week break in the summer, especially since a lot of guys in NASCAR work in both series. But I think it would be a good opportunity to feature a couple Truck races in that span. Do something really cool and special, maybe a Sunday race at a road course and a Saturday night Martinsville race the next week.

You all can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

They have a privilege for a job and get to spend more time with their family and time off then most people do.

As for class envy I'd rather eat the rich then kiss their ass and thank them for the privilege.

They have a privilege for a job and get to spend more time with their family and time off then most people do.

As for class envy I'd rather eat the rich then kiss their ass and thank them for the privilege.
Tell me, how did they get this privilege?

The drivers deserve time off and so do all the teams.

NASCAR probably has the most demanding schedule in all of sports, next to baseball in terms of being active 3/4ths of the year. On the road for all that time, I say I like the break for a few additional weeks.

It's necessary, because when you're a professional at something a lot more time is dedicated towards not only their respected craft. All the meetings, media, meet and greets, etc. A lot goes into it. So, I'm not sure why its being questioned.

Their just like us, but they just make more money and honestly are not any different from us that work 9-5s. It's just done differently.

The grass is greener where you water it, my friend. You are way too passionate about what other people do with their own money.

They are certainly privileged and they have talents that 98% of the world population doesn’t have. They work less than most people because of it. Suck it up. Unless they are bitching about their lives being harder than the average person, who cares?

They all have foundations that give tens of millions of dollars to amazing organizations and groups of people that help the sick and less fortunate. They all give time to their sponsors that employee thousands of people and put food on their family’s tables. Some operate their own companies and have hired a number of employees and they pay them well. Their face is a brand that fuels tens of millions or more in revenue via merch and ticket sales.

What have you done?

Last edited:

I truly feel sorry for someone with such a world view. I hope you'll look inside yourself someday and find out where (besides envy) this hatred comes from.

1627521029792.gif

and with the post above...I think I’m about ready to go back to my own break from these parts....

Back
Top Bottom