Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Oh, no doubt. So do those crappy filled-tortilla things on the hot metal rollers at 7-Eleven.

Remind me, were the problems selling the seats at Atlanta pre-COVID? Problems that were noticeably worse than other tracks in the late 20-teens?
I'm not sure what the question is?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is Kentucky with the "DW" shaped garage
That is a FABULOUS garage, among the best in NASCAR. Unfortunately, much of it is about a half mile from pit road, and it's uphill all the way. The closest I ever came to just plain dropping dead was help pushing a car on the run from the center of the garage area, up to the entrance end of pit road and then down to the exit end for a qualifying run. We were late through inspection, on the clock, and got into the line with a minute to spare. Then the car two in front of us crashed on his run, and we all sat down there for a half an hour. It MAY have been Jerry Glanville, can't remember, but he had a wicked wreck in qualifying down there.

It sells.
I assume 'it' means pack racing.
Remind me, were the problems selling the seats at Atlanta pre-COVID? Problems that were noticeably worse than other tracks in the late 20-teens?
The question is, if there weren't problems selling tickets to Atlanta, why make such a radical change?

I believe Iowa was actually a Rusty Wallace design, but I could be wrong.
It was and he wanted to make it a bigger version of Richmond because Richmond was his favorite track as a driver.

I believe he also originally wanted it built in Washington state but I could be thinking of a different track

It might end up being the best track on the schedule especially for casual fans. I think NASCAR's entire goal with this car, the new track reconfigurations, addition of rovals and road courses, and a 2022/2023 street course was to reach a wider audience. Their work since Brian was removed may end up being brilliant and could bring the sport back to early 2000 levels
I doubt it, but you never know

I bet these are the same kind of people that throw child-like tantrums over fireworks and dogs.

Fireworks have been popping off long before your decision to get a dog. If you don’t want to hear race cars, don’t move next to a race track.

I bet these are the same kind of people that throw child-like tantrums over fireworks and dogs.

Fireworks have been popping off long before your decision to get a dog. If you don’t want to hear race cars, don’t move next to a race track.

There needs to be a rule where if you move next to an existing race track, you should lose your right to complain about noise

It kind of hurts to say this because there's some places I really like, but I have to agree with some in saying that in order to get new life into nascar we shouldn't be visiting any track twice in the same season (or at least in the same configuration).

Right now I think we go to somewhere around 10 tracks twice in the same season under the same configuration. Look at all the new places we could go without extending the schedule.

I'd keep Bristol and Martinsville at 2 races per year but those are my favorites. Everything else @ 1 race a year would be plenty.

I will be fair here… some places fireworks are illegal when people get said dog, and then become legal later on. That would fall under the same category of them building a track after you move there. Neither would bother me, but I think people who lived somewhere you couldn’t shoot them, has a right to complain if the law changes.

I'd keep Bristol and Martinsville at 2 races per year but those are my favorites. Everything else @ 1 race a year would be plenty.

Agreed.

They can keep running the Bristol dirt race in the spring, just don't mess with the classic Bristol night race in August. As far as Martinsville, I can definitely justify two races a year, especially now that they have lights.

If everyone lost their second date, could those tracks make enough money to remain profitable? What's the sense of owning a race track for ONE weekend of activity per year? Do any of you actually know the finances of these tracks?

If everyone lost their second date, could those tracks make enough money to remain profitable? What's the sense of owning a race track for ONE weekend of activity per year? Do any of you actually know the finances of these tracks?
Depends on where you are talking about.

A place like Darlington? That place is a dump and it’s obvious the lowest amount of effort was put into fan experience. Costs of maintenance and seasonal employees can’t be significant.

Places like Las Vegas, Charlotte, or Daytona? Total fan experience and worth every penny spent. Costs of maintenance are far higher.

In my estimation, NASCAR hit it right on tracks they go to twice a year. I think it’s easy to debate how many races a track should host or even say they don’t deserve a date at all without knowing the financial component of it. There’s places I wish they’d race at but obviously arnt because it’s probably a loser financially. I think the schedule is great now, I think there’s 2 too many road courses but I have a feeling that will correct itself in the future

It's a matter of utilizing the track for other things besides nascar. Other racing series, driving schools, concerts.......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agreed.

They can keep running the Bristol dirt race in the spring, just don't mess with the classic Bristol night race in August. As far as Martinsville, I can definitely justify two races a year, especially now that they have lights.

September

It's a matter of utilizing the track for other things besides nascar. Other racing series, driving schools, concerts.......

Can they do that and make enough profit considering the investments?

Great question. I wonder how much revenue and net profit the tracks actually pull in on race ticket sales. For the last several years, my guess would be ticket sales are not that significant.

Great question. I wonder how much revenue and net profit the tracks actually pull in on race ticket sales. For the last several years, my guess would be ticket sales are not that significant.
I have to think ticket revenue is very small compared to TV money and sponsorships

It kind of hurts to say this because there's some places I really like, but I have to agree with some in saying that in order to get new life into nascar we shouldn't be visiting any track twice in the same season (or at least in the same configuration).

Right now I think we go to somewhere around 10 tracks twice in the same season under the same configuration. Look at all the new places we could go without extending the schedule.
I mean, you aren't wrong..

I believe only Charlotte, Bristol, Daytona, Martinsville, and Talladega deserve two dates..

My understanding is the TV package is what pays the most and from that they
pay out the purses. The ticket sales is bonus money. Of course during the Pandemic they got no ticket sales. Then again track sponsor money would still be available.

My understanding is the TV package is what pays the most and from that they
pay out the purses. The ticket sales is bonus money. Of course during the Pandemic they got no ticket sales. Then again track sponsor money would still be available.
A while back, someone (SOI?) posted SMI's annual statement for 2019. I recall it showed almost as much revenue from camping and other event-related sales (souvenirs, food, etc) as from TV. My faulty memory has those two around 40% each, with ticket sales a distant third at maybe 15%.

A while back, someone (SOI?) posted SMI's annual statement for 2019. I recall it showed almost as much revenue from camping and other event-related sales (souvenirs, food, etc) as from TV. My faulty memory has those two around 40% each, with ticket sales a distant third at maybe 15%.
I posted that.

Your memory is pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom