Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

I don't know how much heat this rivalry has, but Eddie Gossage and NBC are down to try just about anything. :rolleyes:

TcAnWdB.png

You posted about a closed track in a discussion about changes to the schedule. Forgive me for assuming your post was on the topic at hand; silly of me.
Oh, I didn't answer your question. "Figure out why you didn't post this somewhere more appropriate", like the Random discussion.
Lmao Jesus...next time I’ll make sure to be aware of what I’m posting. I’m sorry I have way more important things to worry about than board etiquette and I’ll toot my own horn and say I don’t spam this place since I joined here . Felt I’ve done a pretty good job of staying on topic of threads I’m in. If you’re this bent out of shape about my previous posts in this thread, I think there’s an ignore/block option, feel free to use it. And for what it’s worth if memory serves me correct, there are posts in this same thread about Nashville also a track nascar doesn’t race it.

Lmao Jesus...next time I’ll make sure to be aware of what I’m posting. I’m sorry I have way more important things to worry about than board etiquette and I’ll toot my own horn and say I don’t spam this place since I joined here . Felt I’ve done a pretty good job of staying on topic of threads I’m in. If you’re this bent out of shape about my previous posts in this thread, I think there’s an ignore/block option, feel free to use it. And for what it’s worth if memory serves me correct, there are posts in this same thread about Nashville also a track nascar doesn’t race it.
I'm not out of shape. I was mostly confused. I explained why; I don't get why you chose this discussion. If you'd put it in Random, I doubt I'd have responded at all.

Post what you want where you want, but don't be surprised if people misunderstand. It's not a matter of etiquette as much as it is of clarity.

hope this is the right place to post this and its clear enough..... but it looks like the soccer stadium won.

What is clear is that the Formosas lost. Less clear is what it means for the future of the track and whether it will be leased to SMI or another party. However, I wouldn't hold it against anyone who isn't optimistic Nashville will be hosting national NASCAR races.

What is clear is that the Formosas lost. Less clear is what it means for the future of the track and whether it will be leased to SMI or another party. However, I wouldn't hold it against anyone who isn't optimistic Nashville will be hosting national NASCAR races.
which makes it seem like a wee bit of a waste to have the banquet there if there's not going to be a race. But thats just my observation on the matter

What SMI track is losing a race in favor of Nashville is my question if it is built.

Actually, SMI still showed interest in the speedway, this could in theory allow SMI to bid to outright buy the facility from the city

I think Bristol is the logical option over Texas or Las Vegas. But lots of fans are wanting more short tracks and that doesn't solve anything.
Agreed. Moving a race from Bristol would not be an improvement in the number of short track races. It would just make the most sense (in my opinion).

Lord, please no. Other series have tried the street and parking lot approach before, and with the notable exception of Long Beach, which is more of a party than a race, it has never ended very well. There is also the plain fact that NASCAR cars are even less suited to those tracks than the other cars that have failed on them.

Lord, please no. Other series have tried the street and parking lot approach before, and with the notable exception of Long Beach, which is more of a party than a race, it has never ended very well. There is also the plain fact that NASCAR cars are even less suited to those tracks than the other cars that have failed on them.
airport race tracks are pretty good,
wide open spaces allow for many different racing lines.

I've always thought NASCAR would work better then most series on street courses because you can actually make contact in a stock car.

How feasible is safely enclosing a street or airport course for 3400-lb stock cars?

Who pays for all the setup and operation of a street course, NASCAR or the host city?

Even if NASCAR foots the bill, are there 'major cities' willing to accept several days of disruption? Just because NASCAR wants to be somewhere (read: NYC, since LA and Chicago already have tracks) doesn't mean the locals are waiting with open arms.

How feasible is safely enclosing a street or airport course for 3400-lb stock cars?

Who pays for all the setup and operation of a street course, NASCAR or the host city?

Even if NASCAR foots the bill, are there 'major cities' willing to accept several days of disruption? Just because NASCAR wants to be somewhere (read: NYC, since LA and Chicago already have tracks) doesn't mean the locals are waiting with open arms.

They shouldn't have any trouble with a street course in Detroit. Canada's Pintys series similar to Nascar has a heck of a street race already. I really don't know anywhere that weight would be a problem.

Philly has a stadium complex that would be very easy to use, though Dover and Pocono would not approve, but both are independent tracks so NASCAR could tell them to suck a lemon

I think Phelps and company are using Stern to float this and gauge reception. Wanting to be in "major markets" again sounds like the late '90s all over again.

It sounds like the Gen 7 will be a little lighter overall, and there have been comments from drivers in early tests about how it "drives like a race car should". Read more nimble. The new suspension is also obviously a major factor.

I don't have a problem with them attempting a street race. Phelps has been all over the place in his comments about 2021 schedule realignment, from everything is on the table to don't expect a huge overhaul. The next year will be interesting to watch.

I think Phelps and company are using Stern to float this and gauge reception.

It sounds like the Gen 7 will be a little lighter overall, and there have been comments from drivers in the early tests about how it "drives like a race car should". Read more nimble. The new suspension is also obviously a major factor.

I don't have a problem with them attempting a street race. Phelps has been all over the place in his comments about 2021 schedule realignment, from everything is on the table to don't expect a huge overhaul. The next year will be interesting to watch.

Driver. Cowboy hat is the only one who drove the test car so his opinion is the only one so far about how the car drove..scary if ya think about it. :idunno:

NASCAR used to race at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

I'd love to see a street race in a major city. IMO, the racing would be better than people think.

ARCA held a race in Des Moines. The old Southwest Tour raced in Los Angeles more than once (which allowed for a Mark Martin cameo in Baywatch). The Xfinity Series has raced at Montreal, which is a street course for all intents and purposes. They also raced in Mexico City which is a mostly-flat track with almost no elevation change. The Truck Series has raced at Portland International, which also has next to no elevation change.

The atmosphere at street races is incredible in IndyCar. The Baltimore Grand Prix was an event I always had a blast going to. There is so much a street course offers for fans too. Local restaurants, breathtaking views.

I'm 100% for this.

I guess what it boils down is what do you think the major issue is? Is it that many of the tracks NASCAR races on suck, or that the tracks are in the wrong places. If you feel that it is a competition issue like I do, then doing street races won't help one bit, in fact it will hurt.

I guess what it boils down is what do you think the major issue is? Is it that many of the tracks NASCAR races on suck, or that the tracks are in the wrong places. If you feel that it is a competition issue like I do, then doing street races won't help one bit, in fact it will hurt.

That's your opinion. I see a street race as an event that's attracts potential fans and draws interest to the sport. Doesn't have anything to do with tracks sucking or the competition. Now that Nascar owns the whole thing there is some wiggle room in the schedule. Taking a date from a track that has two is easy peasy now.

I think it's a variety of issues. Tracks themselves, competition package, the drivers, and location.

But the main thing is that the crowd has changed. All these sports leagues struggling with attendance and blaming it on millennials have to start asking themselves why millennials and Gen-Z will rush to the movie theater in record numbers anytime a ****** Marvel Cinematic Universe movie is released, or flock to rock festivals like Epicenter or country "music" concerts.

The atmosphere at street races is incredible in IndyCar. The Baltimore Grand Prix was an event I always had a blast going to. There is so much a street course offers for fans too. Local restaurants, breathtaking views.
It also boils down to what people want from a sporting event. Personally, I don't care about atmosphere. I can get restaurants and views in a town anytime without having to deal with the hassle of a race crowd. None of that's going to draw me on a regular basis if the racing isn't any good, whether that's due to the layout or the cars or both. But what do I know, I'll never go back to the atmosphere and spectacle of the I500 either since I can't see 90% of the track (another downside of street courses). Tens of thousands of people pay to attend the Kentucky Derby and many of them never lay eyes on a horse, so I must be missing something about 'atmosphere'.

I have no problem with flat courses, but Mexico and Portland road courses are existing facilities ready for racing that don't require cooperation and sacrifices from local governments. I'm back to the question of which 'major' cities that don't already have a dedicated facility are beating down the door to host a street course? If street courses are such a good idea, why aren't Houston and Baltimore still being run? What lessons can NASCAR and potential host cities learn from them?

Last edited:
No... just say no to street races. NASCAR needs to refocus on their core customers and fanbase not go chasing new markets and new demographics all over again. We saw how this worked out last time and I thought Phelps had finally come to his senses on this. There's a 0% chance a street race in Seattle or NYC will do anything but hurt the whole sport.

Just race. I dont care where, when, or how. Its a race and everybody plays on the same surface. Lets go

NASCAR needs to refocus on their core customers and fanbase
That core is getting long in the tooth. Every business has to attract new customers. The alternative is watching that core die off and having nothing to replace it.

Driver. Cowboy hat is the only one who drove the test car so his opinion is the only one so far about how the car drove..scary if ya think about it. :idunno:

Fair point. I forgot the other driver comments have been indirect observations, not hands-on driving.

It also boils down to what people want from a sporting event. Personally, I don't care about atmosphere. I can get restaurants and views in a town anytime without having to deal with the hassle of a race crowd. None of that's going to draw me on a regular basis if the racing isn't any good, whether that's due to the layout or the cars or both. But what do I know, I'll never go back to the atmosphere and spectacle of the I500 either since I can't see 90% of the track (another downside of street courses). Tens of thousands of people pay to attend the Kentucky Derby and many of them never lay eyes on a horse, so I must be missing something about 'atmosphere'.

I have no problem with flat courses, but Mexico and Portland road courses are existing facilities ready for racing that don't require cooperation and sacrifices from local governments. I'm back to the question of which 'major' cities that don't already have a dedicated facility are beating down the door to host a street course? If street courses are such a good idea, why aren't Houston and Baltimore still being run? What lessons can NASCAR and potential host cities learn from them?

Things have to be events nowadays though. CARS Tour puts on events when they go to Hickory, Rougemont, and Carteret County and they draw huge crowds.

The days of just saying "We're racing this weekend" or "NASCAR Cup Series race" are over. There has to be more to draw people in.

Things have to be events nowadays though. CARS Tour puts on events when they go to Hickory, Rougemont, and Carteret County and they draw huge crowds.

The days of just saying "We're racing this weekend" or "NASCAR Cup Series race" are over. There has to be more to draw people in.
Huge crowds? Come on man

Back
Top Bottom