Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Brickyard 400 on Independence Day weekend may be one-and-done...

Hmmm sounds ominous to me what does "Brickyard beyond 2020 being evaluated" mean? A new date maybe? off the schedule? And what of the endurance race, is that an IMSA race I would imagine being held there?? So many questions, cant wait to see how it shakes out. Xfinity on the Road course I have no problem with, they shouldnt be racing on the oval anyway that should be reserved for Cup. I am holding out hope that the Brickyard 400 will be run at night in 2021, a Saturday night in August would be ideal. Also hope the Firecracker 400 goes back to July 4th weekend if Brickyard date is going to be vacated.

cup 3 races in one weekend finally at daytona,
superspeedway friday, roadcourse saturday, sunday short track utilizing pit road and tri-oval as makeshift course, backstretch used as new pit road. driver with best point total of 3 races wins cup.
rain might be a problem.
But, but, muh 'Game Sebun' moment!

Hmmm sounds ominous to me what does "Brickyard beyond 2020 being evaluated" mean? A new date maybe? off the schedule? And what of the endurance race, is that an IMSA race I would imagine being held there?? So many questions, cant wait to see how it shakes out. Xfinity on the Road course I have no problem with, they shouldnt be racing on the oval anyway that should be reserved for Cup. I am holding out hope that the Brickyard 400 will be run at night in 2021, a Saturday night in August would be ideal. Also hope the Firecracker 400 goes back to July 4th weekend if Brickyard date is going to be vacated.
Don't know if you saw the newest posts in the 2020 Xfinity thread. IMS announced the Xfinity race will be on the road course and the Cup race on the oval. Some seem to think they could swap those next season. Who knows at this point.

Indy better hope they don't get a rainout like two years ago where they ran both races on the same day. I also can't fathom why anybody thinks stock cars on that course will be worth a damn. It was EXTREMELY marginal as a sports car track.

Indy better hope they don't get a rainout like two years ago where they ran both races on the same day. I also can't fathom why anybody thinks stock cars on that course will be worth a damn. It was EXTREMELY marginal as a sports car track.
they have run three races on the same day and had rain outs. So what it happens, has for years. Are u a professional worrier or what.

I'm not sure why this would be a problem. Tracks have managed it before, back when the stands were full for both races. Now it's not even worth clearing the X attendees out afterward. Let the Cup ticket holders have the seats they purchased and move the X attendees around. The extra bodies will look better on the tube.

As to whether the r/c is any good, I'm always willing to see different track configurations. It can't be any worse than the first X race on the oval. Snoozarama.

they have run three races on the same day and had rain outs. So what it happens, has for years. Are u a professional worrier or what.

You have to reconfigure the track from road course to oval or vice-versa. I know they have gotten faster at that, but it takes more time than they would likely have.

I'm not sure why this would be a problem. Tracks have managed it before, back when the stands were full for both races. Now it's not even worth clearing the X attendees out afterward. Let the Cup ticket holders have the seats they purchased and move the X attendees around. The extra bodies will look better on the tube.

As to whether the r/c is any good, I'm always willing to see different track configurations. It can't be any worse than the first X race on the oval. Snoozarama.

Nobody is any more excited than me for the prospect of more road courses in NASCAR, but I fear crappy ones will will kill the movement. A LOT of fans don't like them or are on the fence about it. Races like we have had at Watkins Glen the last few years REALLY help the cause, even the **** shows at Charlotte probably haven't hurt, but Indy is a momentum killer in my opinion. Three sportscar races there produced pretty much zero highlight moments.

The will let some of the changes slide for practice, but not the race. They did that when the sportscar race and the Cup and Xfinity practice were intertwined. They didn't move ALL the barriers, just enough to get by.

The will let some of the changes slide for practice, but not the race. They did that when the sportscar race and the Cup and Xfinity practice were intertwined. They didn't move ALL the barriers, just enough to get by.
The races are on different days. geesh.

My whole point was predicated on there being a rainout and them having to run both races on the same day like they did in 2018.
Okay, obviously I've never turned around a track between events. Other than picking up some cones, what would have to be done because of the different track layouts, other than what would have to be done for any 'normal' unscheduled double-header?

At Indy, big areas off Oval 2 and between Pit in and Oval 4 needs to be closed off with concrete and Safer barriers. Also Hulman Blvd, the street that goes north-south through the infield is a big part of the road course, has to have barriers removed in several locations so that NASCAR race traffic and support vehicles can use it. My guess is it would take 4-6 hours MINIMUM to change everything over.

At Indy, big areas off Oval 2 and between Pit in and Oval 4 needs to be closed off with concrete and Safer barriers. Also Hulman Blvd, the street that goes north-south through the infield is a big part of the road course, has to have barriers removed in several locations so that NASCAR race traffic and support vehicles can use it. My guess is it would take 4-6 hours MINIMUM to change everything over.

The experts don't think so apparently when doing the math. :idunno:

A lot of this is because the track did a good job pushing out renewals and offering good discounts. Plus, given the double-header weekend they had to completely redo the camping setup including making turn 1 reserved. The camping demand isn't surprising because they knew people were going to make sure they didn't get left out due to the 2 renewals for 1 spot situation the double-header weekend created. This setup is definitely geared towards multi-day musical festival type camping.

I'm llikely going to the Saturday races since the cup/trucks is more "different". Plus, Saturday should offer more "unknowns" in the Cup race. As is recent tradition i'll wait until a week or two before to purchase my ticket. Spring Martsinville is the only race in 2019 I renewed.

You know, I kinda wish we would get Daytona as the season finale, just to utterly expose this championship format for the sham it is. Seeing NASCAR scramble to damage control after the Championship 4 all (all but one) get taken out in the Big One, would be just as entertaining as the race itself.
Daytona Roval for sure.

Friday 5: As season nears, a bigger deadline looms for NASCAR

It is less than 10 weeks from NASCAR President Steve Phelps’ self-imposed deadline of announcing the 2021 schedule around April 1.
Among Newmark’s suggestions of where NASCAR should consider racing at some point: “Mexico, Canada, street courses, different road courses, different short tracks, look at it all.”

Ryan Newman, who enters his second year at Roush Fenway Racing, said that NASCAR should consider running a Cup race on dirt.
“But we’ve got to mix it up and make the fans want to see something different, want to see something new. A different driver. A different venue. A different type of anything. Not just a Next Gen car, that’s a part of it. … Going dirt racing can be done with the Next Gen car. If Junior Johnson was here, he’d tell you, ‘Let’s go race dirt.’ I’m telling you.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/01/24/steve-phelps-ryan-newman-kyle-busch-nascar-rolex-daytona/

lights? how many does Daytona have
upload_2020-1-24_22-28-42.png

lights? how many does Daytona have
View attachment 43977
I’ve read so many conflicting articles lately about Roger putting in lights, Robin Miller’s mailbag last week on Racer.com said Roger squashed the idea of lights when the price was said to be around 20 million to light the place. But other articles I’ve read seems Penske and Co are still keen on the idea of doing it.

So I hope and pray that when the new schedule is released, I touched on this earlier in the thread that the Championship race ends up rotating each year because of the Super Bowl/College Football Playoff feeling it will generate even more so than it does now. After thinking about it some more I came up with the Daytona Road Course to add to the list. I think we came up with Fontana, Phoenix, Miami, Charlotte, Charlotte Roval and Atlanta as the venues/tracks that would rotate among the Championship Race Finale. I think if NASCAR goes this route it’d be a major plus.

So I hope and pray that when the new schedule is released, I touched on this earlier in the thread that the Championship race ends up rotating each year because of the Super Bowl/College Football Playoff feeling it will generate even more so than it does now. After thinking about it some more I came up with the Daytona Road Course to add to the list. I think we came up with Fontana, Phoenix, Miami, Charlotte, Charlotte Roval and Atlanta as the venues/tracks that would rotate among the Championship Race Finale. I think if NASCAR goes this route it’d be a major plus.
I like your idea for the simple reason that rotating the final race lets no one team concentrate all their efforts on a particular type of race.
However being late in the season the area with decent weather shrinks.

However, I'm concerned that NASCAR is going to abandon Homestead-Miami Speedway and go to the proposed Hard Rock Stadium circuit instead. Because they insisted on street circuits

I like your idea for the simple reason that rotating the final race lets no one team concentrate all their efforts on a particular type of race.
However being late in the season the area with decent weather shrinks.

I'd love to see the entire slate of chase races rotate through different venues. This way the traditional tracks get a second date every few 3-4 years while blending in a handful of new venues. It would help create demand/interest for a second weekend at places entrenched in the sports history while still being able to evolve the schedule with some new locations.

I'm totally in favor trying 2-3 INDY/NASCAR weekends. I love both forms of racing and would be all over attending something like that! Michigan or Pocono would be great if they could make either place safe enough to return....

Back
Top Bottom